🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Passion of the Christ

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
I saw Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ last night and thought is was very well done. It's depressing and painful to watch. But, it's still touching and amazing to see. So, I was wondering, what do think about this movie, even if you haven't seen it.

sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Starflower

Almost here
Reaction score
it hasn;t opened here yet, looking forward to it though. Mel Gibson has been blamed for revelling in violence and torture, that this movie would be his own personal purgatory that he inflicts on the movie-goign public... I say there are a whole lot worse movies out there, why is a movie with a specific religious message branded as a failure? Just because it is not populistic does not mean it is bad.. this seems to be a film that is mostly hated by critics but loved by the public.. i really am looking forward to it

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
I didn't like it... I didn't like that weird androgynous devil thing that kept showing up, or that weird scene with the kids and Judas... and I thought it was a bit *too* bloody, Jesus would have died from losing that much blood before he even made it to the cross. Yeah, I know that all he went through would have been bloody, but not that bloody... movie overkill. I also thought that Jesus in a way was kind of a flat character, there wasn't much to tell us *why* he was going through this (even though I am a christian and know why). I actually felt more for both of the marys... they were the ones that made me cry.

So there's my opinion. It was an ok movie, but not the powerful movie it could have been, imo

oh, btw, I LOVED Pontius Pilate, he was the best in the movie, imo

Sarde

Shadowfax's stablegirl
Reaction score
Please don't tell me how it ends, I haven't seen it yet! :D

It will not open here until April 8. I am definitely going to see it. I know it will be difficult for me to watch and I'll be crying like anything, but I do want to see it.

Ol'gaffer

The Dawson
Reaction score
I saw it a while back, and I loved it. Very powerful cinema and even though I'm definetly not a church going man I thought the movie was beautiful and very sad.

It wasn't depressing though, nor in my opinion too violent, it was realistic true, but not ultra violence. And I've seen movies that are far more depressing than this, i.e Requiem For a Dream.

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Reaction score
Ciryaher said:
Why would you not be allowed to see it? Too violent?
It's supposed to be anti-semetic or whatever. :rolleyes:
I don't care. I just want to see the movie.

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Reaction score
Ol'gaffer said:
It wasn't depressing though, nor in my opinion too violent, it was realistic true, but not ultra violence. And I've seen movies that are far more depressing than this, i.e Requiem For a Dream.
Requiem was wierd IMO, it did have a very sad ending, each character was and had a sad ending. But evil refrigerators scare me;)

Talierin:
I think that "androgynous devil" thing was Satan himself, which I thought was done and played well, along with the quick image of hell. But I couldn't tell what that thing he was holding we Jesus was being wipped.
And maybe Jesus didn't die so quickly because that wasn't God's will for Him to die like that? I dunno.

I to thought they could've showed more of those flash-back scenes (i.e. Sermon on the Mount, The Last Supper, why Mary Magdalene was about to be stoned[if anyone didn't know], etc.)

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
I agree with Gaffer on this one. When someone is whipped 39 times (as was the custom back then) I would have expected to see MORE blood, not less. Crucifixion was not a happy thing. Personally I cringed harder seeing someone get carved up with a chainsaw in Scarface, or brutally stomped, stabbed and shot to death in GoodFellas. I saw just as much blood in The Untouchables and Reservoir Dogs. The violence in Saving Private Ryan and Steven Seagal's Out for Justice was more gratuitous and I'm sure Kill Bill was a slaughterfest as well. All the talk about "too much violence" was overkill and over-reaction IMO. It was realistic (other than the fact that Christ probably would have died from loss of blood the way it was portrayed in the movie) and fairly historically accurate of what the whole execution process would have been like.

Talierien, I disagree with you. The use of foreshadow, symbolism, and flashbacks along with Satan showed the spiritual side quite well and why Christ died. Sure, the weight of the sins Jesus carried and what ultimately killed him wasn't emphasised, but it is hard to do that cinematically. I think enough curiosity and questions were put there to make people search for themselves.

And I'm with Eomund. What the heck was the baby/midget/creature that Satan was carrying when Jesus was on the ground? Perhaps some opposite to the Catholic visual of Mary with Baby Jesus in her arms? But why put it there and what for?

