🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The "WHAT IF...?" game-Archive

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
WOW!I saw "Feanor" and that means I should write somehting!!!:)

Feanor told Manwe what his thoughts were about.Manwe was sad that the greatest son of the elves wanted to leave Valinor,but was glad that Feanor was honest.Manwe realized he couldn't stop the elf so he said that Feanor was allowed to leave Valinor and everybody who wanted could follow him,but once the left it they couldn't rely on Valar's help.Elves were free to chose their fate.
Then Feanor proclaimed he was going to go in Arda to defeat Morgoth and dwell in the beautiful lands of ME.Everybody who wanted could follow him.All Noldors followed him,even his brothers-in-law followed him.
and then,somebody should continue.I think the Teleri should lend them their ships... but I'm not sure how to continue......:)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Well, what a company!

Gil-Galad and Morgoth!!!!!!! ;) :) :D

Guys, please, check the "work-book", will you?

gate7ole

Reaction score
I continue from where Gil-Galad left the story. I will use a style of writing not as descriptive as Lhunithiliel’s (I lack her vocabulary and writing abilities) neither as condensed as Gil-Galad’s.

The great council was to be held at the Great Hall of Valmar, where all feasts and celebrations took place. At the appointed hour, arrived many princes of the Noldor, as well as representatives of the other clans.
Fingolfin arrived first in blue and silver. With him walk his two mighty sons Fingon and Turgon. Next to them, Aredhel tall with dark hair, was clad in white.
Then walked in Finarfin the noble, accompanied on the left by his youngest son Orodreth and on the right by Aegnor and Angrod. Behind them marched proudly two of the greatest Noldor ever to live upon Adra. Finrod the wise and Galadriel whose golden hair radiated like the beams of Laurelin on its full blossom.
And after a few moments arrived the mightiest elf, whose spirit has never been matched by anyone else and will never be until the Final Battle, FĂ«anor. Next and behind him walked his seven sons, proud and valiant: Maedhros, Maglor, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin, Amrod and Amras.
Last arrived Finwë, High King of the Noldor, accompanied by his wife Indis.
Thus, the council started. And FĂ«anor stood and talked to their hearts. He prompted them to start as soon as possible. To leave Valinor and with the consent of the Powers to inhabit Middle Earth. To explore the wide lands and found their own kingdoms. And he raised his hands and cried:
“Join me, my people. Together we will surpass with our deeds all the living people of Arda.”
Such was the impact of his speech, because FĂ«anor was among others a great speaker, that the crowd unanimously joined his proposal with great enthusiasm. Only a few voices coming especially from Finarfin and his devoted followers were sceptical against this endeavour.
The council hadn’t lasted long. The next step would be to determine the way of their journey to Middle Earth. Finwë decided that a small representative body should ask the counsel of Manwë on this major issue. He with his three sons and two grandsons Maedhros and Fingon marched towards Taniquetil the halls of the Lord of the West …

Last edited:

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
With the blessing of and inspired by Tolkien, here comes the new episode
And so it came to pass that Feanor and the high Elven Lords set foot towards the dwellings of the Gods to seek from them their consent and blessing in achieving the greatest endeavour the Firstborn had ever had.

Behind the walls of the PelĂłri the Valar had established their domain in that region which is called Valinor, and there were their houses, their gardens, and their towers. In that guarded land the Valar gathered great store of light and an the fairest things that were saved from the ruin; and many others yet fairer they made anew, and Valinor became more beautiful even than Middle-earth in the Spring of Arda; and it was blessed, for the Deathless dwelt there, and there naught faded nor withered, neither was there any stain upon flower or leaf in that land, nor any corruption or sickness in anything that lived; for the very stones and waters were hallowed.

In that time the Valar were gathered together to hear the song of Yavanna, and they sat silent upon their thrones of council in the Máhanaxar, the Ring of Doom near to the golden gates of Valmar,

And there sat Manwë who has no thought for his own honour, and is not jealous of power, but rules all to peace. His raiment is blue, and blue is the fire of his eyes, and his sceptre is of sapphire, which the Noldor wrought for him; and he was appointed to be the vicegerent of Ilúvatar, King of the world of Valar and Elves and Men, and the chief defence against the evil of Melkor.

And Manwe rules all the living beings in Arda and many spirits as hawks and mighty eagles serve him and thus they bring word to him of well nigh all that passes in Arda.

When the Elves’ procession was close to Máhanaxar, there came a young eagle and landed swiftly by Manwe’s side. What they said to each other noone heard. Not even Varda, the Queen of the Valar, the divine Elbereth. But Manwe’s face she beheld and it was sad. Yet he did not speak. And it was still Yavanna’s song that met the Elven Lords in the heart of the blissful Valmar.

When the Elves stepped forward, Feanor leading ahead, all the Valar that were gathered looked at them surprised but pleased and glad. A most warm-hearted welcome they spoke to their dear guests and invited them to join the feast. Yet Manwe kept silent.
There stood Feanor, speechless at first and his eyes were fixed on the eyes of the Supreme Vala. And silence fell upon Máhanaxar for a while.

Then Manwe said:
“I know why you have come to us, Children of the Great Creator. But speak! Let us hear clearly what has brought you here.”

And then came forward Finwë, King of all Noldor and his voice was clear and honesty and high respect he put into his words:

“Mighty Valar”, he began. “We have come here to ask for your blessing to leave Aman and settle in the eastern lands that you call Middle-earth. Long have we lived in the Blissful Realm and happy we are to have your friendship, care and guidance! But our sons have grown up and the sons of their sons, too. Now, we are too many. And too strong is the fire within the hearts of the young - the desire to see new horizons – those from long ago that we have forgotten,. And they also desire to meet the Atani, to befriend them and help them grow and flourish, just as you once did for us, the lost Firstborn children who had awaken under the stars at the shadowy coasts of Cuiviénen.
We want back home! Will you let us do it freely? Will you aid us as you have always? Will you give us your blessing?”

The silence that fell after Finwë’s words was so great that one could almost hear how the silver and golden beams of Telperion and Laurelin touched the ground underneath.

It took some moments for the Valar to realize that they had to part now with their most beloved friends. It was unexpected and at first they could not understand their own feelings that arose after the bold speech of the Noldorian King. But then they looked into the eyes of the Elven Lords behind him. And they saw strong and steadfast determination. But also they saw love and loyalty and dignity and honesty…. Oh! The eyes of the Firstborn! Windows to their souls and minds! The Valar looked through them and saw those souls were pure and they were sure Melkor’s lies had not marred them!

And they gave their consent! Gladly!
But in their hearts only!
For noone spoke until Manwe did.

HĂşrin Thalion

King of Crisps
Reaction score
And Manwë spoke: "Thou shalt leave with our blessing, children of Ilúvatar and may thee journey be sucessful." Now Fëanor rejoiced in his heart for the hour of his gloey had now come, he rose and went out of Valimar after from his heart thanking Manwë. He went to the great mass of elves that were outside the gate for all the Noldor and many of Vanyar and Teleri had come to see what the Valar would say. Fëanor strode out, triumph shining in his eyes and spoke: "Brethren! I have now spoken to in the ring of doom with those who rule all of Arda and we are all allowed to leave Aman with their blessing." His words were not effectless, for now when they had come so far, many were still undecided and not yet ready to leave the fair land where they dwelled in happiness. The Fëanor burst out and scorned the crowd for being weak and afraid of the dark road: "Is this the way of the Noldor I do not wish to be called onew of them!" He spoke many hard and in some ways wise words and at last convinced all the people to join him. Even the Teleri could not resist the power of his voice and agreed to build high and mighty ships for him. He then laughed in pride and joy for all his dreams were now about to be fulfilled, he would go to middle earth and create a realm of his own in which he may rule as he wished. Men were barely not in his thoughts for he was now almost absorbed in his dreams and glory but he had now grown mightily proud in his heart and would not heed any advice.

When the Valar heard of this they lamented and wondered what would now happen with the proud people of Noldor when the greatest of them had succumbed to pride....

HĂşrin Thalion

(I'm getting tired of all these good ends now ;))

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
My apologies for the lateness of this first post, but my internet has been playing up for a while. Oh, and i'd like to thank everyone at the guild for letting me join.
If Feanors sons had not sworn their oath, many things may have come to pass. Firstly, you have to look at the possibility of there being no war between any of the elven tribes, and a greater peace may have been found in middle earth. The sons of feanor may have been able to ally themselves with other elven factions, and the retrieval of the Silmarils would have been somewhat easier.
I know this sounds like an obvious statement, but the silmarils contolled the fate of the elves unwittingly throughout the first age. In fact, beautiful as they were, you must look upon the silmarils as though they were the Ring of Power, forged by Sauron himself. The Silmarils drove the sons of Feanor to kill their kin, desiring the precious gems above all else, just as many desired the One Ring. The Silmarils caused the fractioning of the Elves, and are responsible for many deaths. Therefore, any question involving the Silmarils in this thread are good ones, as they give others the opportunity to write long new verses to the Quenta Silmarillion. Well done for the excellent question, Gil-Galad.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
If....
I don't know why, but I feel I can lways crawl under Feanor's skin. I understand him, I know him, I know what he is capable of, I know what makes him happy and what - furious....

So, I think that if any of his sons ( becuase I strongly doubt that ALL of them would ) had ever dared to refuse to take the oath, he would consider this son of his a traitor and in his fury .....who knows ....he might have killed him!....Or he might have deprived him of the title "Feanor's son" and all rights thereoff.
Now what if ALL of them had refused and had tried to bring their father "to senses"...
In this case I think Feanor wiould gather as many of Elves as would be willing to listen to him and follow him and he would leave them to ME no matter what.
You see, this man had a soul of "fire" - restless, searching for challenges, and by NO means - evil....and very decisive and extremely persuasive.... and stubborn, too. This man, once having taken a decision, would never stop until the aim would be achieved.

That's why, I'd expect that with or without his sons, Feanor would have gone on fulfilling his plans.

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
If I may Lhun, I'd like to start a new question. If you have an objection to this, just say, and I'll withdraw the question. Here it is....
What If Gondolin never fell.....

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by Morgoth
If I may Lhun, I'd like to start a new question. If you have an objection to this, just say, and I'll withdraw the question. Here it is....
What If Gondolin never fell.....
Actually I think there was a similar "What If Question" and there were lots of stories posted.Let me see .....whether I am right.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
There was????????:eek:
Why ....can't I remember?
Anyway, let's discuss this matter in the "Work-book" and here - post concerning the present topic. OK? :)

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
A new topic

WHAT IF TĂšRIN DID NOT KILL BELEG CĂšTHALION?"

There within sight of the peaks of Thangorodrim the Orcs made their encampment in a bare dell as the light of day was failing, and setting wolf-sentinels all about they fell to carousing. A great storm rode up out of the west, and lightning glittered on the Shadowy Mountains far away, as Beleg and Gwindor crept towards the dell.
When all in the camp were sleeping Beleg took his bow, and in the darkness shot the wolf-sentinels, one by one and silently. Then in great peril they entered in, and they found TĂşrin fettered hand and foot and tied to a withered tree; and all about him knives that had been cast at him were embedded in the trunk, and he was senseless in a sleep of great weariness. But Beleg and Gwindor cut the bonds that held him, and lifting him they carried him out of the dell; yet they could bear him no further than to a thicket of thorn-trees a little way above. There they laid him down; and now the storm drew very near.
Beleg drew his sword Anglachel, and with it he cut the fetters that bound TĂşrin.

Then TĂşrin was aroused into a sudden wakefulness of rage and fear, and seeing one bending over him with naked blade he leapt up with a great cry, believing that Orcs were come again to torment him; and grappling with him in the darkness he stroke Beleg CĂşthalion with a mighty blow of his fist thinking him a foe.
Beleg did not expect this and he fell back. Quick as a beam of light TĂşrin snatched a knife from a dead Orc lying nearby and bent over the body of Beleg raising high the orcish blade ready to plunge it into the heart of a what he thought another enemy lying before his wild eyes.

“Túrin!”, the night cried in his ears. “Túrin! Don’t! It’s me – Beleg!”

At that moment Túrin stood, finding himself ready to sell his life dearly against imagined foes, and there came a great flash of lightning above them; and in its light he looked down on Beleg's face. Then Túrin stood stone-still and silent, staring at his friend’s burning eyes.

“Beleg?”, the night whispered…. And TÚRIN lowered his arm and threw the curved blade away and fell on his knees. There on the ground was his best friend, the only one whom he trusted and knew that had always trusted him – Beleg Cúthalion, the brave elf-warrior of Doriath…

“Beleg!” uttered Túrin and could hardly believe his eyes.

