🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Best of The Best Tournament

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
We would like to make a short,but important announcement.

A new activity called The Best of The Best Debating Tournament is about to start in a week.When everything is completed it will be made visible for you.

The Best of The Best will be a tournament in which the best six debators will be invited to debate bewteen themselves-1vs1.The members of every Guild should choose their best Debator who will represent them.
We realize that due to some real-life problems the member that is chosen may not be able to participate sometimes.That is why you are allowed to choose a replacement.The replacement will be allowed to take part only in 30 persents of the tournament.
Of course ,if you believe that the One you choose can be online during all ten rounds of the debates,you do not have to choose a replacement.

That is why we,the organizers of the tournament,kindly ask you to choose your best debator(and his replacement if you want)and send a pm to me (Gil-Galad)with the two names.

The Organizers of The Best of The Best

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Well,that was the big project I was talking about.

Now we have to decide who is the best debator from our Guild.I do not think it is a problem actually.Eriol and me are part of the organizers of the tournament so we cannot participate.

I believe that Lhunithiliel is the best debator among us.I believe that Lhunithiliel should represent our Guild there.What do you think?

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Now... Before you go on with "Lhun - yes" / "Lhun - no", let Lhun say her own opinion.

A debator IMHO should :
1/ Have a very broad knowledge and i am using the word "broad" because I mean that the said person should have a detailed knowledge in the "peripheral" materials such as the Letters, various biographies of the author, essays, researches... Also this person must well know the content of the main works as well as that of the HoME - series. ...etc.... - Well, I don't think I have this kind of knowledge!
2/ Feel delight in debating - meaning that he/she should be the kind of a person who likes the process of convincing others on a certain issue - Well, I am not that kind of a person. I have a theory which has turned to be my credo, the principle of which is that everyone's opinion is right. If in midday someone tells me it's midnight - I'm most willing to accept his/her opinion for he/she must obviously have a reason to say this. So... you see? I am not the kind of person who would be the one to convince the counter-debator and the judges.
Besides, I find much more delight in researching and sharing info than in convincing people in my opinions.

Based on these two main reasons (apart from many other minor ones) I would say that I am far from being the best choice of the Guild!!!

Instead, my vote goes for Inder!

To the Organizers fo the "BoB" :

Perhaps you should think about the possibility to involve into the business of debating not only one person per guild, but let the Guild elect a few debators - each feeling stronger in a certain part of Tolkien's works. Let's say the topic covers the Silm - then a debator who is more learned in these matters and more familiar with the resp.HoME-volumes should be the one to take the debate... Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Nice try, wraith... you nearly convinced me that you're not "the one";)
Naaaaaaaaayy... not a chance, shadowy one... I've seen you debating, I've seen Inder debating, too... you're great... Eriol's an awesome debator (I had the chance of debating alongside with him...great experience, especially for the "greeny" I was then...), but he's "out" as Kingy said... too bad...
I know one thing (and that won't be another of my silly things I got used to speak very often;)):
considering those points... I'M NOT THE ONE (or even the other and so on and so forth...). That's for sure.
So...

I guess we cannot do that. Having in mind that it is 1 vs. 1 debates thingy... and the whole thing is called "best of the best"... I guess they (organizers) are looking for the best debator ever (gee, I wonder... how did I come to this thought?:D). What you're suggesting seems to me as the good old team vs. team tournament... just a thought :rolleyes:

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Well,nice try Lhun .........;)

First of all,Inderjit S can be your replacement if you are offline for several days.BUT.He has debated for GoS in the previous tournament and it will quite strange if he is our leader.Secondly he will be offline from February 15th to March 10th and after that he will start his preparation for his university exams.As you can see if we want him to be the One it is not possible,cause he will offline for about a month.
But I hope that he will agree to be your replacement at least. :)
What would you say Indy?

The idea of the tournament is simple.The best six to be gathered and to debate 1vs.1.Of course we know that some of the six may have real-life problems for several days or a week.That is why there will be replacements who will be allowed to participate in 30% of the tournament.

