🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The new movie: Prince Caspian

yhwh1st

Call me Meg :)
Reaction score
I would like to hear people's opinions on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie and what they expect from the next one, how close are they to the books, etc.

I'm also posting an article on the production of Prince Caspian. Taken from this site. This should be a good conversation starter. :rolleyes:

"BURBANK, CA, February 16, 2007 — "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian," the second live-action/CGI motion picture adaptation of C.S. Lewis' beloved series of literary classics, began principal photography on location in Auckland, New Zealand, on February 12, 2007. The production, once again a joint venture between the Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media, continues the franchise which commenced with the spectacular, Oscar-winning 2005 release, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," which went on to earn over $745 million dollars in its worldwide theatrical release, making it one of the most successful movies ever made and one of the biggest successes in the annals of the Walt Disney Studios.

Native New Zealander Andrew Adamson (the Oscar®-winning "Shrek," "Shrek 2") embarks on his second Narnian film adventure, returning to his homeland to helm the follow-up film from a screenplay he co-wrote with Emmy Award-winning writing partners Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (HBO's "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers"), who also co-scripted the first film. Adamson also reunites with the producers of the first "Narnia" film — Academy Award®-winner Mark Johnson ("Rain Man," "Bugsy," "The Notebook") and Philip Steuer ("The Rookie," "The Alamo").

Following the tremendous success of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," the filmmakers immediately began their planning and pre-production efforts on "Prince Caspian" in early 2006. The new project's production schedule encompasses another six-month live-action shoot followed by a post-production schedule leading to its May 16, 2008, global release through Disney's distribution divisions of Buena Vista Pictures Distribution and Buena Vista International. Filming locations include both the north and south islands of New Zealand, Prague's Barrandov Studios, the Czech Republic, as well as locales in Poland and Slovenia.

Once again toplining the new film as the Pevensie children are the four young British talents discovered by Adamson for the first film — Georgie Henley as Lucy, Skandar Keynes as Edmund, William Moseley as Peter, and Anna Popplewell as Susan.

The film's title character will be played by Ben Barnes, a 25-year-old British actor, a veteran of the stage who is currently best known for his recent role in "The History Boys" for London's National Theatre Company. His upcoming feature film roles include the independent feature "Bigga Than Ben" and a featured role in Matthew Vaughn's fantasy film "Stardust" for Paramount Pictures.

Also co-starring in the new film are a pair of diminutive actors whose talents have loomed large on the motion picture screen — Peter Dinklage ("The Station Agent," "Find Me Guilty") as the Red Dwarf Trumpkin, who accompanies the Pevensie children on their new journey and unites Narnia's two kings, Peter and Caspian; and Warwick Davis ("Willow," "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy") as the suspicious Black Dwarf, Nikabrik. The film also features veteran Flemish actor Vincent Grass ("Vatel," "Londinium") as the wise old sage, Doctor Cornelius, Prince Caspian's tutor who educates the future Narnian king in the history of his land. Veteran Scottish actor Ken Stott ("Casanova," "King Arthur") will lend his vocal talents to the role of Trufflehunter, the faithful badger who believes the former Kings and Queens of Narnia will return to assist Caspian in his quest.

Inspired by Lewis' imaginative creations, the story's human cast will once again be complemented by a gallery of original creatures portrayed onscreen in the combined efforts of live-action and CGI animation under the supervision of visual effects supervisor Dean Wright, who will also collaborate this time with VFX veteran Wendy Rogers ("Shrek," "Flushed Away"), and the movie magicians at London's Moving Picture Company, Framestore/CFC and Weta Digital in New Zealand. Five -time Academy Award®-winning visualist Richard Taylor ("Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "King Kong") and the wizards from his Weta Workshop will also design the film's armor and weaponry for Narnia's new inhabitants, the Telmarines.

Howard Berger and Tami Lane will also reprise their efforts for the film's makeup effects, and will manufacture and apply hundreds of special makeup prosthetics for many of the unique characters in the story.

Adamson has again secured the talents of Oscar®-nominated production designer Roger Ford ("Babe," "Peter Pan," "The Quiet American"), award-winning costume designer Isis Mussenden ("Shrek," "Shrek 2," "10 Items or Less"), and film editor Sim Evan-Jones ("Shrek," "Shrek 2"). Industry veteran Karl Walter Lindenlaub, ASC, bvk ("Independence Day," "Stargate," "Because of Winn-Dixie") joins Adamson's technical team as director of photography.

