🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Great Debates' Matters!

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
THE GREAT DEBATES' MATTERS

MAKING THE TEAM OF THE GUILD OF TOLKIENOLOGY

I'm sure everyone of us is waiting with great impatience 18th May!,when starts the Great
Debates!Probably the Olympic principle that participation is of greater importance than
winning is true,but not in some of our Guild members' cases.The best thing we can do
for the GOT is to defend its name and prestige among the other guilds.Having that in
mind I believe we should be very careful when we make our debating teams.

First of all,the participants for every debate should be chosen by their skills.I mean
that everyone of us has some specific skills and different way of thinking,which make him a
unique member of our Guild.For example,Lhun,Gate7ole and Walter have an impressive
imagination(I've seen that in "The "What If"Game") and they are really creative persons,
Anatamar and Eol have interesting and analyzing style of interpretating Tolkien's works,
Beleg uses quotes in the best possible way,FOAT is everywhere and nothing happens without
him,Mrs.Maggott has so much experience from real life,and there isn't more stubborn member
than Fiduilas (I do not count in YaYGollum,cause he is really unique),and of course all new
members have ambitions and wish for participation,which all of us(the old dudes)have lost
with the time.If all these features are put together our teams will defend our Guild's name
and prestige among other Guilds.

I believe that to achieve success in the Great Debates we should do our best to compile
the most capable teams.I think that we should make our teams according to the opponents
we face and debate topics we have.For example,there are many members of other Guilds who
are experienced in debating and have many strong sides.The best way to oppose them is to
choose people who have almost the same skills or are even better.It wouldn't be the best
decision if our teams consist of "green members" and the other of experinced ones(most
of them are really very experienced).In addition I would say that we should choose our
team members having in mind the knowledge they have.I mean that some of us have read more
Tolkien's works than others,so I think that it would be a mistake if we put someone who has
not read UT or does not have much experience with it in a debate concerning II age,for
example.That is why,I think,that when someone applies for participation in the team he
should inform us which books he has read and how many times.Thus we will be able to choose
all participants according to their knowledge.

Finally,I should mention that all new members of GOT(or such who have not much experience
in debating)are welcome to participate too.The only way to learn how to do something is
to practise it.Thus,someday,there would be enough members of the Guild who would be able
to represent GOT in other activities.(It's like teaching the young generation ;)!).So
my suggestion is simple.I think that in every debating team of our Guild,together with the
experienced members,should be someone who has not much experience.Thus he will have the
chance to learn from the best.

In conclusion I would say that I hope we will save our dignity as members of GOT after
the end of the Great Debates.

p.s.That thread is for all things concerning The Great Debates.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Having in mind that the Tornament starts 18th MAY we should choose who will be in the first team.
The problem is that we have not got a big choice,cause actually we have to participate in two debates.It is almost impossible to be part of the both teams and do your best.What I want to suggest is to make the team for the Tournament from those who will not take part in that versus GOO.I believe the Great Debates are of greatest importance to us,so we have to make the best possible team for the first debate.

Our opponents team is :Outcasts
-YayGollum
-munchkin
-Nym
-The-Elf-Herself

As you can see Yay and Nym are the two who seem to be the most dangerous for us.I do not have any info about munchkin and The-Elf-Herself.Do you have any?

Beleg and FOAT are busy with the other debate about Saruman and Sauron.So Lhun and Gate7ole are the only other experienced members who wish to participate.Lhun,gate,would you mind participate in the first debate?Fin phoned me and she told me she would like to participate in the tournament's first debate.She has never debated and I think this time she can be "the green member" of whom I was speaking in my previous post.There is one place left.Anyone?!!!!!
I said ANYONE?

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
I want to announce that I talked with Eol and FOAT and we decided to postpone the debate with GoO about Sauron/Gandalf foolishness.So I did it.
We made that because in MAY 18th starts the Tournament and the other debate may ifluence negatively on our concentration.What is more,we need to make the best possible teams for the first round and the third one (versus Scholars-probably one of the most dangerous opponents).
Having in mind the program of the Tournament I'll suggest these two teams:
ROUND 1-GoO :
Eriol
Gate7ole
Gil-Galad
Finduilas -she is the first one from the so called "greenies",who will be included in every debate in order to gain experience.

