🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Definition of GOLLUM, any other definitions of names?

Diabless

Reaction score
I found this out today:
Gollum is originated from the Hebrew word Golem
Golem is pronounced GO-lum (emphasys on the GO(like in the movie))
(I used pronounce it go-LUM (emphasys on the LUM)

Golem- a creature of Jewish medieval folklore, a golem is the figure made into the form of a human and given life; the creature is then slave to its master's commands.
-This is taken from page 48-9 of The Jewish People's Dictionary of Jewish Words by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic

I can interpret this to mean that Gollum is a creature sort of like that except he is slave to the Ring. I guess the Ring sort of created him because before the Ring he was Smeagol before he knew about the Ring, and then he murdered Deagol and the Ring became his but in truth the he was the Ring's Ooooh

Anyone else who has reasons for people's name, it would be cool to post here.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I think the word 'frodo' is Old English, and means 'peace'. This would fit in with the fact that Frodo always accomplishes his missions, both small activities and the actual Quest, with peaceful means. I don' think he actually kills anybody in the whole book! I've read this somewhere, can't remember where...

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Frodo is Germanic, connected with old word fród 'wise by experience'. Frodo's 'real' name was Maura ~ compare archaic Rohirric maur- "wise, experienced".

Forgotten Path

Reaction score
I'd like to think that Tokien knew Golem meant that, and so he gave that word to Gollum, since he is a slave to the ring. Where did you find that out, anyway?

It sounds fitting that Frodo means peace, because Frodo didn't want any deaths. He wouldn't cary a weapon in Mordor, and tried to prevent deaths during the scouring of the shire.

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I think Tolkien probably knew about golems when he thought up Sméagol: I've always found the 'sound' 'gollum' that Sméagol supposedly made to be very odd indeed. I have to idea what it sounds like to actually half-gurgle the 'word', and I've thought of it rather as a word or a curse Gollum sometimes mutters; but if he 'gurgles', it would be better to name him Glonk (his Finnish name is Klonkku, which is a bit better; and even etter if you take off the -ku.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
What's the source of Frodo meaning "peace" in O.E.? (maybe thinking of frið?) Compare Old English fród "wise", fródian "to be wise"

In any event, JRR Tolkien used it because "Frodo", a name from Germanic tradition > Old English form Fróda, has its "obvious connection" (saith he) to the word fród, etymologically meaning 'wise by experience'.

Note Samwise on the other hand, from Old English for "Half-wit, Half-wise"

Last edited:
M

MarkJ

Well one name I would place a hefty bet that Tolkien knew the meaning of is Grima ( as in wormtongue ). It means "mask" in anglo-saxon.

Talarion

They're thieves!
Reaction score
Hey has anyone listened to the BBC Audio Cassette for the Hobbit? It illustrates him doing his gurgling quit well, and they pronounce his name like go-LOOM... not GOL-im like in the movie. Looks like there is a misunderstanding somewhere. Anyone know which on is the correct pronounciation?

Thread suggestions