🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

'The Lord of the Rings' had a bad ending.

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
Did you like the ending of 'Lord of the Rings'? I certainly didn't. For two reasons:
a) Gollum dies.
b) I feel that all of a sudden, the magic that Tolkien had created, has perished in a blink of an eye. I understand that by the Elves, Dwarves etc. leaving Middle-Earth and by the destruction of the orcs, goblins etc., Tolkien wanted to say that now humanity has inherited the earth, which leads us to modern times. This I find tragic. Tragic for the reader, the fan you would say, to see that all the wonderful world of Middle-Earth to be altered in that way to explain history. I think reading Tolkien's books is a passage to another world, where you don't have to worry about your own personal problems as you are enchanted by the beauty and complexity of Middle-Earth. I find it sad that it should end that way as the reader admits to himself that there is no such thing as Elves, Hobbits and Ents, a reader who while reading these books actually thinks that they do.

I hope you got the message of what I am trying to say here.

Dhôn-Buri-Dhôn

Formerly Donnie B.
Reaction score
Sure... it's a bittersweet ending. The world had to "grow up", in a certain sense; and it's always sad when childhood comes to an end.

In fact, it's a bit like the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon".

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Gollum could have been the hero without dying! What should have happened is in the end the Smeagol side won out and he bit off Frodo's finger and threw it and the ring into the Crack of Doom! And then maybe Sam would die. That would be cool. :D It is pretty bad that all the magic left ME or just Earth as it's called now. The dwarves didn't leave though. I guess they just died out a lot. Hobbits are still around according to Tolkien in The Hobbit. You think the ending of LOTR is sad? Don't read The Sil! It's full of tragedy.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Sadly, like all good stories, it must come to an end. As abrupt as you might think it is, it is better than most. Once you have completed the Lord of the Rings and you have the insatiable appetite for more, then you must read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and then move on to HOME. It's a cycle that you end up repeating over the years, and where once you always wanted to read more, eventually you simply try to understand in more depth that which you have.

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
What I always enjoyed was the leading into, semingly, our own age. It did not end quicly, but actually was a progression into the eventual downfall of the other races an man's dominion.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
If you only read the LotR series, then the ending does seem a bit abrupt; but if you read all the other books about Middle Earth, then you realize that the last page of RotK is not the end of it. There is so much depth in Tolkien's writings that a mere reading will not suffice to understand what he wrote. Multiple readings, along with studying, help one to dig deeper into understanding the complex pattern he wove with his words.

One might almost look at Tolkien's books as a history series. The LotR books are the most recent events, while the Sil, the Unfinished Tales, etc., document older happenings in Middle Earth.
It's an interesting thought that Tolkien was writing the pre-history of Earth as we know it...:)

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
AERIN: Yes, i always thought that Tolkien is sort of creating his own theory about the creaton of this world. I wonder if there are people out there who actually worship Iluvatar or even... Melkor! Can you imagine that?!:D

Prince Legolas

Armed and dangerous
Reaction score
Gollum had to die in the end. As Gandalf says Gollum had lived too long because the Ring prolonged his life far beyond what it should have been.
It is kinda fitting that he died a hero.

As for Frodo sailing over the Sea, he couldn't have stayed in Middle Earth because his wound was too deep, he would not have been happy, (well he wasn't at the end).

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I wonder if there are people out there who actually worship Iluvatar or even... Melkor! Can you imagine that?!
*stops chanting abruptly, blows out candles and tries frantically to blow away the incense*
Huh! Yes, imagine that.. :)

But seriously, I think the ending was very sad and abrupt, although it did make..some sense. But wait: why did the Elves all suddenly have to go? There is no mention in the LotR or Sil whether people like Thranduil and his people in Mirkwood left at all! And the Dwarves, well they can be just brushed aside by saying they 'became extinct'. How the hell did they manage that?! They were living quite happily and peacefully in Erebor, and had no reason to suddenly die out! Harumph..
I like to think to myself that not all the Elves or Dwarves left Middle-Earth: that some still roam around here and go on with their lives, perhaps ignorant of their ancient past. If we go into the area of ELvish beauty, I'd say Carmen Electra and Milla Jovovich et al. were Noldor! :D

R

ReadWryt

Carmen Electra and Battle Bots....mmMMMMmmmmm...Heheheh

Well it just goes to show you that it takes all sorts to make up a forum like this. This isn't the first time I have heard someone say that the ending was less then satisfying, but most times it's a complaint that Frodo fails...

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I think I like the fact that Frodo fails at the end. Everyone in LOTR seems to have a "fatal flaw" (if they're human) or some human emotion (that's if they're not human) that means they're weak. LOTR is riddled with heroes and anti-heroes. In a book that's pretty much devoid of plot twists (it's the original good vs evil fantasy story), in my opinion, this is what makes it so fascinating to read. The characters themselves are the plot twists.

elvish-queen

Isilwen Elenrohir
Reaction score
Wandering Middle Earth with my horse, Linta
Hey, gnashar, i like the fact that u think differently to most people. U r like my pal at school, really just different. Cool! An elf liking an orc, honestly!:rolleyes: well, we did kinda have the same roots.
anyway, about the ending, i was depressed for weeks, (still am, but that's about something else, depression amongst today's teenagers!) frodo was really supposed to stay with sam! he was so loyal, it wasn't fair. and it was supposed to carry on longer! i felt as if i had lost my best friends! i actually cried, and i usually don't allow myself to cry.
it was too abrupt, but i think tolkien meant it that way, he was always unexpected.:D

