🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Question Bank!

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
As you all know, we are always looking for interesting questions to debate with other Guilds around the forum. However, one of the dificulties usually comes with the setting of a question. Therefore, I would like to propose that all members either of this Guild, or the forum whole, adds questions to the 'Bank' suitable for future debates.

I would hope we could build up a great store of these so 'debate conveners' can select questions at random for inter-Guild discussions. I cannot see how it would advantage anyone knowing what the questions are, as it will still have to be fought on a given side. Hopefully there will be so many, that it would be impossible to research them in advance!!!!?

I have no idea if this would work, so please add your thoughts, but more importantly your questions:D

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
1) Dwarves or Elves?: Who should shoulder the most responsibility for the bad blood?

2)Thingol: Protector of his kingdom, or incorrigible dictator?

3) Sauron or Pride?: What was the real reason for the fall of Numenor?

4) Gandalf Reborn: Was his return his own choosing or the Valars'?

Just a few possibles...

:)

gate7ole

Reaction score
-Was the choice of Noldor to return to ME eventually beneficial for the Elves and the Edain?
-Was the Balrog of Moria acting independently or under Sauron's will?
-Was Galadriel forbidden to return to ME after the First Age or did she choose to stay?

Pale King

Reaction score
How about:
Considering Tolkiens well documented dislike of allegory, how and why did he come to write the allegorical work Leaf by Niggle?

NB - I guess that the relative worth of this question depends upon accepting the premise that Leaf By Niggle is an allegorical work. Tolkien offers two slightly contradictory views in his Letters:

He wrote, in #131 of The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, "I dislike Allegory." And in a specific reference to Niggle, he wrote in #241, "It is not really or properly an 'allegory' so much as 'mythical'." In #153 he said, "I tried to show allegorically how [subcreation] might come to be taken up into Creation in some plane in my 'purgatorial' story Leaf by Niggle."

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pale King
How about:
Considering Tolkiens well documented dislike of allegory, how and why did he come to write the allegorical work Leaf by Niggle?

NB - I guess that the relative worth of this question depends upon accepting the premise that Leaf By Niggle is an allegorical work. Tolkien offers two slightly contradictory views in his Letters:

He wrote, in #131 of The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, "I dislike Allegory." And in a specific reference to Niggle, he wrote in #241, "It is not really or properly an 'allegory' so much as 'mythical'." In #153 he said, "I tried to show allegorically how [subcreation] might come to be taken up into Creation in some plane in my 'purgatorial' story Leaf by Niggle."
I think this issue could be even more interesting if we wouldn't assume Tolkien's "dislike of allegory" as given. IMO he seems to have had a somewhat ambiguous standpoint about that issue and "Leaf by Niggle" is but one of the manifestations of this ambiguousness...

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
How about the question from my signature (although there is an open thread on this topic).
ARE MEN "GUESTS" ON ARDA? And IF we are, WHERE IS OUR TRUE HOME in the halls of Eru?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lhunithiliel
How about the question from my signature (although there is an open thread on this topic).
While we are talking about your sig.......!

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
I wonder whether the discussions always have to have the form of a pro - contra debate. If not there would be room for other questions like:

* JRR Tolkien - An Environmentalist in the Era of Industrialism?

* Women in Middle-earth, what is their role?

* Tolkien's Mythology vs. Real Mythology - What are the similarities and what are the differences?

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ancalagon
While we are talking about your sig.......!
Common, Anc! I have seen quite LONGER versions of signatures! ;)
But, I promise to find another solution - MUCH SHORTER!
Please, give me some time to lay my eyes upon sth. that I would love enough in order to put it in my signature.
Besides, if only I knew how to change the font's size, those lines will not be a problem, I guess :confused:

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
A long shot, but:
* With the destruction of Sauron and the scattering of evil, will the dwarves retake their settlement in Moria?

I cannot find anything about this in my books, but then again I might have missed something.

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
I don't think that these are debate questions but discussion questions.

If he had lived, would Fíli have been Thorin's heir and become King under the Mountain?

Would Dwalin follow in his brothers foot steps and resettled Moria and become himself, Lord of Moria?

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
Hobbits are the babies of the Eru family. You see after Aule had created the dwarves, Yavanna wanted her Ents.
Everybody put in there two-cents, most noteable was Vana's request for guardians of the lesser plants and
flowers, these guardians were the Hobbit's. Of course Vana being the lowest on the Valar pecking order her requst
wasn't filled until well into the third age.
Does this quote sound all right or is it just blowin hot air?

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
I think I have finally come up with a Question that is worth debate!

Do Orcs have souls?

This is a wide a topic with room to manuver on both sides of the question.

What do you think? :)

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Who among the people of Middle-Earth suffered most from the legacy of Morgoth Bauglir?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Cram or Lembas, which would sustain the soul longest?

What did Orc-Draught consist of?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I wonder if all the questions in the bank were ever asked, or do they sit here still waiting for answers?

Thread suggestions