🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Aftermath Of The War Of Wrath. A Rhyming Story (Not Really).

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
"Why all of the senseless destruction? Are people really so lazy?" A giant raven who just happened to be one of the more animalically-minded Ainur and an ancestor of the Crebain surveyed the ruins of Beleriand. "I was comfortable there. Plenty of interesting, albeit tragically featherless and unsophisticated, peoples probably were, too.

"Yes, what about those people? Do the Powers Of Arda truly believe that what they have done here is just? It's none of my business, of course, but plenty of these flightless simpletons actually worshiped their murderers! Heh. Old Mandos will have his hands full for quite a while, won't he? That'll keep them from interfering with my research for an Age or two! I heard that most of their servants saw this war as a great undertaking for the good of the pathetic masses!

"Why, if all they're saving is a select few Atani? And whatever small number of the Firstborn that can still stomach their masters? I predict that not only will the Powers keep their hands free of Middle Earth for a while, but most of the Firstborn who survive will wish to stay on what's left of their home land. I had never really cared much about the activities of the Enemy, but I knew that his lair was deep and far-reaching. Utumno, Utumo, Autonomous? Something like that.

"Wasn't there a better way to extract him? That is why I say that they were lazy. How weak had he become by the time they hauled him away? And the forces of Valinor could easily handle the misguided souls who followed him. Destruction of a continent is very lazy. If I ever tire of the free lands, I will have to remind them! Poor Mandos. How many innocent and confused mortals will he be somberly greeting after this?"

On the way to the largely uncharted Middle Earth, the spirit's sharp eyes caught several bodies that had floated onto the many jagged remnants of Beleriand. There were ages and races of all kinds, some broken, pale, and scattered about the rocks, but still others that had miraculously been washed to the relative safety of flotsam-piled shards of land. The thought of helping the survivors did not even begin to coalesce in the spirit's obsession-driven mind. "A few more by the end of the day, by the looks of it." The few survivors were just starting to stir as the giant bird spotted the mainland and continued talking to itself.

Confusticated

Reaction score
Kazgir waded further inland to where the rushing water had since receeded. The dwarf went with heavy steps, and heavy was the soaked clothing and chainmail that Kazgir wore. Dazed, and chilled to the bone, wondering what in Arda could be the cause of this, the dwarf sought land.

The sea rushes inland to the mountains? All of Beleriand must be under water! Even Nargothrond and Menegroth must be crawling with fish by now.

Not that Kazgir had ever seen a "crawling" fish from the sea, but tales had been heard up in Belegost. In fact, a number of those dwarves had visited the Falathrim by the sea. Pearls, yes they were something very special to the dwarves, as they could not be found in the earth where the Khazad dwelt.

Each step became more difficult to make as Kazgir's feet would bury into the mud, and when those feet came down upon solid land, the dwarf collapsed without a care. But uneasy sleep was upon Kazgir, dreams of a treasure lost... how terrible for any dwarf. And, the poor dwarf's body had been beaten so badly in the tumult that it wouldn't fully recover for weeks.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
"Here, now! Get off of my foot, little Dwarf, or it'll be back in the sea with you!" Kazgir, weak from his injuries and still grainy-eyed from exhaustion, couldn't pinpoint where the fierce whisper was coming from. He sat up and looked around, but the voice sounded close, and all he could see was a magnolia tree leaning over him. Shaking his head, he stood up to move deeper into the shade and at least check behind the thing.

Confusticated

Reaction score
"Off of your foot? Go ahead and send me back to the water then, and you'll be chopped to bits!" Kazgir called to the general area, but there was no fight in the voice.

The dwarf slumped back onto the ground and sobbed. What did it matter with bones broken and Kazmir's precious gem lost... doubtless to the sea forever! The dwarf was is no mood for company, least of all a rude individual like this. "End my suffering then." Kazgir hurt all over, and did not care what happened in that moment.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
With a scoff, what had appeared to be a magnolia tree shook its roots out of the ground, stepped back, and opened a pair of large green eyes. After an evaluating look, she sighed and bowed while rolling her eyes. Quite sarcastically, "Forgive me, sir, for taking you for one of those uncouth savages! I have met many Dwarves, and, though you greatly resemble one, you couldn't possibly be one. Every Dwarf I have known was always more stubborn than the rocks from which they were made. Couldn't possibly be as weak as you!"

The female Ent took a ginger step forward, reaching out a curious finger to poke at him in examination. "Ah, but don't take that the wrong way, sir! Their hardiness is all they have, sadly. Because you are no Dwarf, you would have brains enough to accept help from an Ent, though. How lucky you are to have found me!" Pursing her scabby lips, she thrust her arms into the leaves around her head and started pulling various supplies out. Looking over several possible herbal remedies, she grunted to herself, "I am low on supplies, at the moment, and I never was very good at making things better..."

Confusticated

Reaction score
Well a tree was standing over Kazgir, speaking and moving just like a person. But the world was still young and full of wonders. And Kazgir had not traveled outside of Belegost until recently.