The enchanted characters of C.S. Lewis's timeless fantasy come to dazzling life again in this second installment of the seven book series, in which the Pevensie siblings — Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy — are magically and mysteriously transported back from World War II England to Narnia, where a thrilling, perilous new adventure and an even greater test of their faith and courage awaits them.

One year after the incredible events of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe," the newly-annointed Kings and Queens of Narnia find themselves back in that faraway wondrous realm, only to discover that more than 1000 years have passed in Narnian time. During their absence, the Golden Age of Narnia has become extinct, and now exists as little more than folklore. The land's magical talking animals and mythical creatures have disappeared, becoming little more than folk tales to the Telmarines, a race of humans led by the evil King Miraz, who now rules the land without mercy. Though his name is still remembered in the woods, the mighty lion Aslan has also not been seen in a thousand years.

The four children have been summoned back to Narnia by Caspian, the young heir to the Telmarine throne whose life is in danger as his evil uncle Miraz plans to eliminate the young warrior so his own newborn son can ascend the throne. With the help of the kindly dwarf, a courageous talking mouse named Reepicheep, and a leery Black Dwarf, Nikabrik, the Narnians, led by the mighty knights Peter and Caspian, embark on a remarkable journey to find Aslan, rescue Narnia from Miraz's tyrannical hold, and restore magic and glory to the land.

"Prince Caspian" is the second (appearing in 1951) of Lewis' seven-book "Chronicles of Narnia" series. Published between 1950-56 and long regarded as one of literature's most enduring and imaginative classics, Lewis' books have sold over 100,000,000 books in 29 different languages, making it the second biggest book series the world over. In addition to the second novel, the Oxford scholar wrote six additional books, including "The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader'" (1952), "The Silver Chair" (1953) "The Horse and His Boy" (1954) "The Magician's Nephew" (the prequel to the first book, 1955), "The Last Battle" (1956) and the story that launched the series in 1950, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." "

HLGStrider

All Knowing Magic Cat
Reaction score
Looks pretty straight forward. I'm glad they are keeping the four children. I hate mid-series cast changes. As for the new cast, I am familiar with a lot of the movies listed, but I can't place the faces.

yhwh1st

Reaction score
Yes, yes, but I'm a little worried about the 25 year-old for the part of Prince Caspian. In the book he's about 15, tops. I think closer to 14. I wish I knew what he looks like. It might make me feel better.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Yay Trumpkin! Anyways, yes, the only problem I read was the bit about some twenty-five year old dude playing Prince Caspian. But then, you know, those movie-makers have all kinds of creepy technological ways to mess with the truth. They can shrink him and give him a cracking teen-aged voice, if they feel like it, then allow the actor a bit more truth for sticking him in The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader. :rolleyes:

Towards that The Lion, The Witch, As Well As The Wardrobe movie, I made some little rant here about it at one point, but I was mostly quite content with the thing. It was loyal to the book. There were plenty of mistakes, though. I liked the old movie much better.

yhwh1st

Reaction score
Yay Trumpkin! Anyways, yes, the only problem I read was the bit about some twenty-five year old dude playing Prince Caspian. But then, you know, those movie-makers have all kinds of creepy technological ways to mess with the truth. They can shrink him and give him a cracking teen-aged voice, if they feel like it, then allow the actor a bit more truth for sticking him in The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader. :rolleyes:
Ah! Yes, that's true. But I'd still feel a little better about it if I knew what he looked like. *dances around singing: "May 2008! May 2008! May 2008!!!* :D :D :D (can you tell I'm excited? ;) )

Towards that The Lion, The Witch, As Well As The Wardrobe movie, I made some little rant here about it at one point, but I was mostly quite content with the thing. It was loyal to the book. There were plenty of mistakes, though. I liked the old movie much better.
Actually didn't like the old movie very much, but are you talking about the animated one, or the BBC? I'll admit I ranted some to my sister and friends about the new one, but over all I think they did a really good job. I do think it helped that they had Douglas Gresham on the set. He would definately want to stay true to Lewis.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I was writing about one that was not animated. I am unaware of who made the movie, though, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are both thinking of some B. B. C. thing. Why not? I have never seen an animated version of that book. Anyways, I'm sure that I could think up some problems with the older version, but still. --->

Of the two White Witches, which was better? Easily the one from the older movie. Scary.

