The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Never Asked Question

wizard2c

Reaction score
I am doing some research for a writing and my question is:

Does Tolkien anywhere in The Lord of the Rings mention the specific words "Children of the World"? If not does he make reference to the word "children" in some content?

carol
wizard2c

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
He does once use the words "Children of the World" in Appendix F of the LotR
From LotR: Appendix F
Elves has been used to translate both Quendi, 'the speakers', the High-elven name of all their kind, and Eldar, the name of the Three kindreds that sought of the Undying Realm and came there at the beginning of Days (save the Sindar only. This old word was indeed the only one available, and was once fitted to apply to such memories of this people as men preserved, or to the making of Men's minds not wholly dissimilar. But it has been diminished, ant to many it may now suggest fancies either pretty or silly, as unlike to the Quendi of old as are butterflies to the swift falcon - not that any of the Quendi ever possessed wings of the body, as unnatural to them as to Men. They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as kings, who now are gone; the People of the Great Journey, the people of the Stars. they were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin; and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that now is heard. They were valiant, but the history of those that returned to Middle-earth in exile was grievous; and though it was in far-off days crossed by the fate of the Fathers, their fate is not that of Men. Their dominion passed long ago, and they dwell now beyond the circles of the world, and do not return.
He refers to Men and Elves more often as "Children of Eru" or "Children of Ilúvatar" though he does not do this in the LotR.

Last edited:

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
I don't think 'the world' is used much in LotR, as it has too many connotations with the here and now. Tolkien uses 'children of God' quite a lot in 'Letters'; being free, outside of the story itself, of his self-imposed expunging of religion from the LotR; but I can't find reference to 'children of the world' in them.

Ingolmin

Reaction score
Who really was Eru Illuvitar and what did he create Arda for? Did he take any incarnations in Ea?How the Children of Illuvitar were created?

Belthil

Reaction score
Who really was Eru Illuvitar and what did he create Arda for? Did he take any incarnations in Ea?How the Children of Illuvitar were created?
This is my selfmade ancestor tree of Eru...

upload_2019-7-12_9-52-49.png

Yondo-hinya is Eru ...

I don't think that this has been asked in TTF before:
What is the "Osanwe-Kenta"?
I leave this as a homework assignement to our fellow guildmembers.:)
Here it is ... :)

Attachments

Thread suggestions