🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Hobbit - 1966

Miguel

Reaction score
If they don't get much better at depicting live action Middle-earth then i will continue to prefer this format.

Alcuin

Reaction score
There is an older thread on this subject here, but I fully support starting new threads on old subjects: new ideas should be examined, too.

The 1966 film was created by animator Gene Deitch to fulfill a contract obligation by William Snyder to release a film on The Hobbit by June 30, 1966. The result has little connection with Tolkien’s book, almost a child’s parody. (It makes Peter Jackson’s adaptation seem faithful by comparison.) It was shown for one day in a theater in Manhattan – coincidentally, June 29, 1966 – for 10¢ per person, and people who viewed it were actually given the dime by Deitch to pay for attendance; however, they also signed a statement saying they had seen the film. That fulfilled Snyder’s contract, and he was able to resell the rights for $100,000. (According to the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, that would be over $787,000 today: £604,000, €707,000.)

Here is the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) page on the film: it is rather sparse. Gene Deitch, its animator, maintains a blog and has written a good report on what happened. (I understand that he didn’t get any of the $100,000.) Here’s a more descriptive page from the Lost Media Archive. Tor.com also has a decent page on the film.

The human side of the story is more complex, of course. If someone here is interested, perhaps you’d care to start with these links and reconstruct the story.

The YouTube link Erestor Arcamen has provided is the entire film.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
There is an older thread on this subject here, but I fully support starting new threads on old subjects: new ideas should be examined, too.

The 1966 film was created by animator Gene Deitch to fulfill a contract obligation by William Snyder to release a film on The Hobbit by June 30, 1966. The result has little connection with Tolkien’s book, almost a child’s parody. (It makes Peter Jackson’s adaptation seem faithful by comparison.) It was shown for one day in a theater in Manhattan – coincidentally, June 29, 1966 – for 10¢ per person, and people who viewed it were actually given the dime by Deitch to pay for attendance; however, they also signed a statement saying they had seen the film. That fulfilled Snyder’s contract, and he was able to resell the rights for $100,000. (According to the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, that would be over $787,000 today: £604,000, €707,000.)

Here is the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) page on the film: it is rather sparse. Gene Deitch, its animator, maintains a blog and has written a good report on what happened. (I understand that he didn’t get any of the $100,000.) Here’s a more descriptive page from the Lost Media Archive. Tor.com also has a decent page on the film.

The human side of the story is more complex, of course. If someone here is interested, perhaps you’d care to start with these links and reconstruct the story.

The YouTube link Erestor Arcamen has provided is the entire film.
Thanks for the additional info! I meant to add more today but wanted to post it so I wouldn't forget. That's really interesting!

NerdoftheRings

Reaction score
So funny that this just came in the list of threads in my inbox this morning. I'm going to do a livestream on this film tonight. :) I've purposely held off the past couple weeks that I've known this existed so I could do a livestream/reaction of it. I'm very much looking forward to meeting "Slag the Monster Lizard"! 😂

Here's the link to tonight's livestream if anyone wants to join the fun!

Thread suggestions