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
Yes, the ending of LOTR is sad. I find it just as sad now as when I first read it in the early 1960's and all the times I have read it since. But the fact that Tolkien did not go for the simple "they all lived happily ever after" ending is one of the things that raises LOTR head and shoulders above other fantasy novels. (Of course, the quality of the writing contributes something also. :) ) The point is that Tolkien's characters, at least the main ones, are for the most part not simple, cardboard cut-outs. They have doubts and flaws like the rest of us. There are not all that many happy endings in real life. Sometimes great sacrifices have to be made and sometimes the people making the sacrifices don't get the benefits of those sacrifices. Frodo is the hero of the story, but unlike a perfect hero, at the end of his quest he succumbs to the evil power of the Ring. He (and the rest of Middle-earth) are only saved from total failure by the fact that his (and Sam's) pity spared Gollum's life when they had every reason to kill him. BTW, Gollum is in no way a hero at the end (sorry YayGollum). Frodo had given Gollum opportunities to reform, but in the end the power of the Ring was too much for him (as it was for Frodo). Gollum had sworn never to hurt Frodo, but he led him to Shelob to be killed and he attacks Frodo and bites off his finger, not in some effort to save Frodo and fufill the quest to destroy the Ring, but to get the Ring for himself. Yes, Smeagol may not have been evil to begin with, but Smeagol has been destroyed by the evil power of the Ring and replaced by Gollum. You might as well say the nine Nazgul were heros. They started out as kings of men, but the rings corrupted them.

Even after the quest succeeds, Frodo returns to a blighted Shire and is left too scarred by his ordeal to ever find peace again in Middle-earth. Yes, it is a very depressing ending, but sadly real life can be the same way.

Last edited:

Legolas_The Elf

Reaction score
The end is soooooooooo saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad:( :(
Well...what bout if we do our own story of the Lord Of The Rings¿¿¿¿
How bout...this title.
The Revenge of The Ring
Or another title...if u agree tell me if u like the title..if u dont agree..ok :rolleyes:
Any way we could put the same characters and the same places and put our own ideas...
If u would like to answer me write me to my e-mail or just post it cause all be going round some few hours today..Well my e-mail is
[email protected] or
[email protected]

*Legolas_The Elf*

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
succinct in supporting milord Eryn Lasgallen

Greenwood puts the matter of our Story's melancholy conclusion very well indeed; the bittersweet sadness of its ending is weft of the Tale in its deepest weaving, and helps lift LOTR to a level of mythopoeic resonance, literary merit, and moral truth which few if any of Tolkien's many imitators even come close to attaining.

Last edited:

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
I liked it!!!

I thought it was sort of a happy ending 'cause Sam goes home and there's his beautiful little girl and the Shire is happy and the birds are singing...
I guess that the elves lose their powers is sad, but they have a choice to stay if they want, and sort of become like humans... or am I wrong? Was it just Elrond's children who had that option...

Actually, Sam and Frodo weren't seperated, if you read the appendix. Sam eventually went along as did Gimli and Legolas. Really only Merry, Pippen, Aragorn, and the dead Boromir stayed behind of the origenal fellowship.

It's a choice to be human or not human, the choice that a lot of Tolkien's work comes down to. Elrond chose elfhood, his brother chose humanity. Arwen chose Humanity, Frodo didn't. What I mean by humanity is mortality, the choice to live only for a short while and pass out of the circle of the earth...

I don't think it was weak of Frodo to go. Arwen gave him her place as a gift. He was miserable in middle earth because he'd been stabbed so many times by magical weapons... Give the poor guy a break!!!

Goldberry

River Daughter
Reaction score
Originally posted by HLGStrider
I liked it!!!
Actually, Sam and Frodo weren't seperated, if you read the appendix. Sam eventually went along as did Gimli and Legolas. Really only Merry, Pippen, Aragorn, and the dead Boromir stayed behind of the origenal fellowship.

Arwen chose Humanity, Frodo didn't. What I mean by humanity is mortality, the choice to live only for a short while and pass out of the circle of the earth...

I'm not so sure this is true. Frodo got to go to the Undying Lands, but doesn't it say somewhere in the Silmarillion that just going there doesn't make you immortal? I don't think Arwen's gem conveyed any immortality. I believe Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Gimli were only permitted to spend the rest of their days their. Frodo was about 15 years older than Sam. It's very possible by the time Sam got to the Undying Lands, Frodo was already dead - Bilbo for sure. Gimli didn't go until much later, as dwarves live much longer, so it is doubtful he was reunited with his friends either.

It really is a very sad ending.

Quercus

The Last Entwife
Reaction score
I don't feel bad about Gollum dying, the little fellow had lived in misery way too long. And let's not forget, as we've already discussed in another thread, that Smeagol was really not that nice of a guy to begin with.

The ending was very bittersweet for me. I couldn't help but imagine how nice it would have been for Frodo (and everyone else involved) if he could have just stayed at Bag End with Sam and family. Just picture all the little Gamgee children sitting around 'Uncle Frodo's' feet listening to stories or romping about the Shire with him. Better still, Sam and Rosie would have had a live in babysitter!

However, I think that JRRT was trying to make an important point. 'When things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.' Sad but true, it's happened many times. It's happening now.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions