🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The seven Rings

S

Shadow Lord

I have a question about the Seven Rings for The Dwarves in their halls of stone. What are they called? What do they Look Like? Which dwarves originnaly owned them?
Also, What where the Ringwraiths Rings called and What were they made from?
Anybody know?

Moonbeams

Spilling Moonbeams
Reaction score
Thrain, Thorins father had one of the dwarven rings.
The King of Angmar was the leader of Ringwraiths, so he had one of the human ones. The rest, I don't know.

S

Shadow Lord

Thanks! That helped i'm typing a Dictionary on the rings with basic information and stuff about the rings.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Ah! We are not sure what dwarf lords held the rings. One would certainly have been in the dwarf kingdom destroyed by Scatha the Worm. Mention is made of it in tLotR as Merry's wonderful horn came from that hoard. I would imagine that it was melted by the worm as only dragon fire or the flame of Mount Doom would have done the job.

S

Shadow Lord

Hmmmm..... who's Scatha The Worm?

I know taht Thrain Held one of The seven. it says so in the appendixes in my edition of The Return Of The King

Iluisa Olórin

Manwëva ar Vardava Maia
Reaction score
From http://angel.qdnet.pl/tolkfaq.htm

There were three kinds of dragons: great serpents that slithered, those that walked on legs, and those that flew with wings. Of each kind there were two types: the Cold Drakes who fought with fangs and claws, and also the Uroloki Fire Drakes, miraculous dragons who could breathe fire. The most notable dragons were: Glaurung, the Father of Dragons; Ancalagon The Black, the most terrible dragon that ever lived (Ancalagon means Rushing Jaws); Scatha The Worm, the mightiest dragon of the Iron Mountains; and of course, Smaug the Golden/Magnificent, the dragon of the Lonely Mountain.

S

Shadow Lord

Thanks people! But i still need to know who held the dwarven rings and more about the ringwraiths.
I'm reading the Silmarrilion, maybe there is something in there.

Beren Erchanion

Reaction score
I'm afraid you won't find anything in the sil, unless you have a very special edition. Try in the History of the Middle-Earth books you lucky, I have to wait until they decide to traduce it in french. Peoples are talking of 4 or 5 books of 1000 pages each something that crazy...I'm so jealous.:(

Greymantle

Reaction score
Beren, I've seen you using the word "traduce" a lot... in fact, the English for the verb traduire is "to translate." Weird, I know. Just like everything in English!
Er.... La traduction de le mot francais traduire est to tranlate en anglais. 'Pourquoi,' vous direz? Je ne sais pas! Les anglais sont tres bizarres!
Why do I even try... :rolleyes:

Moonbeams

Spilling Moonbeams
Reaction score
I don't think you will find an answer to what you seek. I remember asking myself the same question, trying to figure out who the rest of the Ringwraiths were, but the Witch-king of Angmar is, I belive, the only one mentioned.

S

Shadow Lord

Yeah. Angmar is the only one mentioned in any of the books i have read

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
The only other one noted by name is Khamal the Easterling who was the Lt of Dol Goldur. He and one other wraith were based there for a time. There is also still an open question on the forum as to whether Gothmog, Lt. of Minas Morgul was a Ringwraith or not. We still haven't found references as to his status. (You'll find reference to Gothmog in TRotK shortly after the Witch-king is slain. It says that the Lt of Minas Morgul, Gothmog takes over.)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Is it explicit that he rules Angmar and then gets corrupted? I don't remember that, and sort of assumed he was already a wraith and kind of set up base there as a good place to have a go at Arnor from? I'd appreciate a quote or reference.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
"the Witch King" is the name that was given to the Lord of the Nazgul when he was king of Angmar. He was already at that time a Wraith.
The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but is was not know until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dunedain in Arnor
from The Return of the King: Appendix A: The North-kingdom and the Dunedain

Last edited:

maarten

Reaction score
ok so who was "The mouth of Souron" than again, i thought he was the wich king of angmar??? or was he a fallen Numenorian??

R

ReadWryt

The "Mouth of Sauron" was a Black Numenorean who had risen to the position of Lieutenant of the tower of Barad Dur. He's also known in some passages as the "Messenger of Mordor".

pippin le qer

Reaction score
to Shadow Lord.

most logical is that the 7 rings were spread evenly among the 7 dwarve tribe, being a rather jalous breed. The 7 tribes actually got their own name from Tolkien, thank's to the forum I know them now.
But is possible that Tolkien also had names for the tribeleaders or dwarve king. unfortunally outside the Longbeards tribe of Durin with those names ending with "-in", the only other name type that reached the books was from the tribe to which Bifur, Bofur and Bombur belonged. I'm wondering what more type of dwarvenames he cooked up in his notes.

Taranir

Reaction score
Three from Numenor

The seven rings were given to each tribe of dwarves I think. There were seven tribes as you know. Three of the rings Sauron got back but four were destoyed by dragons. Scatha didn't get one of these Rings cos' The Ring of Durins folk wasn't in that dwarven kingdom. It was held by the king of Erebor.
And about nazgul: Professor wrote that three of ringwraights were numenoreans and Khamul was from east. Five others Were propably from east and west of ME

Thread suggestions