🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Melting Pot

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Úlairi said:
Americans and their lethal toys. sheeeesh. ;)
That is NOT funny! Do not tar all of us with the same brush! If I knew what country you were from, I'm sure I'd find something to make a similar and equally stupid stereotype about. But I wouldn't.

Lotho

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Lotho_Pimple said:
That is NOT funny! Do not tar all of us with the same brush! If I knew what country you were from, I'm sure I'd find something to make a similar and equally stupid stereotype about. But I wouldn't.

Lotho
We have the same sort of clowns here, but they wouldn't get away with shooting off guns because a small island like Britain is easier to police.

We have in the past been very hobbitlike - for instance, we believe ourselves to be the only nation in the European Union that enforces all the rules (some of them pretty stupid) and a greengrocer now has a criminal record for selling bananas by the pound instead of the kilo.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Eledhwen said:
we believe ourselves to be the only nation in the European Union that enforces all the rules (some of them pretty stupid) and a greengrocer now has a criminal record for selling bananas by the pound instead of the kilo.
Would that we had similar problems instead of the ones we have!:eek:

(By the way, I notice that something is happening to the green skin on the website — it seems to be getting a kind of ghastly grey to it — something like I'd imagine the color of water in the bogs and swamps in and around Gorgoroth...)

Lotho

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Lotho_Pimple said:
(By the way, I notice that something is happening to the green skin on the website — it seems to be getting a kind of ghastly grey to it — something like I'd imagine the color of water in the bogs and swamps in and around Gorgoroth...)

Lotho
It's verdigris. Someone left the server out in the rain.

Sometimes I think I would rather have problems with hotheads than be in a system that criminalises someone for not weighing their fruit and veg in the right units. Which problem is the most insidious?

On a lighter note, I'd like to mention the Cumberland Gerners. Here is a news item on this quaint English custom
The World Gurning Championships is taking place at the Egremont Crab Fair in Cumbria.

Contestants are required to wear a horse collar while they pull their best grotesque and extraordinary faces.

Reigning World Gurning Champion Peter Jackman is hoping to defend his title at the show today.

The championships are thought to date back to the days when the village idiot was invited to pull funny faces in exchange for a few pints of beer.

Other attractions at the fair, which dates back 730 years, include Cumberland Wrestling, Morris Dancing and a ferret show.

elffriend

Reaction score
As i live in Wales on St Davids day we have Eisteddfod, which is a type of competition, were choirs, and people sing, and recite poetry. One custom that only occurs in this part of wales is called Primrose day, this occurs on the sunday nearest to 21st of april, tradtionally children would go and pick a large bunch of Primroses and give to their mother, then in the evening the bunch of primroses would be put in the window and a candle lit, so that the spring planting would grow to a good harvest.
New years eve we have first footing, were a dark heade male with alump of coal would tap your door, to give you good luck for the coming year, and we also would open the back door to let out the old year and then open the front door to let in the new year.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Lotho_Pimple said:

Lotho
I never wanted it to be funny! Go ahead! I'm an Aussie, bet you can't tell me one I haven't already heard. You Americans classify all of us with the most close-minded and simplitic comments I've ever seen, and not a single American I've talked to hasn't said something of an idiotic nature about my country. Do they teach evolution over there? We're all a bunch of friggin' yobbos who have zero IQ, and like to eat out of the palm of the hand of America. Take your best shot!

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Úlairi said:
I never wanted it to be funny! Go ahead! I'm an Aussie, bet you can't tell me one I haven't already heard. You Americans classify all of us with the most close-minded and simplitic comments I've ever seen, and not a single American I've talked to hasn't said something of an idiotic nature about my country. Do they teach evolution over there? We're all a bunch of friggin' yobbos who have zero IQ, and like to eat out of the palm of the hand of America. Take your best shot!
Not THIS American! So don't lump me in with the few American morons who have denigrated Australia.

Lotho

Melian Le Fay

Lover of night
Reaction score
In every nation you always have stupid, close-minded, stereotype-prone people, as you too have intelligent, open-minded people like us! :p
No, I'm serious. Every culture, every country has it's funny, unecessary or intriguing custom. And every country (or people) has flaws and traits.
Let's not argue about our differences and let's not do this "my countri/people" is in superior to yours in this and that... There' s no need to be arrogant on national basis...
Let's talk about positive stuff in our societies...

