🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
I started this thread because
A: It came up in the "Favorite Series not by Tolkien" thread.
B: A seperate conversation came up about it.
C: Grond gave it the boot out of the thread :D
D: I didn't want the conversation to go to PMs.
E: I love the series and can't wait for the next one.

So, start talking ... now!

I picked up "The Gunslinger" when it first came out and I've been totally hooked every since. The last book (Wizard and Glass) was incredible. Roland story of this youth and lost love was one of the most gripping things I've ever read. I hadn't been sucked into a story so hard since I read Frank Herbert's "Soul Catcher".

I did notice, especially in the last book, he started throwing around a lot of character links to his other stories. The only other SK I've read is "The Stand". Do we have any heavy SK readers that can identify most of them (the links). My younger brother thinks he's going to link every one of his other books into Roland's world.

I said to start talking! We'll ... I meant typing.

Last edited:

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
Oh thank goodness!

I was quite saddened to see the DT conversation end! Thanks for starting it again! I am a HUGE fan of SK...in fact I received my two signed books from Stephen King TODAY and was so excited I jumped all over the house like a big fool! One of those books was Wizard & Glass, my favorite (so far) of the DT series, because it talks about Roland's youth and who he was before he was so hardened by his quest. I have all but maybe 3 of King's books and many of them are connected to each other. I loved The Stand and IT but the DT series are my favorite, and I have read the series is "King's 'Jupiter'" which you could say might be 'King's LOTR' as it were, in terms of scope and depth of characters, and connections. Can you see I love this subject?
Not to offend the fans of Tolkien----I LOVE LOTR---but it is rare for me to meet a fellow SK fan, let alone someone who actually READS and doesn't lazily "wait for the movie". I hope this thread continues!

A

aemmett

Stephen King has to be the KING OF HORROR, closely followed by Dean Koontz. However, I have not read The Dark Tower series because I didn't feel that SK would be as good at fantasy as he is at horror. After reading your various comments I think I should buy the books and be a little more open minded and not make assumptions. The Stand is my all time favourite SK novel but I was disappointed with the film version. I suppose that's the price you have to pay when you prefer to read before seeing the movie.

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
Hello, glad to meet a fellow SK fan! I really hope you will go and read the Dark Tower series, especially if you are a true fan....these are books not to be missed! And I agree with you that King is the horror master, but if you have noticed there are books that aren't really "horror" in the true sense of the word, i.e. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Bag of Bones, The Eyes of The Dragon, etc. Of course they all carry the element of horror, as does the Dark Tower. So please read them, I'd love to hear your thoughts after you do!
By the way, I too count The Stand as one of my favorite books, and was also disappointed with the film...but it wasn't as bad as, say, "IT". I think The Green Mile is the best film adaption of King's books. Although I did like the guy who played Tom Cullen.
M-O-O-N! That spells Tom!
hehe

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
aemmett,

The Stand is also one of my favorite books but that's not what I came here to say. I came her to say that if you like SK and you like TLOTR, and you like what most people seem to be referring to as fantasy*, you have to read The Dark Tower books. They're great!

And welcome to the forum!

*Not trying to start an argument or thread turn but you'll never hear me referring to any JRRT writings as "fantasy".

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Thanks to an afternoon off. Else I never would have stumbled on this one. I'm a fan of the Dark Tower series. How pissed off I was after the third book. Where was the fourth?!
And of course afther the wizards glass, I'm waiting for number five.
It is so cool to reread some of the other novels by King, to find out how much of the Dark Tower is hidden in them and vice versa. The riddle game with Blain is great too, Why did the dead baby crossed the road????:D

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
Why did the dead baby crossed the road????
Because it was stapled to the chicken! LOL.....hail and well met, fellow DT fan! Have you been to the Official Stephen King website? Because there you will find a prologue to DT5, as well as info on when the next books are coming out. It has been a long wait, hasn't it? At least there are things to keep us entertained until then, with Black House (wonderful little Dark Tower hints in there too) and the upcoming TV miniseries, "Rose Red". Long live the King! :D

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Sounds great, thanks. Is that simply www.stephenking.com ? I'll try for myself anyway.

Whats the difference between a truck-load of groundhogs and a truck-load of bowling balls?
(to my shame I only have the dutch versions, financial restraints keep me from purchasing the original English)

Moonbeams

Spilling Moonbeams
Reaction score
I'm a great fan of Steven King. I think I have every book he ever wrote. He is a wonderful writer. Each of his books has a totaly different topic than the other, he wrote about everything, from UFO's to ghosts. Favorite books written by him... well... The Stand, and Talisman, the one he wrote with peter Straub. Now, That's one great book. I must have read it 10 times.

