🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Hobbit as a play?

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
A friend of mine went to London recently (early december) and saw a play (in the theatre) of the Hobbit. She liked it a lot! Did anyone living around there see it? Is it good? Does anyone know about it being played anywhere else in the world?

SarumansTreason

Reaction score
Yes, there truly is a play of the hobbit. I've never actually seen it done, or read through the script. I did, however, see a copy of it lying around in the Drama-wing at my school. I'll have to give myself a "birthday present" one day at school.

Meklos

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the play once. It was a long time ago though, about seven or eight years before I actually read the book itself.

soccerref1998

Reaction score
somewhere i am always on the move looking for some
as a play

i have heard of a big production in New York but i have only heard of it. i am in a comunity theater production of it as Kili and i must say that the play writer killed it. Thorin kills smaug, there is no battl eof the 5 armies, and Thorin lives. if anyone who reads this lives near atlanta and would like to see it the web site is http://www.newlondontheatre.mainpage.net

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Re: as a play

Originally posted by soccerref1998
i have heard of a big production in New York but i have only heard of it. i am in a comunity theater production of it as Kili and i must say that the play writer killed it. Thorin kills smaug, there is no battl eof the 5 armies, and Thorin lives. if anyone who reads this lives near atlanta and would like to see it the web site is http://www.newlondontheatre.mainpage.net

No but my class saw it and unfortunatly i was sick. They thought it was good and i think i'm the only person 2 read tolkien they thought an actual play was good???? Which suprised me.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I saw it in London this January and i have to say i was very underimpressed, the elves where wierd, the set was the same all the way through only turning round a bit from scene to scene. I didn't think they spent enough money, maybe i was expecting a big west end which it certainly wasn't.

The big New York production sounds good though.

Prince Legolas

Armed and dangerous
Reaction score
I saw a play of The Hobbit in Bristol. It was great. The Magicion Ali Bongo was doing the special effects.

K

KrossRodes

I am currently in that play!

My high school is doing The Hobbit right now and I'm in it.
I'm the student director and I am also playing the part of Gollum (my favorite character! :cool: )
The version we are doing was written by Patricia Gray, but there are other versions, including a musical!
From the scripts I've read, this is the best written out of all of them, but there are still somethings I'm disappointed about. The character descriptions are all messed up, some lines are REALLY out of character, and the ending is REALLY bad! (it ends with the dwarves saying goodbye to Bilbo as he leaves the Lonely Mountain)
I'm doing my best trying to fix the play into something truer to the book, and so far I'm happy with the results. I just hope the audience is happy too! :)

Thread suggestions