🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Olympics Reach Middle Earth!

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Since the Winter Olympics are on, and since this forum has many interesting topics such as LOTR Theme Park, it got me thinking - if ME was to hold Olympics, what sort of sports would they have?

Archery is a pretty obvious choice. Maybe they could play it with a twist and have "how many Orcs shot in 30 seconds"; points given for originality in shooting, multiple arrow shots etc etc.

Oh, and would it be teams like the Mirkwood Elves and Hobbits of Southfarthing? Who do you think would win what and what would their specialities be?

Maybe there could be a smoke ring competition as light entertainment?

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Long distance orc chasing

Mountain climbing up the sides of Mount Doom

Sliding down rocky slopes (like in the Hobbit! And a bit like the luge!)

Tree climbing (there's a lot of that in LOTR!)

Horse racing (Shadowfax would win that one!)

Can't think of any more right now, but I'll be back!

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Yay! I love Long Distance Orc Chasing! LMAO!

Oh, and we need some Elf Boating. And some White Water Horse Racing (Ringwraiths at the Ford).

I suppose you could have the long jump, only it would be jumping from land onto Buckleberry Ferry. :rolleyes:

Bill the Pony

Reaction score
An early version of waterpolo. Note the much larger similarities to the original polo game than the current form of waterpolo.

(with thanks to Maedhros)

Attachments

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Oh how could i forget Dwarf tossing?! LOL! Oh, i've just been sent a memo - apparently Gimli son of Glóin declines to participate in that event this year. :p

I like the Sight Seeing contest! Palantirs are, of course, banned from that competition. ;)

The waterpolo certainly looks like fun... ;)

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
AWW! MANN!

You took my idea! Dengen and Cir can verify that. I suggested it arounds New Years, as a way to wake the board up a bit after Elessar's little adventure in not (stupid word filter!!!)p i s sing others off....But I've found we need no waking...

Both will vouch for me!

Last edited:

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
:p ;) :D

Gotta be quick these days.

But who out of Merry and Pippin would win? I think Merry has the better chance, even if they are both playing on the same team. Doubles Smoke Rings. lol.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
A Hobbit eating contest (oh dear, that sounds bad, I mean a contest in which hobbits eat a lot, not how many hobbits can you eat, although the Trolls could enter that one!)

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Surfing at the Grey Havens! LMAO! Who do you think would win that?!

Oh, Miss ME beauty pagent would be a hard one to call. I'm sure the Elf ladies would be battling it out for first place. Would Galadriel qualify for competition? Technically she's not ME born.

I'm glad you cleared all that up about the Hobbit eating contest Legolam, i thought that sounded a little too gruesome to be true. :eek:

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
Hmm...

Realistically, they would probably compete on horseback riding, archery, sword-fighting... I wouldn't think much of smoke-ring contests as smoking is bad for your health!

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
What about "Snow walking"...Legolas would be sure to medal in that sport.

And then there is "Tree climbing"...which the elves of Lothlorien has a strong advantage.

And then there is "Table Dancing"...which the Hobbits would be a sure to win a few medals in.

And "Long Distance Walking"...I think Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli would consecutively win medals in this sport...although the Ents would give the boys some real competition though.

Tarien

Patron of Oboists
Reaction score
I am an archer, so this would be the Elven archery tournament.

***Come onto ridiculously hilly mallorn-field. During the course of the event the contestants must-
^Compose 2 origianal sonnets to Elbereth
^Discover new gymnastics-routine-plus-shot
^Score perfectly on the 300 meter grasshopper shot
^Build a take-down flet from which the entire course can be shot
^Repair bow
^make own arrows

please add to this!!

Istar

Out like a light
Reaction score
You missed duck/orc shoot: how many can you nail in 5 minutes? And a distance competition: try to hit a target a mile away!

Thread suggestions