🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Dancing Pumpkin Inn

HobbitGirl

Aurë entuluva!
Reaction score
It was a beautiful, sunny day on the East-West Road. The trees on either side of the road were swaying with a gentle breeze, birds were chattering happily, and the air was thick with the aroma of new spring growth and newly bloomed flowers. Ashari Fairbairn the Hobbit trotted happily down the road, savoring the sweet spring air and humming a merry tune as she went. Her blue cloak fluttered behind her in the breeze and stirred her brown curls.

As she walked, Ashari spotted someone coming towards her from the road ahead of her, from the West. She was a human woman somewhere in her early twenties, with light brown hair waving behind her as she walked and olive green eyes. Ashari vaguely thought she recognized the woman, but she didn't say anything until they were only about twenty feet away. Then Ashari knew for sure. The other woman had also recognized her.

"Fiara?" the hobbit asked, her voice squeaking slightly.

"Ashari?" the woman said, disbeliveing.

The two let out shouts of delight as they recognized each other. The old friends ran up to one another and embraced, Fiara stooping so Ashari could hug her. They separated and Fiara stood up, both of them laughing.

"How long has it been? Five years?" Fiara asked with a grin.

"Too long," Ashari said. "How have you been?"

The pair walked westward together, reminicing and laughing for many hours. Eventually they came to a space on the side of the road where there were no trees, and wildflowers were dotted here and there across the grass. The sun was setting, so they set up camp in the medow. They talked long into the night.

"So what inns have you been in lately?" Fiara asked Ashari as they sat down on the ground to eat dinner.

"Inns?" the hobbit said, tilting her head thoughtfully. "Not many. I've played the harmonica in almost all of them, yet there seems to be a lack of appreciation for music and poetry these days."

"I know how you feel," said Fiara, a little sadly. "You know how much I love music and how much I love to dance. I try to get other people to dance at all the inns I go to, but there seems to be a lack of merriment in general. Everyone's too busy getting drunk."

The two sat in silence a moment, each preoccupied with thier own thoughts. Suddenly Ashari stood up, nearly knocking Fiara over on her way up. "I have it! Why don't we build an inn?"

"What?" said Fiara.

"An inn! Of our very own! Why not right here?" The hobbit gestured around the field. "It's certainly big enough, and level too. We don't even have to clear any land for it. Over there can be the stable, and over there can be the rooms. It's perfect! Besides, it would be the only inn between the Forsaken Inn to the east of here and Rivendell to the west. Why not?"

"That is the best idea I have ever heard!" said Fiara, jumping up next to the hobbit. "Let's do it!"

The two friends parted the next day, one headed for Rivendell and the other for Bree. They gathered workers and supplies and journeyed back to the medow. They spent months on constructing the inn, making sure everything was perfect and that it would indeed be the best inn from Rivendell to Rohan. Finally all thier long labors paid off. The inn was built, the rooms were furnished, the stable was filled with hay and horses, and the bar was filled with drinks both alcoholic and non. All that remained was to give the inn a name. The workers put out many different suggestions.

"How about 'The King's Pride'?" one tall worker with black hair and a lisp suggested.

"The King lives too far away too ever stay at this inn," a stunted, scrawny fellow with sandy hair retorted.

"What about 'The Prancing Pony'?" a butch, slow-looking fellow put in.

The scrawney sandy-haired man slapped the butch man on the head. "That's the name of the inn in Bree, you leather-head!" he shouted.

Fiara put her hand to her chin thoughtfully. "What about...'The Dancing Pumpkin'?"

There was a murmur of delight all around the crowd. Everyone looked pleased with the name, except the scrawny fellow. "That's the silliest name I've ever heard!" he shouted.

"'The Dancing Pumpkin' it is!" shouted Ashari. Soon the sign above the door was painted with a picture of a fat, bright orange, smiling Jack-O-Lantern that had arms and legs dancing about. A sign below this one said,

"The Dancing Pumpking is now open! Come on in! Have a drink! Get a room! Dance a little! Every hour is a happy hour at the Dancing Pumpkin Inn!"

OOC: This is an in-character rpg-like bar. We serve all sorts of drinks, alcoholic an non-alcoholic. We have many comfortable rooms. We have a stable to accomidate your mounts. Here's a list of the staff:

Owner and Entertainer: Ashari Fairbairn, Hobbit and Mithril Knight, merry and fun harmonica player.