I noticed there are plenty of people here who are not from English - spoken countries... quite a lot from southern Europe... Like me! :D

I personally enjoy "talking" to people from USA, Uk, Aussie... I get to correct my english grammar! :p :D

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Hehe...:p

Ok, let's not argue about our differences...;)

So, you're from Serbia..?;)
Hail, neighbour!:D
Tell us about some of your costums..for example, in Bulgaria on 14th February we celebrate not only St. Valentine Day but also the Day of Wine - Trifon Zarezan...:D So it's kinda merry and joyful on the 14th...:D

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
In Finland Feb 14th is a day for friends more than lovers, it is a day when you remember your friends, especially those who live far away. It is a time to celebrate the people who are there for you when you need them, who you can turn to and who turn to you . Now that I'm in England I find Valentine's Day a bit forced, everywhere you see adverts about Valentine's Day, it is about roses and cards and pink champagne.... it is as if you have to be romantic, if you are single you have to find yourself someone to spend Valentine's with otherwise you are 'strange'. I have told my fiancee that of course it would be nice to receive roses and chocolate for a present on Valentine's Day, but it mustn't be the only time of the year for those... and he shouldn't give me presents just because 'it's the thing to do'. I much preferred the Finnish version, where you really appreciate your friends.

:)

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
Finduilas said:
Tell us about some of your costums..for example, in Bulgaria on 14th February we celebrate not only St. Valentine Day but also the Day of Wine - Trifon Zarezan...:D So it's kinda merry and joyful on the 14th...:D
Yeah, I've heard about that (is that your nose, Trifon?--hope I recall well... :p:D ).

BTW: Here in the beautiful (;)) land of PL, St. Valentine is a patron of the sick (not only lovers, who are sick of love;)), if I recall well--epilepsy in specific. This came from our neighbours, Germans, who sought the meaning of his name in the etymology of their language (ger.verb. fallen--to fall--padac(in PL), hence padaczka--epilepsy is called St. Valentine's disease in PL). Oh, it's a religious-tradition-matter, don't know if I'm right about it (if there are no "loud nays";), guess I'll be right then:D).

Melian Le Fay

Lover of night
Reaction score
Starflower said:
In Finland Feb 14th is a day for friends more than lovers, it is a day when you remember your friends, especially those who live far away. It is a time to celebrate the people who are there for you when you need them, who you can turn to and who turn to you . Now that I'm in England I find Valentine's Day a bit forced, everywhere you see adverts about Valentine's Day, it is about roses and cards and pink champagne.... it is as if you have to be romantic, if you are single you have to find yourself someone to spend Valentine's with otherwise you are 'strange'. I have told my fiancee that of course it would be nice to receive roses and chocolate for a present on Valentine's Day, but it mustn't be the only time of the year for those... and he shouldn't give me presents just because 'it's the thing to do'. I much preferred the Finnish version, where you really appreciate your friends.

:)
I agree with you on that "forced holiday spirit"... Nothing kills my holiday spirit like advertising and mass-consumption... It's the same with Christmas - it's all turned into buy, buy, buy...

Since we're Orthodox, we don't celebrate St. Valentine, but St. Trifun (just like you guys, Findi). Except our's isn't "cut-off" ;) :p Here too, St. Trifun is wine patron, but he is also patron of those in love, those who love, and those out of love - but searching for it... And like in Finland, he's also patron of friends... But recentrly, due to globalisation, and great popularity of Anglo-American culture, more and more people started bothering about roses, chocolates, romantics... It's really getting forced now to do something special on this day... Like you can't do anything special any other day! :D

As for some Serbian customs... For example, we celebrate St. patron's day. Each family has a saint (biblical or later) who is taken as a patron of the family. In church calendar, there is a day of each saint patron, so all families who celebrate it gather home and have a special dinner. We bake (or nowadays, buy) a special "saint-day" bread which is actually sweet and decorated with little bough-made figurines of birds, fruit, amblems, etc. Then, before dinner, the bread is cut, then the host pours some wine in it (symbols of Christianity) and they lit a special candle. Then family says prayer and then comes a rich dinner. The old custom says this should be celebrated for three days, 'cause the next two days we invite friends, distant relatives, etc. But nobody has that much free time... One doesn't have to be religious to celebrate this, it's more the matter of tradition and a family holiday. The cool part about this, for us, "kids" is that we don't have to go to school... :D

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help here! :)

My daughter, who's studying tourism, is working on a project - An entertaining programme for foreign tourists ... And now, we need to learn about some popular indoor games ... You know ... such games people like playing while being with friends ... having fun...

Can you share with me some info on such games in your countries ... PLEASE! :)

wraithfully yours :)

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
chess? oh, i forgot it should include fun :p well, who told it isn't? it's funny (and amusing, as whole PL :rolleyes: ) when you make it funny...

isn't the best option? oh, need to think a little on that... as they say here: indoor (esp. house) people just... die (out of boredom, of course)

*thinking hard*

Thread suggestions