🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Guild of Baseball Lovers!!!!!! (GO CUBS!!)

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
All righty... this thread is created for the sole purpose of talking about the greatest sport on Earth: BASEBALL!!!! Just talk about recent games, favorite teams and players, etc.

My favorite team is (I think you can already tell) the Chicago Cubs. I don't have a favorite player.

I'm sure this thread will probably catch FoolOfATook's and munckin's eye.... :)

Luthien Tunivel

Resident Football Hater
Reaction score
Is this supposed to be a branch of the Guild of Sports? Because I know that everyone there is getting pretty sick of us talking about baseball.;) I'd love to join this, and at the same time quit the Guild of Sports, because all I ever talk about there is baseball.

My favorite team is the Red Sox, even though I live in New Jersey, and my favorite player is Nomar Garciaparra.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
YAY!! Hi Luthien, you can be my Deputy Guildmaster. :) And, no, this isn't a branch of the Guild of Sports. It's just a Guild of a SPORT. :)

Today the Cubs have an off-day. Tomorrow, they start a 3-game series against the Milwaukee Brewers. I hope the Astros lose today, because if they win, they go another game forward. The Cubs lost first place in the NL Central a couple days ago. I'm not too happy. :(

One more thing:

I HATE THE WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: They beat the Cubs two straight games. :(

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
Argh I'll come here and represent the Braves before FoaT gets his chance!:D

I like John Smoltz a lot among the rest of the Braves lineup.:rolleyes:

I am pretty much opposed to people who like teams just because they live near them. And that's the reason why I despise the Red Sox, the Yankees, and the Mets.;)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
I'm sure this thread will probably catch FoolOfATook's and munckin's eye....
Now whatever would give you that idea? ;)

You can totally count me in.

I'm a lifelong Brave's fan, and although I dislike the American League (Bush should issue an executive order outlawing the DH rule), my favorite AL team is the BoSox, largely out of pity.

My favorite current players include: John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Javy Lopez, Gary Sheffield, Andruw Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds, Nomar Garciaparra, Rocco Baldelli (the kid is awesome- if he was playing for a real team, he'd probably already be a superstar), Mike Sweeney (again, if he wasn't stuck with the Royals, many, many more people would know his name), Mark Prior and Kevin Millwood (even if he does play for the hated Phillies). Basicly, I like anyone who is fun to watch, and doesn't play for the hated Expos, or the even-more-hated Yankees. Other teams I dislike include the Twins (I haven't forgotten 1991), the Blue Jays (nor have I forgotten 1992) and the Dodgers (because they should never have left Brooklyn).

My all-time favorite players include: Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Catfish Hunter (a fellow North Carolina native, even if he did go to the Yankees), Joe Morgan, Charlie Keller (a Yankees centerfielder who would have been a major star if he hadn't gotten hurt, and a distant cousin of mine), Sandy Koufax and Ted Williams.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Originally posted by Anamatar IV
Argh I'll come here and represent the Braves before FoaT gets his chance!:D
I don't like the Braves, but I respect them for being the best team in the NL. :) I know that if the Cubs make it to the playoffs, they'll probably lose to the Braves.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
I know that if the Cubs make it to the playoffs, they'll probably lose to the Braves.
I'm just glad you said it, so I didn't have to... ;)

Actually, this year's Cubs are much better than I expected them to be. I knew that Prior and Wood would be a lethal combination, but I didn't expect to see Alou batting .300, and looking like his old self, or Patterson to be hitting as well as he is.

I still think the Cardinals will find a way to win the NL Central, but the Cubs might give Montreal and LA or San Francisco a serious contender for the Wild Card spot...

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Go anyone who's not in the major leages! I don't watch that stuff anymore. It's all about the money for them, I've just stopped watching.

But I've got a double header today! Yay! Wish me luck! I'm starting catching the first game and starting pitching the next!

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Originally posted by BlackCaptain
Go anyone who's not in the major leages! I don't watch that stuff anymore. It's all about the money for them, I've just stopped watching.
I disagree- I think the fact that baseball was able to avoid a strike last season speaks volumes about the fact that money, while always being a key issue (arguably THE key issue), is not the sole concern of today's major-leaguers.

It's unfortunate that you've stopped watching, because there are a lot of players out there today who will rank among the all-time greats- players like Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Alex Rodriguez- the kind of players who don't come along very often- the kind that your grandkids will ask you about.

Then there's a crop of exciting young talent- guys like Mark Prior, Rocco Baldelli (I'm really keen on this kid), Damian Moss, Ichiro Suzuki, Albert Pujols, Alfonso Soriano, Hank Blalock, Adam Dunn, Mike MacDougal (His stuff is just nasty- he should develop into a top-level closer) who are all incredibly fun to watch.

I mean, right now the Braves are tearing up the NL, the Yankees seem on the verge of an all-out war between Steinbrenner and Torre, my fantasy team, The Nazgul, continues to dominate- right now is a great time to be a baseball fan!

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Well, FoaT, when players leave a team that they've been with for lots of season's because they're offered a couple more million dollars one tends to draw my conclusion...

The fact that there was even going to be a strike speaks volumes about this. Players seriously considering stoping playing the sport all americans love because they're loosing a fraction of their Millions and Millions of dollars? That is insane. So you won't get a couple new Ferrari's this year... Whoopdee doo. That's no reason do dissapoint all of America.

I never said there wasn't a load of talent. There's probly more skill today than there's ever been. But it may have to do with the new core standardization to the balls, and it may have to do with the fact that each team has a couple people on Steroids, but the Talent is amazing. I'll just watch Sportcenter to fill me in on all of the great plays these talents have.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Well, FoaT, when players leave a team that they've been with for lots of season's because they're offered a couple more million dollars one tends to draw my conclusion...
This is a (deliberate?) over-simplification. Players leave teams for lots of reasons. Money is one of them. But who are we to begrudge a player for attempting to recieve fair market value for his services? If you worked for Microsoft, and IMB offered you a significantly higher salary, would it be immoral for you to change companies? Of course not. But when Jason Giambi is offered more money to play for the New York Yankees than to play for the Oakland Athletics, he's criticized for changing teams.

Here's another way to look at it- is it wrong for a player to leave a team where he's spent "lots of seasons" to play for a team with a better chance of winning a World Series? I don't believe it is. However, the player is still failing to be loyal, according to your model.

At any rate, this is one of those pointless debates that never gets resolved- there is probably nothing I could say that would change your view of baseball players as greedy mercenaries, and probably nothing you could say to change my opinion that players have a right to earn fair market value for their skills.

I propose that we drop the matter of economics entirely, and focus on talking about the greatest sport known to man. :D

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
Haha... While I only agree with that last sentance of your's, it's enough! Let's talk baseball:)

Thread suggestions