🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Silmarillion: What it is, should you read it, and advice for troubled reading

Who thinks I should read the Silmarillion

• YES by all means read it!!

Votes: 82 93.2%
  • NAH you don't have to if you don't want to...

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

Confusticated

Reaction score
[color=3000000]Note: Many threads asking questions about what The Silmarillion is, if they should read it, or asking for advice on reading it are here merged together.[/color]

What is The Silmarillion?

After the death of J.R.R. Tolkien, his son Christopher put The Silmarillion together from writings that his father had worked on throughout his life, and even attempted to have published along with The Lord of the Rings.
The Silmarillion quickly tells of the creation of the universe, with most attention to the creation of Middle-earth. It goes on to tell of the coming of the different people of Middle-earth, and the amazing struggles that have taken place throughout history. Rather than getting to know a small group of characters very well and following them throughout the book, you will get know a lot of people, but you will not know them all well, and you will not find much dialog. The book contains many tales, though seperate, they are related and together give the story of the first age, wherein the people of Middle-earth fought against the relentless torment of Melkor who is Morgoth, the first Dark Lord of Middle-earth to whom Dragons, orcs, Balrogs, and even Sauron being shaped or currupted by him, were merely sevants. These tales mostly involve the Noldor, that is a race of elves who were doomed, and the Edain, the elf freinds who aided the Noldor in the battles against Morgoth. The Silmarillion also contains the second age stories of the fall of Numenor, and of the making of the Rings of Power. The book contains answers to many questions one might have after reading The Lord of The Rings because the events told here are the legends behind the Third age.

Should I read The Silmarillion?

[color=3000000]Here's what some of the forum members say about the book:[/color]

-Do you enjoy the Lord of the Rings as a fantasy novel or as a historic book of a mythical place?
-Are Elrond, Galadriel, Sauron only characters of the story for you, or do you feel their deep relation with the past?
-Should the Elvish-Dwarvish enmity, the Dúnedain of the North, the ancient port of Pelargir, the Balrog of Moria be left unexplained as mysterious aspects of a story or do you want to learn their meanings.
If all the previous questions are answered by the second option, then Silmarillion is the next book that you should read.
My personal experience with the tales of the First Age of Middle Earth cannot be put into words. The emotional impact from the reading of such tales of great deeds and sad fates was great. Recollecting these days when I first delved into the ancient days of ME, I can only envy those who will experience it for the first time.
Beleriand, the land of Elves, is waiting for you to explore through the magnificent pen of professor Tolkien. [color=3000000]- gate7ole[/color]

To be frank with you I'm not a big fan of the Sil. It's a great read, and as a companion to LotR it's really facinating, but sometimes it feels like it is bogging down. One thing I love about LotR is it's sense of movement. The narrative is always moving, and there is always some journey. The Sil often feels like a collection of somewhat obscure tales that don't seem to have any particular context. It's still better then 99% of the books out there, simply because of Tolkiens masterful prose. But I miss a lot of the smaller, "day-to-day" details that make LotR really memorable. The Sil feels much more like a "scholarly" work.[color=3000000]- anonymous[/color]

For me, the Silmarillion is one of the most beautiful books ever written. It is a treasure of words, myths, legends, sorrows, and beauty.

I first came across the Silmarillion in a bookstore after I had read Lord of the Rings. It was a joy to find another book by Tolkien, since I had enjoyed LotR so much. I opened it up to the first chapter, read Ainulindalë, and was hooked! The elevated language, the beautiful creation story – imagine singing a universe into being! The idea itself was beautiful enough, and add to that Tolkien’s gift with words...

To me, the Sil’s appeal is both aesthetic and emotional. Here are sorrows to wrench the heart and beauties to elevate the soul. Who can read of Túrin Turambar’s grievous slaying of his friend Beleg, without weeping. Or of Níniel, Tear-maiden, bewitched by Glaurung, who is doomed to love her own brother and conceive a child by him unaware, and who casts herself into Cabed-en-Aras in despair. Who does not cry out in anguish at the kinslaying at Alqualondë, or at the poisoning of the Two Trees of Valinor. All are brought to desolation through the lies and evil malice of Morgoth, more terrible than even Sauron, his servant.

