🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Blue Wizards

Zenith

Banned
Reaction score
Any ideas on what happened to the Blue Wizards Alatar and Palando when they journeyed into the East? Did they join the enemy?

Mithrandir-Olor

Reaction score
When I read about the LOTR Sequel Tolkien started but abandoned I get the sense he was gonna have them be the villains of that.

Sulimo

Reaction score
When I read about the LOTR Sequel Tolkien started but abandoned I get the sense he was gonna have them be the villains of that.
Mithrandir, I am not familiar with this sequal. Is it in one of the history of middle earth books?

Eru Ilúvatar

Father Of All
Reaction score
The LOTR "sequel" is called The New Shadow. It's a fragment only about 30 pages long. You can find it in HOME 12.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I remember, minus my resources right now, the two blue Istari went with Saruman into the east and then Saruman alone returned. According to Tolkien, he believed that possibly the two blue Istari started some cults/followings in the East for satanic groups or something like that. I don't know if they had anything to do with "The New Shadow" at all or not though.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
From the Encyclopedia of Arda:

A translation of the term Ithryn Luin referring to the two least well-known of the Five Wizards. After landing in Middle-earth, they travelled directly into the far east with Curunír (better known as Saruman), so that they were never given names by the peoples of western Middle-earth. We do, however, have hints of what their names might have been among other peoples: some sources give Alatar and Pallando, while others suggest Morinehtar and Rómestámo. These variations needn't contradict one another: indeed, all the more famous Wizards had several different names.
The mission of the Blue Wizards was to travel to eastern lands occupied by Sauron, and help to foment unrest among his subject peoples. Whether they succeeded or not, even Tolkien was unsure, though he imagined that they had probably failed ('...I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron.' - The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, No 211, dated 1958). It's also uncertain why they remained in the east while Curunír returned: perhaps this was part of the original plan of the Valar, or perhaps Saruman decided he would have greater success in the west. Whatever the reason, his two blue-cloaked companions were never heard from again.
http://www.glyphweb.com/Arda/b/bluewizards.html

Galin

Reaction score
Encyclopedia of Arda wrote: (...) so that they were never given names by the peoples of western Middle-earth. We do, however, have hints of what their names might have been among other peoples: some sources give Alatar and Pallando, while others suggest Morinehtar and Rómestámo. These variations needn't contradict one another: indeed, all the more famous Wizards had several different names.
With Quenya Olorin and Sindarin Mithrandir for instance, both are intended to be names for 'Gandalf' within the world of Middle-earth; or for Saruman, Sindarin Curunir alongside Quenya Curumo.

What we have here however are two different texts with different sets of all Quenya names, with no indication that all these versions were intended to exist alongside each other.

These examples can easily be the result of Tolkien forgetting one set of names and later inventing another set, as Christopher Tolkien implies might be the case, and possibly JRRT never intended all four (or *five) to really exist within Middle-earth, no more than rejected 'Trotter' was intended to exist alongside Strider.

*Rome(n)star also appears.

Bard the Bowman

Archer of Dale
Reaction score
It's likely they relocated to Nardor. Whether or not they played a part in its downfall I have no idea.

Thread suggestions