"Well suppose I am stubborn in my wish to be left alone! Either do what you said or leave me be. You think I need your help? But what could a tree possibly do for me, and what would it want in return."

The dwarf half believed that this was all a dream. What had happened, and why?

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Her hands stopped over the items they were sifting through, so that she could look at him with surprise. "Amazing! A Dwarf has just appeared before me! Ah, but who knows how long it could have been there? Ah, well, I wonder what happened to that pitiable fellow of a moment ago? I much preferred speaking with him, but, if you are all there is..." Here she gave him a long stare. "I will end your suffering, as you requested. For payment, I am afraid that your companionship will have to do. You don't look like one of those rich Dwarves."

She flicked a few supplies around negligently, grabbed one bag, then stepped over to the edge of the jagged island they were standing on. "Take what you like from my supplies, and I will do what I can for you, if you like. But now, I will catch some fish, and you will make a fire. I know that Dwarves are very good at making fires." After baiting her long toes with worms, she dipped them into the water and froze, watching for fish.

Confusticated

Reaction score
Kazgir found some herbs that smelled like they might help, and consumed them. Then began grumbling around looking for dry enough wood to ignite. It was painful business swinging the heavy axe to split the wood but the dwarf said nothing of it.

Kazgir relished the thought of a nice warm fire, and watched in amazement at the tree's method of fishing. I wonder if it has a name.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
At the point at which the fire is made, and the fish are getting ready, the Ent takes her supplies back and gestures to the sea. "So, what do you think? I like it. Who wants the land to stay the same all of the time? I think that it was time for a change. Now, people will really have to fight over what's left!" The thing shook with uncontrollable chuckles for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Confusticated

Reaction score
"Well I will not be fighting over it. My home is away east in the Mountains, and I expect, undisturbed by any of this."

Kazgir gazed into the east, but the air had become full of dust and there was no seeing the Blue Mountains where Belegost lay hidden.

As they spoke, the ground would occassionally rumble again. "I doubt much could have survived further west of here." and there was regret is Kazgir's voice.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
The Ent backed off and held her arms over a rock possessively. "Oh, you wouldn't fight over this small scrap of land? Well, that's good. I wouldn't stand for it. This island will belong to me, then. Blossomshade's Haven. But how do you believe you will get back to your cave cities? I haven't seen any boats on this island. Perhaps you could swim to that one." She pointed to another small remnant of Beleriand, then smirked and started pointing to various others, farther and farther away. "Or that one? Or that one?"

Confusticated

Reaction score
The dwarf slumped over in thought. Blossomshade hmm?The tree couldn't be serious about swimming that far, could it be?

But there didn't seem to be any other options. "I suppose I could learn to do it!"

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Blossomshade took a look at the fish, then tentatively poked him again. "When you're ready." With a grin ---> "To be honest, I know next to nothing about healing! If a little thing like you survived whatever that was, we may find others that can help you. You should sit on my shoulders, maybe try to keep my leaves out of my eyes." She "Hrm"ed at the water and shuddered. "I dislike swimming. Ents aren't meant for sea voyages." She grimaced, then let out a loud, "Ha! How would I look with a sail attached to me?" She headed back to her rock, from which she glared at the fire. "Don't get any ideas. You will make a raft, at some point, I'm sure."

Confusticated

Reaction score
Kasgir knew nothing of raft making. In fact the dwarf couldn't remember ever having seen a raft before.

"I suppose I can figure out how to build a raft. As long as I am able to keep alive on this island. But no thank you to getting up on your shouders. I will take your word for it. What do you know of rafts Blossomshade? And by the way you can call me Kazgir if you must call me something. Do you eat fish, or is this all for me?"

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Blossomshade waved a hand dismissively at the fish. "I have what I need, Kazgir. Hmmm... I wonder what that name means..." She touched a magnolia flower that dangled near her face. "We Ents are polite about our names. But you wouldn't want to tell me what your name means, especially now, when I have to give you this bad news: Ents are not made for sea voyages. Or even small river voyages. Why would I know anything about making a raft? Are not the Dwarves master craftsmen and engineers, born with a pick and a pen?" She gestured to the sea again. "I said that there were no boats on my island, but I wasn't joking, when I said that there may be one on another island. I have seen plenty of wreckage. Perhaps we can find something for you that will be easily repaired."

Confusticated

Reaction score
"We are master craftsmen, but unlike the elves we do not journey by sea. Some of us have used rafts, but I was not one of them."

Kazgir thanked the Ent for catching the fish, and ate it. Those herbs helped with he pain, but Kazgir felt in need of more rest.

"I suppose I should walk round the island in search of raft making materiels. Yes, but I need more rest first."

Kazgir didn't answer about the meaning of 'Kazgir', nor mention how uneasy the thought of water-travel made the dwarf feel. It was no use when there was no other way.

What is an ent? Whatever it is, I'm glad I met this tree. Thought the dwarf.

Thread suggestions