🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Oscar Results!

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Well here are the results for the 74th Annual Academy Awards i.e. the Oscars!!!

ACTOR -- LEADING
Denzel Washington
TRAINING DAY

ACTOR -- SUPPORTING
Jim Broadbent
IRIS

ACTRESS -- LEADING
Halle Berry
MONSTERS BALL

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
Jennifer Connelly
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SHREK
Aron Warner

ART DIRECTION
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin (Art Direction) and Brigitte Broch (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
LORD OF THE RINGS
Andrew Lesnie

COSTUME DESIGN
MOULIN ROUGE
Catherine Martin and Angus Strathie

DIRECTING
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Ron Howard

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
MURDER ON A SUNDAY MORNING
Jean-Xavier de Lestrade
and Denis Poncet

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
THOTH
Sarah Kernochan and Lynn Appelle

FILM EDITING
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Pietro Scalia

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NO MAN'S LAND
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Directed by Danis Tanovic

MAKEUP
LORD OF THE RINGS
Peter Owen and
Richard Taylor

MUSIC (SCORE)
LORD OF THE RINGS
Howard Shore

MUSIC (SONG)
MONSTERS, INC.
"If I Didn't Have You"
Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

BEST PICTURE
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Brian Grazer and Ron Howard

SHORT FILM -- ANIMATED
FOR THE BIRDS
Ralph Eggleston

SHORT FILM -- LIVE ACTION
THE ACCOUNTANT
Ray McKinnon and Lisa Blount

SOUND
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Michael Minkler, Myron Nettinga and Chris Munro

SOUND EDITING
PEARL HARBOR
George Watters II and Christopher Boyes

VISUAL EFFECTS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson

WRITING (ADAPTED)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Written by Akiva Goldsman

WRITING (ORIGINAL)
GOSFORD PARK
Written by Julian Fellowes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring won four!!!

Best Cinematography
Best Original Score
Best Makeup
Best Visual Effects

In my opinion that is rather disappointing, I believe that it should have won Best Picture and Director. It topped the Oscars, beating A Beautiful Mind by one so that does make it the best film of the year, but with 13 nominations if could have been the greatest film of all time!!!

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I have to agree somewhat with Ulairi in that LOTR should have won Best Picture as it was, it grossed huge volumes of cash at the box office, is still being played at cinemas across the globe 3-4 months after its release!

Best director, I dont know, I think that LOTR and PJ winning Best Cinematography is a good compromise, lets see if he does well next year!

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I was really surprised Ian McKellen didn't win for best supporting actor, I really expected him to win. I would have liked to see LOTR win best picture, but I think the academy wanted to wait to see what the sequels to FOTR are like, before they start giving out the really important Oscars for LOTR. So, we'll see next year!

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Hurray for No Man's land! I still have to see it, and maybe nowit will have a chance in the cinema's.

I do not care to much about Oscars, but Ian McKellen should have got one.
I do have another problem here: What is Cinematography and Original Score exactly? Make-up and Visual effects I understand, but what do those two others mean?

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
Original score is the music for the film (which they won completely deserved!). Cinematography I don't know for sure, I always get the idea that the more beautiful landscapes you put in, the more chance you have of winning, but I suppose there's more to it than that.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
So I guess Music Score is the 'overall' music in the film and Music Song is for the title-song only?

Diabless

Reaction score
Originally posted by DGoeij
Hurray for No Man's land! I still have to see it, and maybe nowit will have a chance in the cinema's.

I do not care to much about Oscars, but Ian McKellen should have got one.
I do have another problem here: What is Cinematography and Original Score exactly? Make-up and Visual effects I understand, but what do those two others mean?
I think Cinematagraphy is the way it looks. The camera angles, color schemes, and lighting all figure into that I think.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
I believe that it should have won Best Picture and Director.
Wrong. Best Picture, Hmmmmm. Best director "definitely, absolutely" not because of all the "liberties" he took in making the movie. It would have been a shame to reward someone who "cut" certain parts of the book by giving him an oscar.
Cool.:)

markrob

An original FAD member
Reaction score
Not bad at all

I for one am happy that LOTR got what it did. I think that overall it faired pretty well against the establishment. They hardly ever give fantasy/action films their due. The biggest disappointment was Ian's loss for best supporting actor but a nomination is a huge compliment. I think we will see TTT receive some bigger awards next year if it is as good as FOTR was. Last night's showing definetly got this film even more publicity and a potential additional fan base. More fans = more readers and that opens the door for even more people to enter JRRT's kick ass world of Middle Earth! LONG LIVE FRODO!

LotR_Girl

Reaction score
I agree, hurray for No Man's Land! Hope I'll see it soon...At least I won't have to bother myself with reading coz I UNDERSTAND IT hehheee

LotR SHOULD win best direstor & best picture!Really!OK, Enya's song sux, I hate it, but what I can do? Owow, and who saw Frodo & Sam before awards? They were jumping and waving! Yay! And Tom Cruise was there, too [not with them]!!! Arrrrrrrgh whata great night!!! I almost fell asleep coz it was 2Am-7AM here!LOLlypop

~Intelligent Nazgul

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
The only that disapointed me is that Ian Mckellen did not win for Supporting actor! I think that he deserves it, he was so Gandalf in that movie, but that is.. I was hping that they did not win for writng, PJ wining Best director or best picture it was hard to believe, first for best director I would not like for the same reason that Baraka said, and best picture, come on we are talkien about the Academy Award!!! Do you know about some fantastic epic adventure that has ever won for best picture? Oscars do not like fantasy, they like the fact of real life as far as I know and LOTR did not have a chance with a Beatiful Mind on the road too.

Kelkorian

Reaction score
What I don't understand is how in all hell did Moulin Rouge take best costumes and best art direction? Those were in LotR pocket! I mean, art direction, *ok*, fine, I can forgive them because of all the dancing and stuff although IMO LotR had a much more complex art direction.

But costume design? Those costumes of "working ladies" were better than 25,000+ costumes designed for LotR? Plus, if you go to the official LotR site, they have a documentary about the Ring Wariths and those actors wear 50 meters of fabric each! And like 20 layers or something! HOW??

Also got pretty angry with that dude from Iris who took Sir McKellan's Oscar.

Best picture also should've gone to LotR.

Last edited:

My_Precious

Gollum For Emperor
Reaction score
:mad:
I'm dissapointed that "LoTR" didn't win the best picture, and Ian McK. didn't win best supporting actor. I also thought that Enya would win the best song until I heard her sing on stage... I'm rather glad that PJ didn't win the best director one. Overall, I'm happy with Denzel Washington and Hally Berry winning the best actor/actress. Crowe and Kidman had rather bitter expressions....:)
P.S. We'll be back with "TTT" and "RoTK".. Muahahahaha!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Aredhel

Governor of Imladris
Reaction score
I agree with all of you!!!! It should have won Best Picture, Best Director, and everything else. I didn't get to watch the Oscars, but I am disappointed that the Lord of the Rings didn't win. I read somewhere that it was on of six movies in Oscar history that got 13 nominations. Only two before it got 14. The Titanic and something else.

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
I was really angered by Ron Howard's comment that A Beautiful Mind "was after all an acting movie". Now if that doesn't smack of elitism and the assumption that a movie that contains quite bit of special
effects therefore means that the actors are relying more heavily on
the effects and not their own individual performances,I don't know
what does!
Fellowship contained in my opinion, quite a few excellent performances and even had PJ toned down the FX (which only enhanced their abilities,NOT over-shadowed them). I think it would have stood
a very good chance. That remark just seemed to be part of the on-going
prejudice against sci-fi and fantasy in particular as supposedly not
containing the quality "worthy of nomination".

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
I agree with all of you!!!! It should have won Best Picture, Best Director, and everything else.
Wrong , it should definitely NOT have won Best Director. With all the "liberties" he took, it would have been wrong to award him with a Best Director trophy.

But I think that the movie was great.

PRH

Reaction score
Originally posted by baraka
Wrong , it should definitely NOT have won Best Director. With all the "liberties" he took, it would have been wrong to award him with a Best Director trophy.
To think that he might have been denied Best Director by the Academy because of liberities he took with the book is completely illogical. I thought we had your logic straightened out?

Thread suggestions