ROUND 2-GoP :
??????
Eol
Anatamar
Luthien Tunivel
-we need a "greeny"who wish to participate.

ROUND 3-GoS :
Lhun
Gate7ole
Foat
Beleg -we need a "greeny" here.
I think that the fourth one can be also an experienced member because of the opponent we have.As you can see I've put Lhun and Gate again in the team cause they are among the most experienced members of the Guild,together with Foat.

Suggestion about next rounds and changes about the first three?

Last edited:

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
G-g, this is all very cool.
Only this time I shall have to do a thing that I hate most of all - excuse myself from an activity in the forum.

I simply cannot be able to participate in the 1-st round because of my daughter's graduation and prom-party. A lot of guests will arrive at home and I shall have to give them all my attention.
I am afraid, I will not have the time to prepare the posts, because whatever the topic is, it needs looking into much more than one book in order to prepare a good argument. I do not count ONLY on my imagination! ;) ;)

So, please, excuse me :eek: :eek: :eek: !

You can count on me in the further debates all right!!!

In my place, you may ask Eorl. I invited him to become a member of the Guild and he accepted. So, I guess we can count on him too. And he is STRONG in knowledge in T.!!!!

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Erm, one or two suggestions.
Seeing that there are in total to be five debates.

The First will be Against GOo.(Outcasts)

The Second Against GOp (Periaur)

The Thirs is against the GOs (Scholars)

The Fourth one is against G-O-Austin Edhil

The Fifth one is agains the GOe/d(Elves and Dwarves)

The Sixth one is again against the GOo(outcasts)

The Seventh one is again against the GOp (Periaur)

The Eight one is again against the folks at Scholars

The Ninth One is Against the people of Austin Edhil

The Tenth and the last one is against GOd/e(Dwarf/Elf)

I can say that for now, our focuses shoud be bent upon the first five.

And so on.

And Just onething more,

According to the offical Standings, these people are the Members of Our Debating Section as of now.

Lhunithiliel
-FoolOfATook
-Anamatar
-Beleg_strongbow
-gate7ole

Now I suggest we should talk with Pippin and ask him to add the other's also, if they want to participate.
What I wanted to suggest was that I think it would be better if member themselves voulenteer for the debates they want to participate in. Granted the scholars are very dangerous, but we MUSN'T underestimate any team. Every team to my knowledge contains people that can shine on any surface and that have the potential of Winning Debates Single-Handedly.

I would like to Debate against the scholars, if that's possible. And due to my exams I can't participate in the first debate against Periaur. :(

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Lhun,I do understand your problems,cause as you know I graduate to and my mom is in the same situation.
If Eriol wants he is welcome to participate in the first round!

Beleg,of course everyone who wants to participate in the debates or in definite debate will be welcome to join the team.What I meant was that we should choose the team very carefully cause our Guild's prestige depends on our presentations.
And,yes ,you will be of great importance for the debate with GoS,because of your experience.

We are looking for others who want to take part in the tournament?!I want to see some more "greenies"who wish to become part of this great event!

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Beleg -we need a "greeny" here.
Erm, some editing I deem...:rolleyes:
And Eriol indeed would be a great adition, specially if the Topic is anywhere philosophical in conception!

Erm, what is a Prom Party?
What I meant was that we should choose the team very carefully cause our Guild's prestige depends on our presentations.
I understand and agree with it.

Having in mind that the Tornament starts 18th MAY we should choose who will be in the first team. The problem is that we have not got a big choice,cause actually we have to participate in two debates.It is almost impossible to be part of the both teams and do your best.What I want to suggest is to make the team for the Tournament from those who will not take part in that versus GOO.I believe the Great Debates are of greatest importance to us,so we have to make the best possible team for the first debate.

Our opponents team is :Outcasts
-YayGollum
-munchkin
-Nym
-The-Elf-Herself

As you can see Yay and Nym are the two who seem to be the most dangerous for us.I do not have any info about munchkin and The-Elf-Herself.Do you have any?
Nom is a worthy and a knowledgeble oponent.
Yay-Gollum has the knack of sounding frightfully logical in his own achingly singular way.
The-Elf-Herself is a learned lady? with a very nice style and a brilliant common sense. Allthough i am not aware whether she has debated before or not, her manner of conduction shows that she would indeed be a tough oponent to face.
As for munchkin. Let's just say that we are not to underestimate anyone, however frail one might seem. He might or mightn't be a tough oponent.

But i have complete faith that our worthy team will be able to win the debate against our worthy oponents. :) :D

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Well, I'm willing to help as much as I can -- can anyone give me the details? I'm searching some threads about it, but if someone could give me the "digested stuff" (please, no bad jokes about that -- it's a common expression in Portuguese) it would be of help;

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
You just specify the questions Eriol and we - the "old and experienced debators" ;) :D will help in any possible way.
But, I personally hink, that the most important for you in order to participate in a debate is to bring your rich knowledge with you!
This will be so highly enough! :)
Of course, the in-team co-ordination is the other crucial point.:rolleyes:

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Ok, these are my questions:

I am online every day from about 11:00 to 20:00 (GMT), with a break for lunch. But in workdays this can't be taken for granted, and I don't have access to books or MSN. On weekends I usually am online after 0:00 on Saturdays, after 22:00 on Sundays.

Given that, how can we sort the details of intra-team communication? in workdays I am acessible only by e-mail or PM's, and this "rich knowledge" (hehe) is quote-less. I think I can help even so, but these deficiencies of mine should be known by you.

What is the "timing" of a regular debate? How often must the teams post? Is it one member at a time, or you can post pretty much whenever you want? Is there a limit on the number of the posts per team?

(I saw an old thread in which gate7ole said that it is pretty much "anything goes", but I want to make sure that this is correct for "official" debates -- he was addressing intra-Guild debates).

Finally, about the specific debates soming ahead - are the themes already chosen? Where can I see them if they are? I can't find them in the Guild, so perhaps it is somewhere else...

Thanks guys! What a nice welcome...

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
All right...
Now, let me see if I can answer your q-s one by one:

1/ About the time difference.
Yes, this is a big problem because the members are all scattered around the globe. But since you are from Brazil (if I'm not mistaken;) ;) ....Eeeeeh! Brazil!!!! :D ) you are more or less close to FoaT's time, the same - about Eol. Then, when it is afternoon in your part of the globe, it is late at night here in Europe, but G-G, just as me and Hirila and Finduilas are often on-line till late in order to talk some things over on MSN.

2/ Preparing a post for the debate:
When a debate starts it is always by a post from a judge, who explains all the details - the topic, the time-period etc. Then, one team choses a side and the debate is open.

Now, it is a matter of intra-team decision who will be the first to post. It is also very important for the debators of one team to decide the "strategy" of debating too, how to defend their team's position, what the accents of the posts should be etc..
This is done best on MSN, but PM and e-mails can also do.

Then the opponents' team answers. and so the debators start to view the "picture" ;) and think of such posts and arguments and quotes that can crush the opponents' position.

3/ The Debate-Tournament:
All about it you can read here

Well???
Did I help? :)

gate7ole

Reaction score
Just dropped to say that I will give my best at the two debates our deputy GG has put me.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Guys,I want to announce that we are ready with the team for the first round.I'm sure we'll do our best and I hope that we'll win ot at least defend our Guild's prestige.
By the way I hope that during the debate the team will be able to rely on you,if we need some help.I do believe that the others(who are not in the first team)will read carefully the debates and will help us with ideas,etc.......
That is why I'll start a thread for that purpose in Sunday,a place where you can help those who participate.Sometimes even a small piece of help coulde be of greatest importance to the participants.By the way,we are allowed to do that,aren't we?

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Count on me, boys!
Whenever I find some spare time I'll help with whatever I can.

TO ALL!!!!!

When you post advices and/or suggest good arguments, PM them!
DO NOT post them openly! ;) ;) :D

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
I have opened the first debate of the tournament between GoO and GoT here. Please assemble a team ASAP.

Or is this your team:
Eriol
Gate7ole
Gil-Galad
Finduilas

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Guys, the debate is open!

You have a WONDERFUL topic !!!!!!!!!!

I feel so sorry not to be able to participate!
MARVELLOUS topic!!!!!

So, you four would better get together ASAP and decide your strategy and pick up a side!

Good luck to all!
I and the rest of us will be around - watching, helping ...whatever... :D

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Erm, Lhun can you give the URL of the thread in here, so that we dont have to look for it all over TTF?

Thread suggestions