But somehow I find his Dark Tower series quite boring. I admit I only read the first one. And had a very big lack of interest when reading it. Maybe I'll try again, to see what you all found interesting in them. So, what is so interesting in the Dark Tower? Does it get better as you go on to the second book?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
It does, IMHO, it really does get better when the serie progresses. The interesting part of it is that somehow the Dark Tower series contains a lot of references to other novels by King, and vice versa. I'd say, give them another try.

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
Whats the difference between a truck-load of groundhogs and a truck-load of bowling balls?
heheh, in my book it goes, "what's the difference between a truckload of bowling balls and a truckload of dead woodchucks?"
the answer being "you can't unload a truck load of bowling balls with a pitchfork!" hehe..pretty gross riddle, eh?
Hello Moonbeams....well I wanted to try to answer your question about what is so great about the Dark Tower...and suggest you give it another try. I was hooked from the first line, "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
These books are wonderful because the story is great...How the Dark Tower, the 'nexus of all possible worlds' is falling, and the quest of a gunslinger to save it, and in doing so save all the worlds connected to it. The gunslinger character is particularly interesting, being a "kind of knight" whose descendent line goes back to Arthur. There is so much detail, so much going on in these books..you are drawn into that world.
Then you find there are pieces of the Dark Tower story in many of King's books so that they are all connected, just as all worlds are connected by special doors in the Gunslinger's world.
These are my favorite books, can you tell? And if you like the others you'll have to read this series. And yes, the story is more interesting with each book...the fourth is the best in my opinion.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I forgot about the dead part, but........ woodchucks? I'm learning by the hour here on this forum.

The Gunslinger was supposed to protect the Dark Tower? I always thought it was a bad thing. Anyway, after Hearts in Atlantis I was in doubt again, and now Luna only makes it worse. Thanks a lot! ;)

Greenwood, Luna states it better than I did, IMHO the serie is worth another try.

(STORY SPOILER)

Here's one of the riddles that makes sense in Dutch, but I'm unable to see the English equivelant:

literlally translated, it would be: When is a guy not a guy?
It's the second one Eddie asks Blain, the one that costs Blaine some effort again. After the one, What has four wheels and flies?

Moonbeams

Spilling Moonbeams
Reaction score
Luna,
I read "Hearts in Atlantis" a while ago, and the guy, Ted, he was from Dark Tower, right?
His power was realy interesting, and the fact that those awful monsters dragged him back... I actualy had a dream about it.
I think I'll get the second book, and give them another go. He is, after all, one of my favorite writers (not only because he loves Tolkien too, he he), and somehow, I can't imagine him writing a bad book.

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure which riddle the "when is a guy not a guy" is...though it seems familiar. I'd have to look through DT4 to see for sure but...I'm lazy today, hehe. The other? What has four wheels and flies? I believe that's the town garbage wagon? ;)
And I don't really think it is the gunslinger's job to protect the Tower, he has to fix it somehow, because it is ailing and causing the ruination of all the worlds along the paths of the beams. If that makes sense, haha. It is a complicated story with so much detail involved, and like Moonbeams said, he loved Tolkien too. The DT series is King's LOTR.
Moonbeams..yes Ted was from the Tower (though I don't think he was quite human) but the Tower has many levels, not all of them good. The Crimson King lives on one of these and he is far from good. He is mentioned in "Black House" and "Insomnia" (at least 2 where I know he's mentioned, that I can think of offhand) and still I am not 100% sure what role the Crimson King (or Ted Brautigan) play concerning the Tower. There is so much..."low men in yellow coats" for instance, it takes a lot of thought to piece them altogether.
Still, I think you should read the series, I think the more you read the more you'll like. My personal favorite is Wizard & Glass and I've read it too many times to count. Try 'em, you'll like em!

And remember: All things serve the beam! :D

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Thankie-sai honorable Luna **taps his throath three times** you have given the correct answer.:D

Interesting viewpoints. Darn, I can't wait till the fifth episode hits the stores.:(

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
HEY!! I'm so psyched my thread finally took off. It kind of just sat there for a while at first.

Moonbeams, read "The Drawing ....", you should be totally hooked by its end and the books keep getting better.

I have to read more of SK's other books, I'm definately missing out on some DT content there.

Between the SK and the HoME I've got this huge backlog of things to read. Cool, I guess.

Thanks for posting here!!!!!!! :D :D

Luna

A New Moon
Reaction score
DGoeij...I can't wait for the fifth book either, and it has been a long wait! King has said that the last books in the series would all be released at once! And that will be in a couple years. At least, according to the Official Stephen King Website. Have you read the DT5 prologue on that site? It kind of speaks to the "thunderclap" thing, and starts a whole new dimension for the gunslingers to experience on their quest to the Tower.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
I saw it, I need to print it out, way to long to read on a screen. Considering the length of my 'to do' list, I'll get back to you.

Thread suggestions