🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The new movie: Prince Caspian

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I saw the movie yesterday. There were no offensive trailers at my showing. I really enjoyed the movie, but it has been many, many years since I read the book and I barely remember it. The storming of the castle didn't seem right to me. I liked Reepicheep. IIRC he has a big part in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'd like to see that.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Nom,

It was probably up to the theater you saw PC in. Most theaters these days will play "pre-previews" for about 20 minutes before the movie starts, and half the time you can't tell where they end, and where the movie you came to see starts. In that way, big theaters can slip in inappropriate trailers and just hope the blame will be passed to Hollywood - while they are making a profit for showing such material prior to the film.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Prince Caspian - SPOT THE TOLKIEN!

They've only just released this film over here! The swines!

It's well known hereabouts that C S Lewis used place names and ideas that he had learned from Tolkien, probably without realising it (even the title Narnia seems to be cribbed from Narn i Hin Hurin).

When I saw the giant Ulmo figure ripping up the bridge over the river, and the 'huorns' woken up by Aslan to tear Miraz' army to shreds, I had to smile and wonder what JRRT would have thought.

I actually enjoyed the film immensely, as I was not expecting a faithful reproduction and was somewhat entertained by the surprises in the plot - not least that Reepicheep was voiced by Eddie Izzard!

My eleven year old daughter (my excuse for going) was fascinated by the lurve interest between Caspian and Susan, and speculated about how it would affect the story if she stayed behind and married him and became Prince Rillian's mother. She came to the conclusion that it was a good thing Susan left as Caspian's wife was killed off in The Silver Chair.

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
from Eledhwen
"even the title Narnia seems to be cribbed from Narn i Hin Hurin"

Ha, never made that connection; and it's so obvious :rolleyes:.

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
Could be a steal, but it could also be a coinsidence. The English language is limited, and there are only so many vowels to play with.

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
I just went to see Prince Caspian and found that it was...ok, but nowhere near as good as the first installment.

When Ben Barnes was busy channelling Inigo from the Princess Bride during his "You killed my father!" speech, I was struggling not laugh. And the whole love interest thing...ick.

Basically, I can only hope that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is better. With all that happens in it, it should be...after all, there's a Dragon in it!:D

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
I just went to see Prince Caspian and found that it was...ok, but nowhere near as good as the first installment.

And the whole love interest thing...ick.
Did that just come out over your way?

And I covered my eyes ad whimpered when Susan and Caspian kiss. Aaahhh!! Gag me with a pogo stick. :eek:

Thread suggestions