Also, the two Peterses? The one from the older movie was easily truer to the book, being all sickeningly perfect. The one from the newer version with any doubts at all? Craziness! The Peter that I despise is brainless and holds merely the barest minimums of a soul.

Also, the Lucy from the newer version wasn't in the movie enough. In the book as well as the older version, she was always soaking up limelight, acting all sickeningly pure. Ick.

I would have preferred beavers of a size in between those from the two films, though. :rolleyes:

Ermundo

Bam!
Reaction score
Aye, my negative is merely the fact that the characters aren't complex enough. They're always full of light and love, which, while not bad, is just TO-DAM-SIMPLE.:mad:

yhwh1st

Reaction score
If you're interested in what some of the cast looks like, go to
www.imdb.com and search the actor's name. It's great site for all things movie related.
I did go and look. He seems pretty young but I have a hard time picturing him in am innocent role such as Caspian ought to be

Aye, my negative is merely the fact that the characters aren't complex enough. They're always full of light and love, which, while not bad, is just TO-DAM-SIMPLE. :mad:
I get your point. There are certain books I love because they're realistic. The characters are flawed, and that brings them closer to home. There is less and less originality in newer books and movies. I agree with you. Books and movies anymore are just too simple.

A little off topic: I would loved to have been able to listen in on a few of the Inklings' meetings. To listen in on the works in progress and hear the critique as they read their work to each other. :rolleyes: I'm a bit of a dreamer. :D

yhwh1st

Reaction score
Chrysophalax: I have no idea why it double posted you. :confused: I tried to fix it but it won't save the changes. Weird... *spooky music plays in the background*

yhwh1st

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with you there, Elgee! The only thing I know is that it's coming out May of next year. I so excited! *bounces up and down* :eek: :D

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Honestly I wasn't so happy with Prince Caspian. It's my favorite of the Chronicles (next to The Last Battle), and I don't feel that the movie did it any kind of justice. There were good moments...the spirit of Beruna, most of the duel with Miraz, the crossing of the gorge. But for the most part it was too muddled down in Being a Movie to really tell the story it needed to. Don't get me wrong, it was good AS a movie (Peter and Caspian clashing, the final battle piece at the How, the absolutely heart-wrenching retreat from the castle), but it wasn't Prince Caspian. :(

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Hey Blackstar, how'd you like that kiss with Su and Caspian at the end? :eek:

I just about threw up!

Overall, I wasn't impressed. I think there were some unnecessary changes, some necessary changes, some necessary additives, and some unnecessary additives.

Let me break this down a bit:

Unnecessary Changes:
  • Calling Dr. Cornelius "Professor Cornelius"
  • Changing any of the events leading up to the Single Combat with Miraz and Peter. (like storming the castle - wtf?)

Necessary Changes:
  • Cutting "Professor" Cornelius from the vast majority of the movie. He was there when he was needed, but really he did not play a largly important role. I think that this change was a bit like PJ taking Tom Bombadil out of Lord of the Rings. He was great, but not really a must when there's a time factor to consider.
  • Blowing Susan's horn that early. I think it was a good way to speed things along.

Unnecessary Additives:
  • That KISS! *squirm*
  • The door back to our world. It was three sticks in the book. Not a dern tree. Why did they have to add bling to something so simple?
  • Miraz's men buildig Beruna's Bridge. It was done! Finished! Long before his time!
  • Not suiting Trumpkin up from the Treasure Chamber. High King Peter would never have let a dwarf use his sword.
  • The little spat between Peter and Caspian. Why? Not like there wasn't enough bad guys around. They should have expanded on Nikabrik if they wanted to have more inner-conflict.
  • Miraz's wife playing ANY role in the movie AT ALL. She was a flat character in the book. Very, very flat!

Necessary Additives:
  • Okay, I'll admit, the extra battles were needed. The book does tell of a war being faught (thus the battles) prior to ever calling the Kings and Queens of Old. I still hated the storming of the Castle though. That was so dumb.

I'm having a hard time thinking of much that was "good judgment calls" on the part of the screenwriters here. It's funny, I remember when PJ came out of LotR, and I'll admit, I was one who saw the movie (FotR) before reading the books, and I was a bit annoyed at the "book purist" and their nit-picking.

