🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Guild of Baseball Lovers!!!!!! (GO CUBS!!)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
As the pennant race heats up, it's time to get this dance party back a-dancing.

A topic:

Here are my current playoff picks-

AL East- New York
AL Central- Kansas City
AL West- Seattle

NL East- Atlanta
NL Central- Chicago
NL West- San Francisco

AL Wild Card- Oakland
NL Wild Card- Philadelphia

The two Central divisions, as well as the two wild cards are where I'll probably be wrong, and I'm pretty much just going with my gut instinct on all four of those.

Thoughts?

BlackCaptain

Vast Menace of Despair
Reaction score
I'd like to see Seatle go far... They've always been one of my favorite teams. They need a World Series soon. Them or Boston

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
AL:

East- Yankees, I think they'll cruise to the poast season

Central- White sox

West- Seattle, like the Yankees

Wild card- Oakland

NL:

East- Braves

Central- Cardinals. The last few games Pujols hasn't even been common in the lineup and they're still winning games!

West- Giants'll cruise;)

Wild card- Marlins. It would be nice to see the fish in the playoffs again!;)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
It's worth noting that even though I think Barry Bonds is one of the three or four greatest players of all time, I really, really, really, really hate him.

I'm also at a loss to explain why Atlanta kept pitching strikes to him in situations with the game on the line during that series.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
And now that I've ranted about Barry, it's with sadness that I note that his dad, Bobby, died today from cancer and a score of other problems. Bobby was the first player to ever hit 300 home runs and steal 300 bases in his career, a feat matched only by his son. Rest in peace Bobby.

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Man, the playoff race is really going awesome, especially in the NL Central. It's so suspenseful. I'm not really expecting St. Louis to rise back up, but there's always the possibility that they'll sweep Houston. The Cubs are off today, unfortunately. They play in Pittsburgh on Friday (DH), Saturday, and Sunday. They're off again on Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we play in Cincinnati. Pittsburgh comes to play in Chicago on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and then the Cubs are done with the regular season. Hopefully, those three games against the Pirates won't be the last games we play in Wrigley Field this year....if you know what I mean... :D

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess some teams are still in pennant races... It's kind of cute in a way, but you have to wonder why they don't just go ahead and clinch their spot like some teams... ;)

Like the Braves have done 12 STRAIGHT TIMES now!

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
Like the Braves have done 12 STRAIGHT TIMES now!
Ack, it makes me sick as well. :p However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've won only 1 championship that entire time. Hooray! :)

I'm going with Boston for the AL wild card and pennant and Atlanta or San Francisco taking the NL pennant.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've won only 1 championship that entire time.
Yeah, but.... um... That's because the... uh.... the Blue Jays, Twins and Yankees (twice) all cheated heavily to beat us... er... right Anamatar?

;)

Yeah, we always seem to choke at the end, but we do have the longest streak of winning our division in American sports history.

For the series, I think it's a given that either the Giants or the Braves take the NL Pennant, since those two teams stand miles above the rest of the NL. For the AL, the A's are getting really hot right now, and if they had Mulder, I'd pick them for the Series. The Red Sox have one of the most impressive line-ups I've ever seen, and Pedro is always the man, but on the down side, Kim always seems to choke in big games, and, well, they are the Red Sox. Because I expect Boston to, well, be Boston, I'll say the A's take the Pennant.

Oh, and Eliot, nice avatar! Since Prior is the best pitcher the Cubs have had since Maddux, I'm hoping that he'll follow a similar career path. ;)

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
Originally posted by FoolOfATook
Yeah, but.... um... That's because the... uh.... the Blue Jays, Twins and Yankees (twice) all cheated heavily to beat us... er... right Anamatar?

You're darn right! How could the YANKEES of all teams come back to win the series after being down two games to none without cheating?;)

*meanders back to his playoff predictions*

AL:

East- Yankees, I think they'll cruise to the poast season

Central- White sox----->oops;)

West- Seattle, like the Yankees--oops

Wild card- Oakland---oops

NL:

East- Braves---heh....heh....heh *devillish grin*

Central- Cardinals. The last few games Pujols hasn't even been common in the lineup and they're still winning games!----->oops!:D

West- Giants'll cruise

Wild card- Marlins. It would be nice to see the fish in the playoffs again!

4/8 ain't bad...Par for the course.;)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Just wanted to announce that my fantasy baseball team, the Nazgul, WON their division!

For the record, here was my final roster:
C- Javy Lopez, Atlanta
1B- Mike Sweeney, Kansas City
2B- Jeff Kent, Houston
3B- Bill Mueller, Boston
SS- Orlando Cabrera, Montreal
OF- Andruw Jones, Atlanta
OF- Gary Sheffield, Atlanta
OF- Trot Nixon, Boston
Bench- Rocco Baldelli, Tampa Bay; Kevin Millar, Boston
Starting Pitchers:
Greg Maddux, Atlanta
Derek Lowe, Boston
Mark Prior, Chicago Cubs
Livan Hernandez, Montreal
Jeff Suppan, Boston
Ryan Franklin, Seattle
Bullpen:
John Smoltz, Atlanta
Mike Williams, Philadelphia
Jorge Julio, Baltimore
Matt Mantei, Arizona
Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Seattle

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Mark Prior, Chicago Cubs
Oooooo............Mark Prior......:)

The Cubs are gonna whoop the Braves tomorrow night, just so you folks know. Welcome to Chicago, where the weather is cruel, the fans are cruel, and Mark Prior destroys other teams with K's. ;) :)

GO CUBS!!!

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Eliot, I guess you're probably stoked about the moves that your Cubbies have made so far this offseason- picking up Hawkins to be Borowski's set-up man (and stealing him from Minnesota before the Yanks could) and picking up Lee from the Marlins (although Choi might still turn out to be as good as we all thought he would be before the season, especially if he cans stay healthy). I don't envy the other teams in the NL Central...

I know we have some BoSox fans around these parts, although I'm not sure if they've logged on recently, or if they're still gloating... ;)

If Schilling and Pedro can both stay healthy, and if Pedro stays happy, then the Sox will sport a rotation nearly as scary as the Braves' had through the 90s- Pedro, Schilling, Lowe, Wakefield- that might be enough to finally break the curse...

(It won't, of course, but it's fun to pretend it might... ;)

And as if I didn't hate the Yankees enough, now they go and grab Sheff.

WE HATES THE STEINBRENNER! WE HATES HIM FOREVER!

Eliot

We shall prevail.....
Reaction score
Eliot, I guess you're probably stoked about the moves that your Cubbies have made so far this offseason- picking up Hawkins to be Borowski's set-up man (and stealing him from Minnesota before the Yanks could) and picking up Lee from the Marlins (although Choi might still turn out to be as good as we all thought he would be before the season, especially if he cans stay healthy). I don't envy the other teams in the NL Central...
Yup, I'm stoked about our moves. :p I seriously think next year is the year. And I mean THE year. :D

Good, you shouldn't envy the other teams in the NL Central. Because there's nothing to be envious about!! :D :p

Thread suggestions