Overall, a very powerful, wonderfully edited and put together, well acted movie. Two thumbs up.

Maeglin

Reaction score
Tal I don't think the bloodiness of it was overkill, I actually think it was underkill. Jesus was whipped with a Cat-of-nine-tails 39 times, and the each tail on the whip has little pieces of sharp glass and whatnot in it, I think it actually would have been much bloodier than it was in the movie. Oh, and he didn't die from that much blood because the Romans only whipped 39 times, they knew that if they whipped him 40 it would kill him. :(

Anyway, I thought it was a very well done movie, by far the most powerful movie I've ever seen. I too liked how they kept having Satan showing up and trying to tempt Jesus to save himself, thereby giving the soulds of all humanity to Satan. I also thought the ending was brilliant, with Jesus walking out of the tomb towards us, sort of offering himself to all of us to accept him into our lives. :)

Edit: Sorry I said the same thing as you at the beginning of my post Thorin, we were posting at the same time. Oh and I'm sorry if I ruined the edning for anyone.

E

elf_queen

I'm not planning on seeing it, it sounds pathetic, and I'm not very religious, especially about reading the DaVinci code.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
They whipped him a bit more than 39 times in the movie, didn't they? And that whip they were using had little metal claws on the ends, not glass bits. *shrugs*

It wasn't so much that they had satan in there, as the way they depicted him/it/whatever that I didn't like. It was a little too horror movie for me. And that weird demon baby thing still makes no sense at all.

Maeglin

Reaction score
I know it had claws in the movie, but in the Bible it has several different kinds of sharp objects stuck in it.
And the baby thing was really confusing, know one I've talked to has really been able to figure out what it was supposed to symbolize, nor could I, but the best theory I've heard is that it shows Satan being falsely caring, holding a baby like he loves it, but really doesn't care at all about it.

Ireth Telrúnya

Wanderer
Reaction score
I'm going to go see the Passion once it gets here. But now I have only four days left to see RotK in the theater I want to see it before they stop showing it. So it will be a RotK night for me for the third time next week!!!

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
I just saw the movie. It was very traumatizing, i saw one man bring a little girl about 5 years old into the theatre and i couldnt believe it, I'm pracitcally an adult and the movie was to much for me i cried almost the enitre time, i cant imagine how frightened a little child would be. I thought the actors were all great, I liked Jim Cal..(spelling?) very much and the two Mary's espically Maia Morgentern's Mary were protrayed well. I agree with Tal i also liked Pontius Pilot's character, he was a great contrast to those horrible bloodthirtsy Romans who whipped Jesus. The movie itsself was in my opinion just too bloody. I would have been much happier if they had taken out alot of that gruesome scourging scene and put in more flashbacks with some more pariables and quotes by Jesus. In a movie its easy to tell yourself its only fake, but this event really did happen and watching the movie really got to me.
I cant say that i remember seeing Satan holding a child at all though i had my hands over my eyes during half of the movie so it would be easy to miss things. I didnt have much of a problem with Satan, id rather he look human they be a guy in red with horns and hooves.

Gandalf White

Gone Missing
Reaction score
First off, the movie was great...

I took the whole baby thing to be Satan taunting Jesus, trying to cause Jesus to wonder why his Father would want him to do this.

Anyway, I didn't mind Satan in the film, and really liked the woman who played him.

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie, but I would assume Satan holding a child would be the notorious AntiChrist. *shudders* Satan movies are the only thing that truly scare me. I had nightmares for a week about the Exorcist (this was probably when I was 14- so that says a lot) and all those horrible Rosemary's Baby things.

I hate them.

I have yet to decide if I will see this one... not too eager to have Christ's writhing body stuck in my mind, but I would suppose its for the best.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I just got back from seeing the movie...I really can't say many words about it...I starting crying when they started beating Christ...and I didn't stop until a while after the movie was over...needless to say it's been a few years since I cried last........

I will say that I think Satan's "child" could be an embodiment of the hatred the people were showing...that feral smile was rather disturbing, and I can only guess what *exactly* was supposed to be representing...

Thread suggestions