🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The FOTR is a financial flop?

Gloer

Reaction score
And that means the rest of the LOTR might end up in the hands of Hollywood butchers...
Not just minor changes.

But then that means even less money since even most of us will skip it and the rest don't catch on it without FOTR.

My hopes of improved editing and some narrative in the dvd version are dimmer and dimmer.

Hollywood does not understand myths. They are not fast sinking stuff. They sink slowly and deeply. Those films probably sell even 10 years from now as a whole. Whatever we think of the story telling, the visualisation of Middle Earth is very impressive and the interpretation highlights many aspects of the books that otherwise might go unnoticed. In time these movies will find their place in Tolkien-world. If Hollywood deems the films as a whole as doomed, they are shortsighted and probably playing for power in New Line Studios. And that sounds bad. For us.

It is not the Tolkien fans who are not going to the movies to see it. It is the masses who find Tolkien boring.

Tar-Palantir

Reaction score
A financial flop? I saw on one of the networks that it's predicted to gross between $70 and $80 million in it's first five days, which would put it up there with JP III.

If it took $300 million to make all three films, I'd say they have a pretty good start.

Greymantle

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this project can't go the way of the Bakshi, as they've already pretty much filmed all three. The only ill I wish Peter Jackson personally is that these films do flop financially...

R

ReadWryt

Greymantle,

Not true. Jackson doesn't have final controll over the project. New Line makes the final cut on the theatrical release and ultimately has the rights, not P.J. . Truth to be told, if this doesn't get the numbers then it could put New Line in serious fiscal trouble causing Warner Brothers to bail them out by absorbing them completely, then AOL/Time Warner will own the rights and the footage to do with as they please...

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
I haven't seen anything to suggest that these movies are going to do poorly. FOTR had a very high per-screen average over it's three day opening. While it didn't break any major records, neither did Titanic (shudder), another 3-hour movie. The studio has almost made back it's investment for FOTR in the first weekend, and I'm sure that it will make back the full $300 million long before FOTR is out of the theaters. Like it or not, we're going to be able to see all 3 movies as PJ intends, if not as Tolkien might have intended.
How can you want these to flop- if they break all the top-grossing records it will be a testament to Tolkien and his Middle-Earth.

Foe-Hammer

Reaction score
Gollum-esque

As we all know, Gollum was not above cutting off his nose to spite his face. The Precious had him under it's spell.
Some in the npw's guild have the same problem....

proudfoot

Reaction score
Yes. Does anyone really want to see the next two films cut to 90 minutes each of special effects? Coz thats what'll probably happen if the "Fellowship" flops.

Rhumatad

Reaction score
i feel that FOTR will not boom then rapidly fade out like harry potter (euch) but instead i think mosr ane more people will see it as the weeks go by until after a few months, people are dying to see it again and it has become a major success.
very much like gladiator, i had heard nothing of the film until a friend told me how good it was. i went to see it, then went again, and by that time people were realising that it was the best film to come out in a while and crowds flocked to the cinemas.
i think it may be the same with FOTR, that will pave the way for TT and ROTK to open with a bang.

Gloer

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the relief

"The Eagles are coming!"

It is always better to have a personification of evil that is all powerful and therefore responsible: Peter Jackson.
Than to have a faceless machine with no feelings nor passion, mere ignorance, to just twists the good story into a devillish and shallw orc. A story that flatly hails high moral while embracing decay.

It is generally good that PJ can finnish his job and therefore stands responsible for it. I wait patiently for the dvd release and the directors cut, then I shall judge his work finished.

I would like to quote Gimli and Legolas when they discuss the stonework of Minas Tirith. Gimli criticisess that the beginning is good, excellent but then late r it is not as good. He generalises that this is always the same with man, there is a promise of greatness at start but it never reaches it's full shine.
Then Legolas says that yet their achievements outlast those of elves and dwarves.

So it is with PJ too. A great promise, a grand start - but then not quite there even very badly done work here and there. And still with time also his work shall outlast the critics.

PS. I think the the nature of evil in the book and the movie should be compared.

Last edited:

Foe-Hammer

Reaction score
Gloer

Please start a thread comparing the evil in the book vs the movie. Sounds interesting....

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
It seems to me that the movie is doing really well. I think it will make well over the cost of making it. Does anyone know how long FOTR will be playing in theaters?

Arwen

Reaction score
LOTR a flop?........LOL :rolls around floor laughing:.....i cant believe you said that, at least back up your info if your gonna say that.LOTR is one of the biggest money making movies of this year and it hasnt even been out for a month yet......every cinema is jam packed full of people that cheer after the movie finishes, it has been getting AMAZING reviews........so explain to me how this is a flop of a film?

Earnil

Reaction score
Well it is now official that FOTR is a big success.
It has already made back the amount of money it cost to make the whole trilogy.

Yep! Worldwide it has made over NZ$600 million, and that is an approx estimate on what the whole trilogy cost. And it is predicted that FOTR will make somewhere in the vicinity of US$500 million.

This link shows the Domestic weekly breakdown of the FOTR box office.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/data/lordoftherings/

R

ReadWryt

Where are you getting this $500M figure out of the page you posted a link to? It says $174M... even if it makes that much in the rest of the year you are looking at $348M gross, which does not take into account that it was only the first week that New Line was making 80% of the gross themselves, with 20% of that going to the theaters. The numbers are different in the second week...80% of the gross goes to the Theater Owners, which means that in the first week New Line had a net gross of $86,397,600...since then their take has been $11,186,800 meaning a total of $97,584,400 so far for a movie that cost over a hundred million to make and god knows how much to promote.

Still, the $130 million figure was vastly understated -- the three scripts hadn't been written at the time, so New Line had no way of accurately calculating how much the films would cost. After the scripts were finished and New Line made substantial upgrades to Jackson's effects infrastructure, the budget increased to somewhere between $180 and $210 million when filming began in October 1999. And by the time the nearly 15 months of principal photography ended last December, followed by a long post-production schedule, the final cost ballooned to around $300 million.
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/11/15/lotr/index_np.html

Within three years the estimated budget grew by $170 Million! This thing isn't out of the red yet, and it's certainly not out of trouble, They need to clear an awfull lot in Pay per view and DVD sales, and they better hope they can squeeze Showtime and Starz for a hefty amount of green if they are going to turn a profit off of this.

Earnil

Reaction score
I guess I meant to say $500 million worldwide in US currency. Not just the domestic gross of FOTR in America. And anyway like I said it has already made back the amount it cost to ake all three LOTR movies.

Also, adding together the estimated worldwide gross soo far with the US domestic gross makes US$330,119,499 from the website I provided a link to. And using the exchange rate between NZ and US that comes out as NZ$793,366,288.36. Which is over a NZ$100 million more than the whole trilogy cost to make.

R

ReadWryt

$174 Million Domestic, $330 Million world wide. I don't know where you are pulling these rediculously huge numbers out from, the movie hasn't even grossed more then Planet of the Apesl or Jurasic Park III yet...let alone Pearl Harbor, The Mummy Returns, Rush Hour 2, Monsters Inc, Shrek or Harry Potter...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/2001/

...see, where, on the link you provided, it said at the bottom of January 1rst "Gross-to-date", that means the total domestic gross take up to that day...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/data/lordoftherings/

Arwen

Reaction score
Im sorry, but anyone who thought LOTR was gonna be a flop, is not human...no matter how "not like the book" it would have been, this movie would have done massivly well either way.

Earnil

Reaction score
All right then. Forget about the $500 million remark. Infact it will probably actually make somewhere in between US$300 million and US$400 million worldwide.

But the total it has made world-wide, US domestic (US$174,119,499) plus the Overseas-Gross (US$156 million) equals roughly US$330 million.

And now the amount NZ$793,366,288 is from converting the amount made world-wide so far (US$330 million) using the exchange rate into the equivalent in New Zealand currency. And $640 million is roughly what all three movies cost in New Zealand currency. And by doing this I am just showing how much more it has made than what all 3 cost to make together.

And here is some news that not many people know.
If all 3 movies together make 2 1/2 times of what they cost, then the Tolkien Estate recieve royalties from the films. Hows that so they do get some money from it afterall.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions