🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The Spiritual Compass

What's your Spritual Type, according to the quiz?

• Hardcore Skeptic

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Spiritual Dabbler

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Active Spiritual Seeker

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Spiritual Straddler

• Old-fashioned Seeker

• Questioning Believer

• Confident Believer

• Candidate for Clergy

• Total voters

Arthur_Vandelay

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
If Barley doesn't have any objections (too late now!), I've decided to post a link to the following survey on Beliefnet.com:

What's Your Spiritual Type?
"What's your religion?" It used to be such a simple question to answer. But now you might be "spiritual but not religious"--or raised in one faith but practicing another. Maybe you're a Methodist but think of yourself more as an evangelical, or a seeker who is anti-religion--or born again. The old categories don't seem to work because the religious landscape has changed so much.

The quiz is meant to help you learn about your self, see how you compare with others, and have a little fun. Please allow about 10 minutes for completion. Afterward, you might want to visit our message boards to meet others with similar scores.

Click here to take the test

-----------------------------

As I suspect many people find with quizzes such as these, not all of the questions seemed to apply to me. Nonetheless, according to Beliefnet, I am an

Active Spiritual Seeker -- Spiritual but turned off by organized religion

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
As you say, many of the questions (or rather the answers available) seem not to apply, However, like you I was classed as Active Spiritual Seeker -- Spiritual but turned off by organized religion.

While the available answers caused some problems for me, the result actually does seem to be much in line with how I see myself. (Perhaps the mirrior is not quite as distorted as I thought ;) )

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Old-fashioned Seeker -- Happy with my religion but searching for the right expression of it

Funny, because I do not follow any particular (organized) religion, nor am I old-fashioned. ;) But I suppose the definition, as far as it goes, is quite correct.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Arthur_Vandelay said:
If Barley doesn't have any objections (too late now!), I've decided to post a link to the following survey on Beliefnet.com...
Not only have I no objections, I was there ahead of you! I posted a link to this very test just a few days ago in the thread about John Paul...:eek: :p

And I too am classified as an "Active Spiritual Seeker," more in tune with Buddhism and Hinduism than with anything else, but satisfied with neither.

(If you want to get really terrified, read about the Bardo Thodolhttp://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/rebirth_reincarnation.html#3 — in Tibetan Buddhism, which lines up quite nicely/scarily with what is currently known of near-death experiences and the anoxia which causes them.)

Barley

Last edited:

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
Curious, I came up as a "Spiritual Straddler, One foot in traditional religion, one foot in free-form spirituality", which IMO doesn't seem to fit at all...

But then, there were many questions where I was not happy with the choices they gave...

Firawyn

Verbatim et litteratim.
Reaction score
he, I'm a Questioning believer . Yippy for me...cool quiz. :D And we meet yet again Barley.

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Not entirely suprisingly, I am a...Questioning Believer – You have doubts about the particulars but not the Big Stuff.

Pretty close, I guess. Although some of the answers were extremes, with no middles ground. :(

Oh well.

Aiwendil2

Reaction score
I'm a hardcore skeptic - 26 on the 25-100 scale. I suspect, though, that it would have been a few points higher had some of the possible answers been phrased differently.

Maeglin

Reaction score
I'm a candidate for the clergy. Not surprising, I expected either that or confident believer.

Varda35

Amin n'rangwa edanea
Reaction score
Barliman Butterbur said:
I saw more clearly than ever that there is nowhere for me to go among all of these paths. I am an agnostic. I say that none of the assertions about an afterlife can be proven one way or the other, since we lack the necessary physico/mental abilities to grasp and solve the question. I can say that it is a settled issue with me at least that the God of holy books is a mind creation of man's hopes and fears, and exists nowhere else.

Barley
Oh Barley, It makes me feel good to know that I am not the only one who feels this way.:) Oh, and I took the Quiz, not surprisingly I am a Spiritual Dabbler - Open to spiritual matters but far from impressed. The quiz got it spot on.

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Varda35 said:
Oh Barley, It makes me feel good to know that I am not the only one who feels this way.:)
At last! A kindred soul! Out of the world's six billion people I now know that there are at least two of us! :eek: :p

Barley

Hammersmith

Irresistible Ork Child
Reaction score
I scored 89, so I'm a Confident Believer bordering on Candidate For Clergy. I'm set like plaster, dogmatic and more than offensive. :p

On a side note, is the implication of the quiz that clergy have no doubts, confusions or even disagreements with spiritual teachings?

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Hammersmith said:
I scored 89, so I'm a Confident Believer bordering on Candidate For Clergy. I'm set like plaster, dogmatic and more than offensive. :p
My kinda guy! :D

On a side note, is the implication of the quiz that clergy have no doubts, confusions or even disagreements with spiritual teachings?
If you're serious: I think the writer of the quiz had his tongue firmly in his cheek. :)

Barley

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Mod's Comment

This post has been edited to show thread split.
This thread seems to be moving away from the original idea of the test and its results and into a discussion that would perhaps, be better suited to a seperate thread.

Give it some thought, if you agree then let me know and I will split the thread.
The Discussion has now been split into another thread and can be found Here

Last edited:

Arthur_Vandelay

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Gothmog said:
This thread seems to be moving away from the original idea of the test and its results and into a discussion that would perhaps, be better suited to a seperate thread.

Give it some thought, if you agree then let me know and I will split the thread.
Probably a good idea, Gothmog, if Varda and Barley are happy to continue the discussion.

The Discussion has now been split into another thread and can be found Here
Thanks.
showthread.php?t=17387

Last edited:

Thread suggestions