Bartender: Fiara Romita, High Ranger, partyer and dancer extrordinaire.

Bouncer: Pat Strekolla, the butch, slow-looking worker, kinda slow in the head but very beefy.

Stableman: Batnum Barfus, the stunted, scrawny, sandy-haired fellow, pessimistic and snide.

Waiter: Tom Oboue, the tall, black-haired dude with a lisp, absent-minded but very nice.

More postitions are open! Entertainers would be appreciated, as Ashari is going to have a hard time managing and playing harmonica all the time. More bouncers, waiters and stablepeople would also be very appreciated.

Come on in!

Ledreanne313

Reaction score
A tall elf rides up and takes a look around and sees Ashari and asks 'Will you please fill my canteen with water?' ANd takes out a silver bottle.

HobbitGirl

Aurë entuluva!
Reaction score
Ashari smiled as the elf walked into the inn. "Welcome!" the hobbit said. "If you'd like a drink, please see our bartender over there. Fiara is her name." The hobbit waved over to the bar where a young woman stood.

Fiara spoke up. "I'll fill up your canteen, if you wish," she said to the elf costomer. She took the silver canteen and filled it up with water from one of the taps behind the bar. She screwed the cap back on and handed it to the elf. "There you are ma'am. Is there anything else I can get you? An ale, perhaps? A sandwich?"

Ashari walked a little ways from the bar area and onto a small, raised platform that served as a stage. She took her little harmonica out of her pocket and began to play Cotton Eye Joe. The music filled the inn and spilled out of the door and onto the road.

Ledreanne313

Reaction score
'No no. This is fine, thank you.' Then she turns and watches the little hobbit play and then sits down and watches more. She has a smile on her face and is tapping her foot to the beat. SHe would take a couple sips of water, then she turned to Fiara and out of her pocket, she handed her a silver coin with a leaf imprint on it. 'Thank You kindly for the water, Lady'

Mablung

aka Mablung
Reaction score
Lolik spotted the Inn he had been told about on the horizon. Happy to finally reach his destination he pulled open the door. "Ah Fiara, Ashari its good to see some friendly faces. Nice new Inn you have here."

Ledreanne313

Reaction score
Ledreanne looks at the new comer and noods her head in a welcoming kind of way. The looks back to the entaining Hobbit!

HobbitGirl

Aurë entuluva!
Reaction score
Fiara gave a start when Lolik walked into the inn. "Lolik! The Grand Limbo Champion! Now we can party!" She filled up a mug with the finest ale and slid it down the bar towards Lolik. "Drink up, dude! It's on me!" She continued working around behind the bar, humming and smiling.

Mablung

aka Mablung
Reaction score
Lolik took the mug happily. "Thanks Ill always take free drinks. Don't make it too much of a habit though or this place will go belly up in a week. And considering how much fun this place will be by way of its owners that would be a shame."

Kailita

Return of the Redhead!
Reaction score
Saving the world, one recycled bottle at a time...
Kellis Tikéra was tired, hungry, and broke. Not a good combination for a thief. Sadly, things had been this way for her for quite some time, ever since the guild of thieves she had belonged to had been broken up by a group of meddling knights about a year ago. Well, such was life. Always a round of disappointments. But Kellis had learned to take what life threw at her and move on.

She strolled along the path, letting the cool breeze weave its way through her dark golden hair. She was a pretty girl with scheming brown eyes and a shapely form, probably in her late teens or early twenties. No one really knew. Kellis herself didn't even know, having grown up as an alleyway orphan and survived in the streets all her life. She wore a simple grey skirt with patches skattered over it and an olive-colored blouse with sheer sleeves, which had been a gift to her.

The nice weather was doing much to improve her mood...but the pangs of hunger continued to nettle at her stomach.

What I really need is a drink, she thought to herself. Something cheap that'll fill me up and hold me over until I can con some noble out of a couple coppers for dinner.

Coming to a bend in the road, she stopped, noticing an inn just a little ways ahead. Perfect. A cheshire cat smile crossed her face as she made her way towards the building, a new spring in her step.

Music poured out from the inn as she slowly pushed the door open and stepped inside. Hmmm...not too many people about...it must be a fairly new establishment, she thought to herself. However, the place had a warm, friendly atmosphere that made it seem very inviting.

Kellis's skilled eyes travelled over the inn and its occupants, taking in even the smallest details. She quickly spotted the where the music was coming from...a lively, curly-haired hobbit was prancing about on a platform just a little ways from the bar, busting out tunes on a harmonica like there was no tomorrow. Kellis grinned. She silently told herself that if she made any money this day, she would give a couple coins to the hobbit girl. Thief or no, Kellis had a soft spot for hobbits.

She sidled up to the bar, noting the brown-haired human woman humming behind it. The happiness that wreathed the inn was contagious...but Kellis reminded herself that she had a job to do if she planned on eating tonight. Seating herself at the bar, she looked about with her sharp brown eyes, waiting to find someone who wouldn't be harmed too much by the parting of a few coins.

Ledreanne313

Reaction score
Ledreanne noticed the bad conditions of the girl and took out two silver charms, placed them on the table near her, put her canteen back around her neck and left on her beautiful black horse.

HobbitGirl

Aurë entuluva!
Reaction score
"Have a nice day!" Fiara called out to the elf as she left the inn. She picked up a glass and began wiping it with a towel abent-mindedly. "Business sure is slow," she muttered to herself.

Fiara saw the girl only a few years younger than herself walk into the inn. She glanced at her once, but did a double take at the contrast between the tattered skirt and fancy blouse. Fiara let her eyebrow arch ever so slightly, then went back to cleaning her glass. The Ranger wondered what kind of girl this one was; if she had stolen that blouse, or if she had bought the blouse why she would wear such grungy skirt. She kept her thoughts to herself, however, and put on a friendly attitude. As the girl seated herself at the bar, Fiara asked her, "Would you like anything to drink? An ale? Some lemonade perhaps?"

Kailita

Return of the Redhead!
Reaction score
Kellis narrowed her eyes slightly as the elf left the silver charms behind...purposefully, no doubt. She fought down a scowl. Sympathy...pah. Who needed it? Not Kellis Tikéra, renegade rogue and princess of pickpockets.

But her attention was drawn quickly to the young woman behind the bar. A drink...yes, a drink was just what she needed. "An ale is fine, thanks," she said, offering a warm smile. It was one of her better masks. "Whatever's the cheapest."

She studied the human woman as she ducked behind the bar to fetch the drink. She looked friendly, but those green eyes didn't seem to miss much. She had an air of watchfulness about her...as if she had once been a wanderer or a ranger. Someone who had to live on their instincts to survive.

Best not to trifle with this one, Kellis told herself.

Mablung

aka Mablung
Reaction score
Lolik watched the girl curiously. She seemed to be scowling quite a lot and generally being bitter. From the looks of her she was not one to turn your back on. He studied her moves carefully then deciding that she wasn't going to try anything at the moment he went back to pondering his drink since the Inn was oddly silent.

Kailita

Return of the Redhead!
Reaction score
As she waited for her drink, Kellis noticed the man on the other side of the bar eyeing her cautiously. Hmm...he didn't seem too hard off. But he was watchful, which could work against her if she wasn't careful. Best to just be friendly...

She nodded to him, shooting him a charming smile - very different from the scowl that had almost crossed her face a few moments before - then calmly turned back to the bar, skillfully watching for a reaction out of the very corners of her eyes.

Mablung

aka Mablung
Reaction score
Lolik gave a polite nod to Kellis then ordered another drink. The way she had been looking over his clothes did not help her case much.

Kellivara

Reaction score
The Phoenix Lair Pub (come on in! have a drink!)
*Kellivara walked in just then and immediatly felt the very cheerful presence of the place, but at the same time her instinct told her to be weary, and as she approached the bar she immediately understood why. It was so obvious of this girl's profession, but of course, a thief is very easily noticed by a thief. Kell grinned slightly under her hood and calmy ordered an ale.*

*Once served, she walked over and sat about three bar stools away from Kellis and held up a dagger she had pick-pocketed form the theif.*
"This is amazing workmanship, where ever did you get it?" she asked Kellis, barely keeping a straight face, still covered by her hood, at the incredulous look on her fellow thief's face*

Kailita

Return of the Redhead!
Reaction score
(OOC: Kellivara...you're still a Drow, right? :rolleyes: )

Kellis noticed the hooded Drow enter the inn and saunter up to the bar. The golden haired thief kept her eyes straight ahead, being sure not to turn as the mysterious newcomer passed...but as soon as the Drow had walked by her, she went on the alert. Something wasn't right...something felt wrong. Lighter.