“Quick!”, whispered Beleg. “We must be off before the friends of these that we slew come back!…. But I shall need help….You’re still strong, my lad! I think I hurt my leg badly after I had to meet the fury of your fist!”

Your turn ;)

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
And so, Turin Turambar, lifted Beleg upon his shoulders, and in the dark fate surrounding Turin's being, a great light was about them, and Turin bore Beleg CĂşthalion, through the dark and the storm. And as the Orcs in the dells beneath were aroused, they came to assault Turin. But such was the light about them, that the Orcs dared not draw blade nor club upon them, and fashioned themselves into a corridor. And so it seemed that all of the light of Arda was upon the greatest of friends, a power and beauty to rival that of the Silmarils. And in his fortress of Thangorodrim, Morgoth cowered in anger and fear, he could feel a presence about his host like that had not been seen in the land for many years. (here is where, if you don't like my ending, you can add your own)
And Turin bore Beleg for many leagues, and Morgoth's eternal sight was fixated upon them. Seated in the darkness, Morgoth saw that something had saved a man whom he had bound to doom. And his malice grew to a terrible height, and he issued forth a cry which shook the Hall of Manwe. And he set about fashioning a suitable evil to befall the two friends. He called upon Gothmog to summon his Balrogs to Thangorodrim, and like a river of fire they came. And Morgoth called Glaurung to him, and he came. And Morgoth sent a Balrog to issue forth its dark fire of Udun upon Glaurung. And Glaurung became a terrible and dark new breed. And many of the Balrogs stood about the fell creature had a glimmer of fear in their firey eyes. Morgoth looked upon his creation, and was well pleased. And Morgoth ordered this foul beast to seek and destroy Turin and Beleg.
Thus Glaurung, half-wyrm, half-balrog, left Thangorodrim. And it came to pass that Glaurung found Turin and Beleg in the fields of Talath Dirnen. Beleg drew his bow, and the Great Bow, Belthondring sang. But it was to no avail, and still Glaurung came towards them. And Turin drew his sword, and smote Glarung across his mighty chest. But the wound was small, and although Glaurung still stood, Turin was not afraid, and Glaurung put flame all about him, and Turin passed from the world of Arda. Beleg, filled with a great rage, drew his sword, and pluged it into the open mouth of Glaurung. As the mighty beast screamed, he withdrew his sword, and saw that it was covered with a black flame. And seeing his chance, Beleg plunged the sword into the foul heart of Glaurung.
As the beast fell, flame issued forth from the wound, black and terrible, covering Beleg, trying to ensnare him to the will of Morgoth. And seeing all of Morgoth's evil thoughts and desires, stabbed the sword into himself, and joined Turin in death.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Oh NO, Evil Lord of the Dark!!!

You will not achieve your malicious plans so easily as the good Professor had let you in his book! NOT HERE!

This here is another "book", another story, other rules...
Everything is diferent in the "What if"-land! ;)

I haven't saved Beleg from Turin's hand in vain!
Just let me recover from my llness and I'll show you that friendship and valiance can overcome doom! ;) :D

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Mind if meh joins in? I am just itching to save myself from the clutches of the Halls of Mandos....;)

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
(Continution after Lhun's post.)

TĂąrin gave a short mirthless laugh, sending shivers down the spine of Beleg.

"The fury of my fist wasn't meant to be tested on you my Savoir." TĂąrin murmered, still ashamed and worried about his deed.