Lhun,we all hope that you will take the that important place.This is our chance to make our Guild even more popular.We should defend it's name and honor!!!!You and Indy(as your replacement) are those who can do it best!!!!

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
:D
Mum?...Playing a convincing game?;)
Sorry to say that, but you failed!:D

My vote goes for Lhun and Inder as her replacement.:)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Ah! But don't you see?!!!
I am not able to convince you even on such a simple matter!!!
How would you then expect me to convince other people in more serious matters?

If Inder is not available, we also have the wonderful Eledwhen, and Starflower, and Helcaraxe...

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
Errr, Lhun, face it, you are stuck in a corner with no retreat left. :p

Inder might have been a worthy match for you, but as GG pointed out, he debated for GoS, thus should not represent GoT in the best of the best tournament. As for the others you tried to push forward, yes, they are quite good, but as a replacement. You on the other hand, have both the better experience and the knowledge, neither fact is something you can deny.

However be prepared that the outcasts will push Nom forwards, as their best, so you'll have to play nice during your debate.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
One can never be sure with a Nazgul, you know, especially when it is a female.... and especially when this creature is "stuck in the corner"! :p

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
I think you all have misunderstood the message in my posts! I have no intention to make anyone ask / beg/ get down on four... :eek:
This is NOT it!!!

It's that I am overloaded with many things to do and on the other hand, I don't think I am a good debator, no matter what you 're saying, taking into consideration that all the debates in the previous tournament, in which I took part, were lost.

So, no... I really thank you all so very much for the kind words, but I simply can't clone myself and succeed in everything. And debates require a lot of time and a serious commitment, which ...in its turn again requires time... I simply can't afford it even if I wanted! :rolleyes:

So, let's start thinking about another candidate. I am sure that we have wonderful opportunities! Just look at the on-going debate with the Eruhini! :)

Manveru

Reaction score
Yeah... stop fooling around, guys (it's especially hint at me...geesh;)). If Lhun says she "can't clone herself" no one can push her (I know, I know you don't do this... don't shout at me;)). Just look below. Has anyone seen this post:
Helcaraxë said:
I don't know, I've never debated with her. Perhaps we could have an intra-guild "elimination" round to pick the best debater? Just a thought.

~Helcaraxë
Not "just a thought", Helcaraxë. It's a good idea... (better than "nominating" without accepting any refusal... let's see... I'm sure there are some "hidden pearls" just waiting to be found:D)

------------
(sorry, if my words seem to some of you too harsh... hope they're not so... *peace*)

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Ok, Mum. If it is against your will, we won't push you. After all, real life's more important. We don't wanna 'rob' it away from you. ;)

So, I give my votes to (since Inder is not allowed to):
-Helcaraxë - he's very convincing! I have had the opportunity to unofficially debate with him several times and am looking forward to our future debate. So he's a good suggestion!
-Statflower - another perfect debator too!
and
-Eledwhen, of course! She has proven to be very experienced and knowledged!
But if the Guild has other suggestions, I'll agree with the comunity decision.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Well,I do not think that there is something more important than defending The Guild of Tolkienology's name and honor.Lhun you are the only one who can do it ,you have greatest debating skills,and you are the ONE who can defend out Guild's honor and name.
As you can see,we all know say it-You are the One who we choose.You will have the time to rest,cause there will be rests every two rounds,and what is more Inderjit will be you replacement(in 30%of the debates) if there is such need .

I will take care of the Noldorin Forge,do not worry about it.

Will you despair all of us?

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Important!

All Guilds except for GoO and our Guild are ready with their best debators!!!!!

We need our leader.
As soon as possible.Everybody who believes that Lhun is the best let's say it here!!!!
And also I nominate Inderjit S for replacement.

I expect the others to vote ASAP!!!
Let's show who should represent the Guild of Tolkienology!!-Lhun!

Manveru

Reaction score
Hmm... I know I'll get my shiny angelic butt kicked for that, but...

Lhun...
(Mercy, oh! wraith...)

:D

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
hmmm...

Does anybody still doubt? :confused:

Mum, one step forward! Lead us.;)

In other words, Lhun.;)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean