🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Man, The Myth

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Well, recently, actually yesterday I picked up a book about Tolkien. Reading through it I saw how Tolkien had actually incorporated a number of themes, and had simply switched the names, and sometimes the roles of the characters. I thought it would be great fun to test not only your knowledge in Tolkien and his thought's, but also your knowledge of mythology. So i'll write down a certain scene, not word by word, and you tell me what myth you think influenced this. But it can also be a play, drama, etc. I'll give a hint if it's to vague.
Question 1- When Denethor sees that the Battle of Pellanor Feilds is srely lost, and dies, what Myth, Drama, or Play goes nerly perfectly with that scene.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Hm, the answer to this one is multiple choice! "The King dies when the battle seems lost" is a common theme.
Let me see...
Ben Hur is the only one I can think of.
Darn, I can't remember the name of the other play I'm thinking about. Doesn't that occur in Shakespeare's works?

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Let be be a bit more specific. A clue perhaps. Denethor commited Suicide upon seeing who arrive...I can't say more, it will be far to obvious. Aerin, try agin. Good guess though.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I think not, Greymantle. Romeo killed himself when he thought Juliet was dead, and Juliet killed herself when she found Romeo dead. ;)

Greymantle

Reaction score
Fine then! The language always starts to confuse me at that point..... as much as I love to hear language like Middle English, it is a little hard to follow.

Gilraen

Reaction score
greek mythology: i can't remember anyone's name but the prince who went off to kill the minotaur; his father saw the black sail (which was supposed to symbolise that le prince had perished) and leapt off a cliff. am i right ? :D

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Aye, Thorondor, my thoughts exactly.

Was it Julius Caesar? Brutus and Cassius both commited suicide when their end seemed near. Also, the Dark Lord might be compared to Octavian, who (although wasn't evil by any means) was considered a tyrant by some.

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Prize to Gilraen!! theseus and the Minatour indeed. Well, that concludes week one, though it has stretched out quite a bit. I'll have the second myth in tomorrow.

Gilraen

Reaction score
:D aha! theseus it was! (gives a pretty little curtsey).

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
I'm real sorry guys for the delay:( to many crazy projects, an I can't find the blasted book where it's all in. But since i'm going to my trusty Barnes and Noble I shall quickly come back bearing a few more. Be patient till tomorrow, and again I'm very very very sorry:( :( :(

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
OK, after an all to long delay i'm back and have quite an interesting one for you guys this time. It's got a number of points, but once you get one you can easily get them all.
Boromirs death is very akin to another's doom. This myth is not as ancient as greece, and may hve actually been.
Aragorn was and can be compared to this individual.
*Boromir's character and Aragorn's are not the same, though they are two main characters within this tale*

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
From what legend/true tale/myth would that be? (Just name it and you have won!)

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
Sorry to say no. If any of you want to give up, fine. Think Roland!

Thread suggestions