Yet here also are joys, written in exceedingly fair words, that quench a soul’s desire for beauty:

Beren coming upon Lúthien dancing
“at a time of evening under moonrise, as she danced upon the unfading grass in the glades beside Esgalduin. Then all memory of his pain departed from him, and he fell into an enchantment; for Lúthien was the most beautiful of all the Children of Ilúvatar. Blue was her raiment as the unclouded heaven, but her eyes were grey as the starlit evening; her mantle was sewn with golden flowers, but her hair was dark as the shadows of twilight. As the light upon the leaves of the trees, as the voice of clear waters, as the stars above the mists of the worlds, such was her glory and her loveliness; and in her face was a shining light.”,

The awakening of the Firstborn
“by the starlit mere of Cuiviénen, Water of Awakening, they rose from the sleep of Ilúvatar; and while they dwelt yet silent by Cuiviénen their eyes beheld first of all things the stars of heaven.”,

Varda Elentári kindling the stars
“Then Varda went forth from the council, and she looked out from the height of Taniquetil, and beheld the darkness of Middle-earth beneath the innumerable stars, faint and far. Then she began a great labour, greatest of all the works of the Valar since their coming into Arda. She took the silver dews from the vats of Telperion, and therewith she made new stars and brighter against the coming of the Firstborn; wherfore she whose name out of the deeps of time and the labours of Eä was Tintallë, the Kindler...”

and Yavanna Kemetári calling forth the Two Trees of Valinor with her song
“And as they watched, upon the mound there came forth two slender shoots; and silence was over all the world in that hour, nor was there any other sound save the chanting of Yavanna. Under her song the saplings grew and became fair and tall, and came to flower; and thus there awoke in the world the Two Trees of Valinor. Of all things which Yavanna made they have most renown, and about their fate all the tales of the Eldar days are woven.”

As for subject matter, the Silmarillion is wonderful in this respect as well. There is mythology: the creation story, the descriptions of the Valar and their powers, how the features of the earth, such as the sun and the moon, were formed, etc. There are legends: Beren and Lúthien’s Quest for the Silmaril, the Voyage of Eärendil to implore the Valar’s aid against Morgoth. And there are fierce battles and tales of valiant deeds, such as Húrin standing alone against the fury of the orcs and of Gothmog. And lastly, there is history, to satisfy a LotR lover’s desire for more, more, more! about what came before the events in Middle-earth.

My admiration and love for this book are of the highest order. I have been moved by its sorrows and its beauties, and I return to it again and again. I will always be grateful to Tolkien for creating this gift.[color=3000000]- Elennainie[/color]

These are most amazing tales I have read, and they all belong to the same world. Anyone who loves Middle-earth can't do wrong by trying this book. [color=3000000]- Nóm
[/color]

Last edited:

Confusticated

Reaction score
Suggestions for easier reading:

[color=3000000]*[/color] Always remember that this work is a history, and NOT a novel. Names, places, events, etc. tend to appear quite often, and it's very easy to get as lost as Thorin and company in Mirkwood. Attempting to skim the book is a very bad idea. Instead, read at a relatively slow pace (a difficult task for a semi-speed reader such as myself) and whenever you come across a word (usually names) that you are unsure about, take the time to look it up in the wonderful index that Christopher Tolkien provides.

[color=3000000]*[/color] Something that I've heard of several people doing, and that I have done to some extent myself, is taking notes as you read. This doesn't mean the kind of notes that you'd make for a test in school, but rather important names that you want to keep straight or remember. Perhaps you might make a chart or a list of the Valar, or your own "tree" to keep the various branches of Elves straight, or a list of "alternate" names. (Tolkien often gives us names in words in multiple languages, and this might be a good way to keep them straight until you've become fluent in Quenya yourself )

[color=3000000]*[/color] In one of the volumes of The History Of The Lord Of The Rings, Christopher Tolkien explains that his father worked on the manuscript of The Lord Of The Rings in "waves", constantly going back a few chapters and rewriting. This is a technique that I've used somewhat with The Silmarillion and I've found that it works well, especially with remembering exactly which Elf is the son of another Elf, or which Vala did what. I think this technique works because the history in the book is ***ulative, each chapter building on the chapters before it.

