🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Problem Involving the Wizard Guilds

Should the Wizard Guilds Stay Intact?

• Yes, I would like the Wizard Guilds to continue.

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No, I do not feel the Wizard Guilds should continue.

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Mithrandir

Mithers the Grand Wizard
Reaction score
Hello all loyal to this forum. It seems that a problem on this forum has arrived. And since it directly invloves my vreation I wish to address it.

I have felt much tension towards my wizards guild over the past few months. Many people seem to think that it goes against what Tolkien originally implied, and I can not say I fully disagree with some of these arguments.

Thus I have come to a conclusion to solve the problem. I will hold a vote. You may either choose to keep the wizards guild alive, or completely dismiss all of it's members excluding the White Council. If this choice is choosen then there will only be 6 wizards which is more accurate to Tolkien.

I ask for anyone who is in a wizard guild NOT to vote, but please state your opinion by posting.

Thank you all for your cooperation and patience.
~Mithers

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
I don't really know what should happen. If the Guilds have become a problem, then Mithers should think about reducing their size.
That's my little input..:)

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Should the mancers then be downgraded as well?

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I think that perhaps the wizards should be more regulated in what they can do, but I don't think we need remove ALL of them. Abusers should certainly be removed, but others hsould remain.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoops, I voted before I read your post. But anyone, I voted to keep them intact. Read my reply in the other thread.

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
I agree with Cir, there needs to be stricter standards, and no more of this Harry Potter stuff, so I guess I agree with Mike in that sense too. I wonder if having a power point system would work, like the White Wizards would have the highest power point number, and so on. Then if everyone would put their number somewheres in their location/sig/title, they could be easily monitored for power abuse and so forth.

Also, I think that no one outside of the Wizards Guild or the Mancers should have magical power, because there's no control on what they can do.

Another opinion of mine, which will prolly get booed down, is that I think some of these really stupid RPs need to go, like ones that are all one-sentence posts without any real storytelling. Most of them have no point.

Just my ops......

Ecthelion

Reaction score
I think that you should dismiss all wizards except the wizard leading that guild. I also think you should post a thread or something asking what peoples weapons/armor are made of. I mean it makes since that dwarves may have one mithril thing because of the fact that they are great miners. But it wouldn't make sense to see like men that wander with all mithril armor and weapons. Beorn, what if people have chains, or medals that don't cause strength or anything, but because of the things history or something it gives the person a stronger will making them fight better. Is that ok?

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot say what is allowed, and what is not.

I really don't know. I know there are a few things in M-e that have special powers, but nothing that I know of that gives extra power to their weilder. There are the Silmarils, but those are simply pretty. There are the Palantiri, which do give an advantage to the weilder, but not more power. There are other things, of course, like the Arkenstone, but those are only pretty things...nothing that actually gives you more power.

Ecthelion

Reaction score
I am not saying they give you more power. I am asking if things can motivate you to do better. Now, you named the Arkenstone in your list. Was that of personal objects or does it have powers?

Khamul

Anti-Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
And, there is also big problems for many mancers, trying to find people for their guilds.....

whiterider

Reaction score
I think some of the wizard guilds have grown slightly too big and perhaps it might be better and more accurate to Tolkiens intentions if we just had the White Council ,thats just my opinon

arisen pheonix

Devastation
Reaction score
i have stated this elsewhere but this is NOT tolkien it is a fan site the rpg's that the whizards participaate in are for the enjoyment of the fans. if you do not enjoy having so many wizards in you rpg start a wizard free one. this site was built for tolkien fans the rpg's are put up for fun not to continue writing the history of middle earth

M

Mormegil

I sense a touch of elitism creeping into this Forum. Do certain members who have been here since August, and claimed high positions, feel that 'Newbies' shouldn't be equal to them??

Why does anyone have a right to choose to be a wizard above anyone else?

The wizard guilds are an excellent way for people on this Forum to meet and integrate with other people. Becoming a part of Forum society.
As long as people know the rules about Wizard powers and obey them I don't see a problem with the current system.

If we only have 5 or 6 Wizards, who will they be? Who gets to decide? Will these elite wizards lord it over everyone else because they are 'better' and have been here longer?

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I think we should keep the wizard guilds, but downsize them. I think there should be no more than 5 in each guild maybe even three.
But i don't know how we would go about downsizing, because i don't thank many would like to leave, maybe all we can go on is past form and activity.

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Mormegil:
It's not that founding members of the guilds feel superior or elitist to the newer members; the problem is when people join the guilds and come out with Hollywood-type special effects.

Mithrandir has laid out rules for the Wizard guilds to follow, but some of the new members have ignored those rules.
If you'll read Beorn's thread about the RPGs (I believe it's located in the Prancing Pony Forum), his complaint is understandable. Trying to role-play with others who keep bringing out bigger and better weapons really detracts from the spirit of role-playing.

Everyone wants to have the most magic on the forum, and that is a problem. If everyone claims to be a Maia, or wizard or whatnot, then it is no longer role-playing, but merely trying to one-up your opponents.

If Mithrandir does decide to cut back on the number of Wizards, then the White Council will remain. The White Council were the founders of the Wizard Guild; we convinced the others to join us.
I don't think that anyone will "lord it over everyone else because they are 'better' and have been here longer". Unless a Wizard was to become rude and snide in his/her posts to others, what would it matter if there were 6 wizards or 16?
The same problem arises with the other guilds forming in the Prancing Pony Forum. A person might join, for instance, the Guild of Linguistics, and then go on to hold themself as superior to the other members of the forum. Would that be any different from a Wizard doing the same thing?

The choice is up to Mithrandir, really. He put up this poll to see what the general opinion on the forum is on the Wizard Guild; which makes the final decision very fair.
If the majority of the votes leans toward keeping the Guild, then it will stay the way it is, perhaps with some revisions and new rules. If the popular opinion is that the Guild should go, then the White Council will be left.

As long as the members of the Guild of Wizards obey the rules and act in an orderly fashion, then there is no problem with the Guild, as you said, Mormegil.

Implimenting a stricter set of rules might help to regulate the new members of the Guild. Talierin's idea of the points is a good one; because there have been some times (in the RPGs) where wizards have used fantastic magical powers, and had no limit on their power.
To continue the RPGs with good sportsmanship, everyone must be subject to the rules and regulations.

¤-Elessar-¤

Telcontar II
Reaction score
Well, after reading some of the complaints posted by Beorn, I feel I have a possible solution for the problem. I think that the white wizards should be the only real wizards, but that they can have students of a sort, and that those students are more like sorcerers than wizards, and the power does not reside in born power, but in knowledge. This seems more the way to do it, if you ask me, but I am completely open to other ideas.

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
I agree with Aerin and Ellesar.

Maybe the students of those guilds could be like well students.
Studying how wizards do their thiing

Thread suggestions