🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Chamber of The Rangers

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
Nain stood up and bowed low to Elgee "Yes mi'lady. I do hope you will come along. You are the best with a frying pan since Samwise Gamgee." Nain said with a grin. "Well I am beat, goodnight Elgee, see you in the morn."
 

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
3
Location
Connecticut, USA
INgolemo and the others of Heren Istarion sat in their tent and talked long into the night. They talked of many things: days of peace, of war, of the valour of men and elves. They talked of the upcoming battle and of the Rangers.

"Dost thou remember stories," Ingolemo said. "Of an age or more ago. When the Rangers arose to glory and one among rose to kingship. I have come across books of this age. I fear the might of men shall never be as great."

"Speak not of might of men!" Alkorr said. "The men of Arnor are true and mighty in the least. Indeed the heirs of Isildur are not sitting in the throne but the fire of Ellesar has been put in the hearts of men of Arnor." Ingolemo conceeded and the talk went to a new topic.
 

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
770
Reaction score
1
Eve settled down outside the tent, and listened to the talk of the Istarions nearby. 'Indeed they are wise, and knowlegable. But the Rangers shall rise again, more powerful and great than ever they were...' She pulled her bedding out while her faithful horse munched peacefully beside her, but she was not weary. After awhile, she lay down and rested her eyes, but her mind was far from sleeping: thoughts of war whirled through her head, and the fate of the Rangers was intermingled. Slowly she opened her eyes to find Windrider standing protectively over her, and somehow, in some unexplainable way, it brought peace to her troubled heart and mind, and she was at last able to relax and wander through the strange dreams and sleep of the Elves.
 

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Joined
Aug 26, 2002
Messages
884
Reaction score
1
Location
Aldburg
(ooc: I would like to change my 50 men to: 30 spearmen and 20 archers, all shall have long sword and a dagger. The spearmen will also carry shields. All will be mounted. I will carry sword, spear, shield and long knife.)

Isildur layed back against his horse and sharpened his long sword Calimmacil under the night stars. His mind was both nervous and excited over the upcoming war. Isildur put down his sword, and he and his horse Flamefoot slept the night away.
 
W

Winterine

Guest
((OOC: ooooh dear, be away a short while for exams and look what's happened :eek: ))

Winterine was not particularly accustomed to being in the company of so many people, even if they were all rangers like herself, so when she was beckoned to join the council discussion she shied away, opting to acquaint herself with the various animals first.

She always kept herself close enough to hear the important things discussed in the council, yet far enough to be unseen. Nobody had since approached her. She felt a little awkward, having only a vague idea what the war was all about, and why her instincts had led her here.

When the Heren Istarions had joined them, she had looked on curiously, but again stayed out of the way of those who seemed to be charge, finding herself more comfortable conversing with common soldiers who took a liking to her. Few of those who led the individual armies, she realised, knew she still lurked about. Still, when they had left to march north, she had made it her business to ensure the animals were well stocked, and had then proceeded to ride ahead, breaking the trail for the others. She was a natural pathfinder; there was no terrain she could not cross stealthily.

Now, the combined armies were camped in for the night. Winterine gazed up at the stars as she leaned against her faithful stallion who rested peacefully. She had a few uncertainties she wanted to clear up about tomorrow before the fighting came, but everyone seemed to be already in cliques or preferentially alone. The person closest to her was one she had come to know of as Isildur. He seemed preoccupied with his own thoughts, so she decided not to trouble him. Every so often she would glance around, to check that all was well. Alone and comfortably without a tent, she calmly waited for morning.
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Meanwhile...

Back at the Weather Hills, a dwarf came riding to the hill upon a mule as stocky as himself. He looked the hills over, and then put a horn to his lips and winded it once. Seconds later, groups of waggons lagen with cut lumber and tools approached from the road.

The dwarf looked around. There were signs of recent habitation, but nobody was around (or so he assumed). "Come," he said, and all of the men and hobbits with him began unloading their cargoes.
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
"Hoy there! We're here on request of General Jahrdur, my friends. We're going to build you a place of strength between these hills; a place for your Rangers to make their Councils within," said the dwarf, who bowed, "I am Goldhram, the Emperor's friend and assistant. Who might you two be?"
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
The dwarf adjusted his beard and belt, "No thank you, sirs. There's still plenty of work to do ere we sup! I want to be ready to dig the foundation by tomorrow morning. Got to get all this stuff put away."

He bowed, "If you need me, just ask one of my assistants to tell you where Goldhram is. Fare well!" He trotted off and instructed the fifty or so men and hobbits with him to begin unloading the lumber and tools.
 

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
Tim and Tom nodded to the dwarf and headed off to The Rangers Chamber. They did not expect to find anyone which they didn't, they simply wanted a view of the work in progress. Tim and Tom stared out one window in awe. The workers went quickly, almost as quick as they did. When they soon got their wits back together they hurried off and prepared a meal for the workers.
 

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
A few weeks had passed and the fortress was coming along well. Tim and Tom were always seen running about getting some water for workers and making meals at night. Now the fortress was nearly half way done. Tom and Tim prayed at night that the fortress would come out well and finish swiftly.
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Goldhram was instructing a team of men and hobbits pulling on a rope that was suspending a large stone when a hobbit on a pony trotted up and whistled.

"Is Lord Onyxhelm here?" he asked.

The dwarf turned to him after signaling the team to hold. "No need for the title, sir. What do you need; I've got work to do here," he said, a twinge of impatience in his voice.

"Well sir, Lord Jahrdur has gone away...and has left you in command of Arnor."

"He did, eh? I always knew that fellow was out to get me..." he was whispering to himself, then caught it and spoke aloud, "Well, hm, I'll get things settled then be on my way. Good day to you, and many thanks."
 

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
Tim couldn't help over hearing the messenger and the dwarf talking. Tim tapped the dwarf on the shoulder and asked "Will you be finishing the fortress before you leave or shall you beliveing before then?" Time hoped the dwarf wouldn't pound him for eavsdropping so he stepped back a little.
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Goldhram beamed, "I will stay until I am sure that construction is well on its way. Then, I will leave one of my best men in charge and head to the Capital...much to organize there, I'm sure. Probably in a few days, I shall depart..." he looked at the hobbit's apprehension, "But come, my friend! Let us go and have a pint or two; I have a nice barrel just waiting to be tapped!"

The dwarf put his muscular arm around the hobbit's shoulders and practically dragged him off, singing in a rich baritone.
 

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
At first Tim tried to squeeze out and walk normally, but he soon gave up and was draggedn along by Goldhram. He also began singing until they arrived at the barrel the dwarf brought along. Goldhram whipped out two mugs and poured the two some drinks. Minutes later Tim was prancing, dancing, and singing around as the dwarf just laughed and kept drinking.
 
Last edited:

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
Tim didn't remeber much of that time. Closer and closer the fortress came to being complete. Tim really didnt want the dwarf to leave. They had become quite good friends, but he knew soon, Goldhram would be leaving.
 

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
2,207
Reaction score
2
Location
Baltimore, MD, United States
Several days later, as progress continued, another messenger arrived and delivered an encrypted message to Goldhram.

He looked at it for some time, translating it in his mind, until he finally made it out and nodded to himself. He burned it and broke the ashes, then returned to supervising the construction.

When Tim asked again when the dwarf would be departing, he responded, "I will stay here until this project is complete, friend."
 

Ecthelion

.................
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Messages
1,333
Reaction score
0
Location
If I tell you will you come say hi?
Tim's eyes lit up and a huge smile crept across his face. Many a night they drank their fill and danced and sang, and now Tim dreaded the day the fortress would be complete and his friend Goldhram would have to leave. That day would be coming quite soon.
 

Thread suggestions

Top