[color=3000000]*[/color] Don't forget that you can always ask your brothers and sisters of the forum about anything that you just don't understand, or are having a hard time with. Most of us are quite friendly, and love to help others learn about the works of our beloved Tolkien. [color=3000000]- FoolOfATook[/color]

[color=3000000]
An graphic version of these first two posts, as well as another text version that has some extras and will be added to in the future can be found at the TolkienWiki. My thanks to the many members who contributed to the content of these posts.[/color]

Last edited:

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Is the Sil worth getting?

Sure, I've read the Sil before, but is it worth having in your possession? I enjoy reading the LotR books over again, but I'm not sure if having the Sil would make me want to read it again. Let me know what you think

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
In my view, very much so. I read not only LotR over and over but also The Hobbit and the Silmarillion. I enjoy the Sil every bit as much as The Lord of the Rings.

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Does Tolkien have any more epic stories besides the LotR and the Hobit? I know the sil is epic, but any more dialogue stories?

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
definetly worth getting. IN fact I just got my copy in the mail today!:D:D:D

He wrote farmer giles of ham but thats not really M-Eish. Im not sure if Unfinished Tales or History of Middle Earth are what youre looking for. I thought those were like elaborations of what's happened in middle earth and alternate endings and such. Or am completely wrong;)

Dáin Ironfoot I

Vive la revolution!
Reaction score
Thanks Anamatar, and remember.... Long live the Mountain Kings!!! Or whatever they are called now...

redline2200

Reaction score
The Sil is definitly worth getting. I think the only wasy to truly understand the Lord of the Rings is by reading the Sil. I am about half way through the book right now and this is my first time reading it. I now look at the LOTR completely differently than I ever have. I think it is a must have for any one that loves the LOTR

Arvedui

Stargazer
Reaction score
If you like the LOTR, you'll love the Sil. It might be a little hard to get the first couple of times you read it, but as redline 2200 says it:
I think it is a must have for any one that loves the LOTR
It brings a whole new understanding to LOTR. IMO it is also better.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
The Silmarillion is worth getting because:

1. The stories are great
2. The more times you read it, the easier the names are to recognise
3. You'll keep it out of the library too long and get a fine
4. It gives genealogies
5. It gives indices of Pronounciation, names and Elvish language elements.
6. There is no item 6
7. You'll look clever and well read when people see it on your shelf
8. Other Tolkien fans who enter your home will see the book and recognise you as a kindren spirit
9. You can write screen plays for each of the stories and send them to P.Jackson et al
10. It will make the reading of Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales 1&2 and History of Middle Earth not only possible but comprehensible and enjoyable.

Beruthiel

Reaction score
Not only is it worth getting, it is worth re-reading over and over again! (This from someone who has read it at least 40 times...)
I have seen (but haven't yet bought) the illustrated edition. I have been lusting after it for a long time,though.
My original paperback (bought in 1979) has long since fallen to pieces. I think I am on my fourth copy of it now. Hardcover, this time!

N

Nefarious

Definitely worth getting.. I read it as a library book but often wish I had a copy to which I may refer.

As for more middle-earth books, what about Adventures of Tom Bombadil?

FREEDOM!

100% God Blessed American
Reaction score
What is the Silmarillion??

What is the Silmarillion??

(sorrry if this has already been discussed but i don't have time to read everything.)

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
It is a book about the quest for the Silmarils, the jewels of Feanor. It is the epic history of the elves of Beleriand and of the wars against the Dark Lord, Morgoth.

:D

I got that all off my Silmarillion cover;)

FREEDOM!

Reaction score
I'll read it after i read TTT and ROTK. So it's about the elves fighting gains Morgoth, that would tell me alot if i knew who Morgoth is.:confused:

Anamatar IV

Anabadger
Reaction score
the dark lord...greatest of Valar...creator of orcs, dragons, balrogs, trolls, and other wicked things, can only create mockeries of things that are good, coveter of the silmarils. I know my bad dudes;)

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by FREEDOM!
I'll read it after i read TTT and ROTK. So it's about the elves fighting gains Morgoth, that would tell me alot if i knew who Morgoth is.:confused:
Ufffffffffffffffff.......just read it.then you will understand everything or almost everything.See a thread about Morgoth posted here to find who he is.

FREEDOM!

Reaction score
Whats the title of the thread??

well i'd have to go by the Silmarilion, whereas my sister just got TTT.

Thread suggestions