However, I had Narnia memorized before they even started thinking about filming (to the point I was offered the opportunity to teach a Narnia Literature Study Class one year out of highschool - which I turned down due to personal conflicts of interest) so here I am, fully understanding all the book-purists for Tolkien, who I thought were being a bit harsh. I'm sorry guys!! :eek:

*sigh* Okay, rampage over. :p

EDIT: One last comment - why exactly did they mess up or just not use alot of titles and names. They never name "Aslan's How", or "Baywater Rush"...that was off the top of my head. I'll have to go see the movie a second time.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
I went to the thing knowing that there would be mistakes but knowing that I wouldn't mind overly much, since Prince Caspian is one of my least favorite Chronicles Of Narnia. I didn't refresh my knowledge before seeing the movie, but I found all kinds of mistakes anyways.

My main problem was Reepicheep. He was one of my favorite characters, and they messed him up. Sure, he could have been messed up a lot more, but still. He wasn't a funny character, to myself. I don't even remember him having much of a sense of humor, either. He was cool because he was small (around three feet tall, wasn't it supposed to be?) but just as good as any more boring and overdone human swordsmen. Did Aslan mention that he was giving him a tail to pay his ancestors back for gnawing away the ropes from that The Lion, The Witch, As Well As The Wardrobe book? I don't think so.

Also, the unnamed squirrel. Sure, Yay that there was a squirrel with even one line, but too bad that it was given no name or use, unlike the book.

What about poor Bacchus and his Maenads? That was a joyous and triumphant part of the book. All we get are moving trees? *sniff*

Tragic, that they left out Prince Caspian's nurse. The same for the fact that Doctor Cornelius was barely around. Sure, it is understandable, but I liked those characters. Humph.

Trumpkin (my favorite of this book) wasn't too bad, though. One too many short jokes (one or two is to be expected, but more is tiresome), but he was suitably cool enough. Not entirely true to his character (not enough of his alliterative exclamations), but definitely better than Gimli's portrayal.

Was the hag with the werewolf some kind of bird thing in the book? I don't remember, but probably not. And was her speech supposed to be so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

A bit more importantly, Ack! The White Witch (not even halfway scary, compared to the book and older version of that The Lion, The Witch, As Well As The Wardrobe movie) showing up? And actually tempting Peter? Craziness!

Which leads to the some of the same problems that I had with The Lion, The Witch, As Well As The Wardrobe: the kids were too old, what's with all of the griffins?, and Peter was anything besides sickeningly pure in every way.

They did some things out of order, but I guess that it wasn't such a large deal. I am fairly certain that there was no sneak attack on the castle, but it certainly made sense due to the personality transplants that had been performed on some of the characters.

I did like that the fawns looked quite cool, though. :rolleyes:

More if I remember it. I might possibly come up with more if I ever go and read that book again.

Last edited:

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
yhwh1st said:
I would like to hear people's opinions on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe movie and what they expect from the next one...
I saw the first one. If the latest one is like the first, I'll take a pass. All the special effects in the world don't make a bad script good.

Barley

Prince of Cats

Among the Trees
Reaction score
I enjoyed myself on the first watch of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe immensely. This was probably because I hadn't read the book in many years

I've never read Prince Caspian so perhaps I will enjoy it :D

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
@ Yay, alot of great points:

And Aslan never says he's giving Reep's tail back because of the mice's help on the Stone Table, in the book. However, (in the book) CSL mentions that the mice were not talking mice prior to the Stone Table thing, during the introduction to Reepacheep's character.

And was was also unappreciative of the "hag". Not not CSL didn't give a fair description. "Like a bent old crone" if I remember correctly - NO BEAK!

And the scene with the White Witch...:eek: There are no words. That was just...*sputters* bad.

@ Barley,

Very possibly you will hate Prince Caspian (the movie), however, was in your position, I would wait until it came out to rent, then watch it in the comfort of your own home for half the price, just to say you did. I can't imagine you were thrilled with the Lord of the Rings movies, but you watched all three of them, correct.

On the other hand, I do agree, no amount of special effects can make a bad script a good movie.

@ Prince,

READ THE BOOKS!

Confusticated

Reaction score
When we went to see this there was an advertisement for a very adult movie mixed in with advertisements for family films. Did this happen at theaters all over, or is it up to each cinema? I was shocked and not happy about it! While it didn't offend my morals, there were lots of young children there. One woman even shouted something about it. I just complained to Regal about it.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions