🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Fall of Gondolin: Out!

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
I've received my copy, thanks to Barliman.

I haven't had time for a complete read-through, but a couple of first impressions:

Same size and basic format as the previous two. Like Beren and Luthien, a compilation of texts, rather than a continuous narrative like The Children of Hurin.

The Alan Lee plates are "framed", instead of going to the edge of the page, again unlike CoH; I know this is the way Tolkien himself preferred things, but given the small size of the book, it reduces the impact of the illustrations a bit. Of course, the published Silmarillion has had at least two lavishly produced illustrated editions in the last couple of decades, so it wouldn't surprise me if we saw similar treatment of CoH at some point.

I've noticed at least one typo.

Anyone else have it yet? What do you think?

Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
This was in the book of lost tales right?, or was it in another one?. I'd like to own it regardless.

Edit: Not sure if this new book tells the tale as it is told in the Silmarillion or is it the version were there's lots of Balrogs?.

Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
So there's six versions of this story?, i thought there were only two?, oh mang.

Last edited:

Valandil

High King at Annuminas
Reaction score
I requested this for Christmas - and got it. Really look forward to reading this one, and will comment as I do. Did the same with "Beren and Luthien" - but I look forward to this one more.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I requested this for Christmas - and got it. Really look forward to reading this one, and will comment as I do. Did the same with "Beren and Luthien" - but I look forward to this one more.
Do let me know how it is. After I finish Hobbit I do want to read this one, but should I finish the Sil before I do? Thanks.

CL

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
^ Oh yes, this too!

Going from the early, heavily archaized BoLT version, or even Christopher's valiant attempt, in the published Silmarillion, to bring the story in line with later evolutions in his father's thoughts, to the gloriously fleshed-out version in UT, is a revelation. I'd compare the frisson it gave me to this:

I feel a pang of deep regret every time I come to the last page, imagining the riches to follow.

Unfortunately for us, "imagining" them is now all we can do. :(

Last edited:

naretari

Reaction score
Fantastic! Some of Tolkien's best writings. No wonder he never revised it.
I think Tolkien WAS revising the Fall of Gondolin, and I wish he had gone past the seven gates and actually rewritten the whole of Tarnin Austa and the battles. I truly believe that he had changed his concept of balrogs considerably, and in a revised version Rog and Ecthelion wouldn't have killed so many balrogs apiece. Alas, now we'll never know.

Thread suggestions