🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Blue Istari

G

Gandalf 2058

Istari

I have a question concerning the blue wizards or the Ithryn Luin. I know that they went into the East with Saruman and never returned. I would like to know if there is any other book that tells more about them or what might have happened to them. If not, does anyone have their own ideas on what might have happened to them or their names or compared to the other istari how powerful were they?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I just finished reading the part in unfinished tales about the Istari, but it mainly says not much is known about the blue wizards. It gives their names in Valinor (I can't remember them now, but I know they're there) and that they are thought to have been corrupted by SAuron, but not in the same way as Saruman (it isn't more specific). IT also says that they may have begun secret 'magic' traditions that outlasted the Istari themselves in Middle EArth. I've only read LotR, the Silmarillion, unfinished tales, and a little of some of the HoME, so there might me more out there somewhere.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Telchar in another thread on the same subject
About the Blue Istari...
The other 2 wizards wore Blue robes, both of them, and they are never mentioned in the Lord Of The Rings because when they arrived to middle-earth they followed Sauron to the East and learnt from him to use the Evil power. They became malignant and disappeared from all knowledge. People say that they traveled far away to the East and there established the first roots of what we call today the Satan-Cult and other cults of the same sort.
In Unfinished Tales this is said;Unfinished Tales p. 504
Of the Blue Wizard little was known in the West and they had no names save Ithryn Luin "The Blue Wizards"; for they passed into the East with Curunir, but they never returned, and whether they remained in the East, pursuing there the purposes for which they were sent; or perished; or as some hold were ensnared by Sauron and became his servant , is not now known.
But in The Peoples of Middle Earth more is said;
HoME XII The People of Middle Earth p. 384-385

The 'other two' two came much earlier, at the same time probably as Glorfindel, when matters became very dangerous in the Second Age. Glorfindel was sent to aid Elrond and was (though not yet said) pre-eminent in the war in Eriador. But the other two Istari were sent for a different purpose. Morinehtar and Roómesámo. Darkness-slayer and East-helper. Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir rebellion.. and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in whitch they failed) and to cause [?dissension and dissaray] among the dark East... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and dissaraying the forces of East ... who would have both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West.

G

Gandalf 2058

Thank you Grond for your help. That answers my questions.

A humble Maia

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Your welcome good Gandalf yet Telchar did all the work. I but hit the copy and insert text buttons. One should be aware that the Blue Istari origins were never in concrete. JRRT wrote many different narratives concerning them and the last one from HoMe, the Peoples of Middle Earth was, according to Christopher Tolkien, the most definitive. But just because Chrstopher thought it was so doesn't necessarily mean that is the way JRRT wanted it.

Capeche??

Thread suggestions