Kellis felt the strong urge to growl out a swear, but kept her face composed and her features nonchalant as she turned to face the Drow, already knowing what she would see.

"It was a gift," she said coolly, answering the question asked of her, "given to me by a friend of mine. A knight. We worked together once...hunted thieves. I've cut off many a hand of a pickpocket with that particular dagger." She smiled coldly. "I don't take kindly to those who borrow without asking."

With a civil nod, she crossed over to where the Drow was sitting and took back her dagger with a polite, "Thank you." She then glided back to her seat and placed down two silver pieces - two silver pieces that she hadn't had in her possession until a few moments before - on the bar in front of Fiara.

"That should cover what expenses I owe. Another ale, please, when I finish the first. And the rest goes to the hobbit."

She nodded in Ashari's direction, smiling ever so slightly.

HobbitGirl

Aurë entuluva!
Reaction score
"Mugs of ale for old friends and mugs for new!" said Fiara with a smile. She filled three mugs with the finest ale (only the finest for all her costomers) and slid one down to Lolik. She plunked the second one in front of the girl with contrasting clothes and motioned for Tom, the waiter, to bring the third to the Drow seated at the table a little ways away.

The newcomer was indeed a Drow, that much was clear, even though the silver hair was not something Fiara had ever heard of in the Dark Elves. When the silver-haired patron held up the dagger belonging to the girl in the green blouse, Fiara raised her eyebrows and opened her mouth in anger. She would not tolerate pickpocketing in her establishment. She opened her mouth to call over Pat, the bouncer, but the girl glided over and took her dagger back. Fiara closed her mouth and contented herself with a growl, for the inn's reputation had yet to be formed and she didn't want to make a scene.

As the girl plopped two silvers onto the counter Fiara arched one eyebrow. With a mug of fine ale costing only five coppers, and twelve coppers to a silver, the girl could get four ales with change left over with this much. The Ranger looked over at Ashari, who shook her head. Fiara looked back at the green-bloused girl and said, "This'll get you four ales, so four ales you will get." Fiara took the silvers and bent over under the counter, rumaging for a bit. She came back up with four coppers in her hand. "You're change, ma'am."

She plopped the coppers on the counter and rested her elbows on it. "By the way, miss, what might your name be? This place is still rather new, and there's not many of us around, so there's no need to be secretive. Myself am called Fiara. My hobbit friend with the harmonica over there is Ashari." She gestured over to the waiter. "That black-haired fellow with the tray is Tom, our waiter." She nodded towards the door. "That burly looking one is Pat, our bouncer." The Ranger looked at the girl again. "What might your name be?"

Kailita

Return of the Redhead!
Reaction score
Four ales, hm? Kellis thought with a wry smile. Well, she certainly wasn't going to turn down a couple more drinks. She could save the coppers for another day, since the Harmonica Hobbit Girl didn't seem to want any charity. Kellis's smile grew a bit. Perhaps the little hobbit wasn't too different from herself.

Pocketing the money, she listened closely as the bartender introduced herself and those she worked with. Kellis committed the names to memory. Best to know all she could about these people, just in case, so as to not be caught off guard.

Her mind went into a buzz when asked for her name. Oh my...what alias to use this time? The name Kellis Tikéra was infamous all across the city she had grown up in...but that was quite a ways from here. She glanced around the room, just to assure herself that there was no one in this establishment who looked familiar, or even remotely Magdalanian.

Oh, stop being so paranoid, Kellis, she scolded herself. Magdala's thousands of miles away...and I'm not heading back that way any time soon. Might as well just start over here...

"I am called Kellis Tikéra, wanderer and adventurer," she said smoothly. "I've been on the road for quite some time...just needed a place to stop for a moment or two and rest up a bit." She offered Fiara a smile. "You've got quite a nice establishment here, for a spot just starting out."

Kellivara

Reaction score
The Phoenix Lair Pub (come on in! have a drink!)
*Kellivara snickered as the young thief took the dagger back* "Aye, I thought as much, I knew you would notice its absense. 'Tis a good thing in your line of work." *Kell flashed Kellis a 'do not worry, I will not tell them' look, and immediately knew the girl had understood*

*Kellivara let out another snicker as she heard a low rumble coming from the harmonica player.* "Osh, do not fret, little hobbit, 'twas all in fun, all in fun."

Thread suggestions