🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The J.R.R. Tolkien Awards!!!

What is YOUR favorite book of Tolkien!!!

• The Hobbit

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • The Silmarillion

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Unfinished Tales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any volume of the History of Middle-earth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...please specify!

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
:D :D :D Here is thread strictly for opinions! What do you guys think is the best book(s) Tolkien ever wrote!:D :D :D Post a poll above and put your opinions below!:D :D :D

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
The Silmarillion although not written by Tolkien, but compiled by his son, is the greatest literary work created by the former. It is a creation story, a daunting task in itself for a writer of fiction, but is also convincing in minor details, and flows well and is in a style of epic romance that is reminiscent of Mallory and Tennyson and the anonymous authors of numerous epics from diverse cultures. A masterpiece in more ways than any other work by him.

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
At this present time, I would have to say its The Twin Towers for me, but I am a fickle person and I change my mind every couple of weeks.

I'm reading the FOTR at present to next week I might say that its my favourite. Next I'll be reading the Silmarilion, so after I've finished that one, I'll have changed my mind again.

THEY'RE ALL GREAT.... so many to choose from, argh :confused:

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
This was a tough poll....

The first chapters of Fellowship are just so fun... and the Balack riders are terrifying.... And you only get to see lots of Gollum in the Two Towers....

But The Return of the King has the most moving scenes of all so I had to go with that one. I just feel like crying for those last several chapters. (No other piece of fiction affects me this way....)

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
I have to say that it was the Silmarillion. With the coming of the elves and their battles and adventures. We get to see the real power and determination of the Noldor.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hama
The Silmarillion although not written by Tolkien, but compiled by his son, is the greatest literary work created by the former.
Actually, Hama, most of what we know as The Silmarillion was directly written that way by JRR. He tried to get it published long before LoTR came out....Christopher did some post-humous touch ups to it, but it is not compilations like the HoME series.

Actually this poll was done awhile ago....Sil is great, but Fellowship of the Ring is still one of my favorites.

Bucky

Reaction score
I'm The 'Other' One.....

How can you vote for 1 of 3 books in a Trilogy?

I vote for everything from The Hobbit through The Silmarillion.
I could throw in parts of UT too.

It's all one work to me.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Great!!!

:D :D :D Thanks to all who posted, there have been some convincing arguments!!! My favourites are the Return of the King and The Silmarillion. They are brilliant pieces of polished literacy. Tolkien is a marvel!!!:D :D :D

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by ssgrif
At this present time, I would have to say its The Twin Towers for me, but I am a fickle person and I change my mind every couple of weeks.

I'm reading the FOTR at present to next week I might say that its my favourite. Next I'll be reading the Silmarilion, so after I've finished that one, I'll have changed my mind again.

THEY'RE ALL GREAT.... so many to choose from, argh :confused:

I agree but my vote would go to the sil escpecially in Turin's and the beleriand parts. Then probably be lotr.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Da Sil for me too. Inexplicably awesome, even though its about a third of the length of the LotR. Beautiful, *sniff*.
But I must say I could have voted for UT, or at least the Narn i Hîn Húrin. I just finished it, and I must say that it is the best myth Tolkien has ever produced. Go Túrin!! :D

M

Mormegil

Hooray for Turin!!
The best character Tolkien ever created.:)

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I voted for RotK, but people forget that LotR is ONE BOOK! It is not a trilogy! I am positive that Tolkien states this somewhere. After LotR, I like the Lays of Beleriand.

Anarchist

The Eternal Champion
Reaction score
Ulairi I hate you!!!:) You made us all choose between some of the finest pieces of art ever. It's like choosing one of your children for God's sake! And as for LOTR it IS one book and I believe it's wrong to divide it into pieces. Well I guess I would choose The Fellowship of the Ring right now but if you asked me 3 months from now I will state a different opinion. ARRRRRRG it's so hard. Now I'm mad:mad: Anyway they are so great though I haven't yet read them all.

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
I vote for the Hobbit. the Original Middle Earth Story.

without this story LOTR could not have been written.

Thread suggestions