🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Elessar

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Ahh, the Green Gem in which the sunlight was captured yet radiated green. What do all of you think, Tolkien going back to Silmarils thing. I truly enjoyed the story. What do all of you think of the Elessar?

Strider

Reaction score
lol, i wonder if you'd read anything other than tolkien books, that was from one of the expansions, now, why in the world can't i remember that damned author's name?

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
Strider, are you thinking of the HOME (History of ME) books? They are papers and stories by JRR Tolkien, that were compiled by his son Christopher Tolkien.

Strider

Reaction score
THANK YOU, i finally remembered, yes the ones by Chris Tolkien, they're not very well known, but they relate to tolkien's style. i swear, i could kiss ya for telling me that one! it's too bad that someone else is queen of gondor right now, because i swear, one i reach high king and my sword is healed, i would have made you my queen. LOL, i sound like a freak...
:eek: ;) :cool:

Strider

Reaction score
lol, let's say i enjoy to spread good cheer, that is my sword, and the humor of the inn is my sheild. my armor is that of my loved one, and my helm is that of the starry intellegence of life itself.
(not quite bragging, it's actually true in my somewhat miserable life)
ps- i'm no depressant or nerd, i'm a giant turd...
pss- wrestler, football player, lover, poet. need i go on?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Actually the Elessar was first identified in TLOTR, Chapter, Farewell to Lorien, PP391. In it Galadriel gives the green stone to Aragorn and says, "...This stone I gave to Celebrian my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope. In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil" she can only mean that Aragorn would be recognised by the stone and that Elessar means Elfstone in the high tongue.

Strider, I think the score is now Grond 3 Strider 0

Strider

Reaction score
oh, really, grond? then what do you say about the elfstone laid down in the middle of the bridge, for frodo and co to find? makes me kinda wonder about giving away elfstones, thus, elessar cannot be elfstone, i think i read somewheres that the elssar has something to do with i dunno, savior? besides, i don't care who beats me in what, as long as i get a say, thus, the score is 0-0, unless you insist i war to you, beware, i'm a whitecap...

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Originally posted by Strider
..then what do you say about the elfstone laid down in the middle of the bridge, for frodo and co to find? makes me kinda wonder about giving away elfstones, thus, elessar cannot be elfstone, i think i read somewheres that the elssar has something to do with i dunno, savior?
The stone you are reffering to was laid there by Gandalf, possibly to tell Aragorn that there where no enemies in the sorrounding area.

As for The Elessar, the green stone Given to Aragorn by Galadriel;
Elessar; High title and surname of Aragorn son of Arathorn. It was long foretold that he would take this name. It was given to him in Lórien by Galadriel. She granted him a gift of a green stone set in a silver brooch in the shape of an eagle as he and the Company of the Ring left her land.
"In this hour, take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil!"
-Galadriel

Last edited:

Greymantle

Reaction score
Actually, wasn't it put there by Glorfindel? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Strider, I would guess that you might be mixing up "Ellesar" and "Estel." Estel was the name Aragorn grew up with, given to him by his mother (I think). It was Elvish for "hope."

Strider

Reaction score
d'oh, your right, lol, i forgot that that was also strider/aragorn's younger name, but i thought the stone was laid by glorifindel too, greymantle, because i seem to remember frodo and co talking to th elf, and none saw gandalf until the very moment the water swept away the riders and killed their steeds.

Strider

Reaction score
telchar, do you know of other elfstones? anyone interested in this discussion, see the board...

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
... she can only mean that Aragorn would be recognised by the stone and that Elessar means Elfstone in the high tongue.
Right. The actual meaning is *Star-stone, from elen + sar (assimilation of n-s here in composition). Here elen is used to mean "Elf" however ~ there had been earlier confusion among the Edain with elen "star" and elda "elf".

In any event "Elfstone" yes :)

Thread suggestions