"Dont worry 'O Child of Thingol. You did what was right and what the situation called. If i would have been you, then i would have done the same." Beleg treid to restore some of Turin's confidence back in him.
And then Gwindor ask them to hurry for through his keen elvish sight he saw a battlion of orcs of Thongrodium approaching and they were still in open land where enemies in large numbers could make mincemeat of them. And so they travelled through the vastness of Ard-Galen and on the edges of once fair Dorthonion and There TĂąrin beheld the sight of the great pines and oaks and firs of Dorthonian that still stood tall and mighty on the highest peaks of the mountains but all around were surrounded by mischief and darkness. Hatred and Malice, Works of Morgoth.
And for well nigh two days they travelled through the emptiness of Ard-Galen and as the Gull began to migrated southwards towards the inner lake of Neverast and the bitter winds picked up they reached a land which was less severe and milder then the waste left behind. but the mockery of Morgoth was still in this land. The once fair land around the upper banks of Sirion was now filled with dark creatures, clears signs of the foulry of Morgoth. And they had traveled stleathly and Beleg who had, with the passage of time been greatly healed took it to himself to lead the way. Their general direction was towards Doriath but Winter was closing behind him and the power off Morgoth was growing with it. they had eluded the fens of Search and they stood now on the Western Fences of the Encircling Mountains inside which unknown to them, still dwelt the fair King Fingon and his people. Now Gwindor throughout the Journey had been mostly quiet. he had revealed to Turin and Beleg that he was a noble Elf and was indeed of a High Family. But Beleg could feel the web of grieve mixed with anixiety that hung over Gwindor's head. And every now and then Gwindor would leave them for a while, straying away from their camp, and would sit alone and would gaze at the sky. The hallowed stars of Elebreth. And there in his mind's eye would he precieve the visions of himself and Findulias walking through the gardens of Valinor and fair vales of Eldamar and attending the feasts at Halls of Manwe. For the love and want of Findulias was stil hot in him and long years of thrallship hadn't smooted it. And Beleg feared that from this anxiety would spring up prejudices that would well nigh destroy the Peace of Beleriand. But Beleg did all he could to keep the things in Order. With a much disturbed and often tense Gwindor and a pensive and slightly fragile Turin to handle Beleg had his work cut out. And being the greatest huntsman of Middle Earth he responded equally well to the challenge and it would often be that Beleg would still alone long in the night, watching the solitary log give out wisps of smokes and would determine and ponder over the ways they would have to reached Doriath or Nargothrond for that matter. And he would go on alone in dangerous teritory and would often eliminate any danger that might have befitted them if it had not been fore-eliminated. And so by the valour and Mastery of Beleg and stroubn Resoluteness of Turin, the company weaved its way through the rough terrian all the while keeping in the shadows of the tall peaks of Encircling mountains. And so they passed through the narrow vale of Sirion successfully eluding the Watchers at Tol-sirion. But unknown to them Eagles were monitoring their progress and indeed Thronodor reported their numbers and their purposes to Turgon. And so in this way Turgon was informed about their tasks but he ventured not to contact them and leave them on their own. But because of the love of Noldo and Clan of Hador, he ordered the eagles to keep an eye on them, to deny them admittance in Gondolin but nevertheless help them to escape the many perils and dangers that lie in their road. And indeed south of Sirion they turned away from mountain path which curvewd sharply west and instead kept on going Southwards eventually reaching the Great River Sirion just below the start of the old road to Nargothrond. And it was the 10th and second day of their jounrey from the Orcs camps and Beleg was feeling weary and indeed so was Gwindor but Turin in those days had gone extremely quiet. Gone was the dry sense of Humor, the strong sense of pity and those kind eyes were now filled with a cold glare and the torments of the ages had wizened The heart of the Emperor of Men into a mirthless one. Strangely Turin largely refrained from hunting Orcs and insisted more on secrecy and stleath and so they traveled along the river, using the thin stretch of Weads along the banks of the River as their hiding place. And thus as the cold winds bore the Glistering Water from their back they finally reached the Birthiach.
And from here they were supposed to part ways. but just as they were about to cross the bridge of Sirion Beleg caught an escort of people travelling southwards hurriedly. This area wasn't still infested by the ranks of Thongrodium due to the vigilance of Nargothrondian Elves and Men of Brethil so Elves still traveled freely in the wild below the pools of Irvin.
And as Beleg saw the escort coming closer he found his heart getting lighter for with his clear elvish sight he held a sight marvellous and wonderous and Beleg Strongbow who had seen things beautiful even in the accord of Vala saw one of the Prettiest things on Beleriand. And his thoughts were further confirmed by the Attitude of Gwindor.
And so in this way the Princess Findulias first beheld the three travel worn strangers and she looked at them and precieved two of them to be elves of high leinage but she could quiet precieve the identity of the third one due to his hood. And suddenly the third one lowered his hood and Findulias found herself gazing in the eyes of........

(I hope this is not too long.)

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
I dont have enough time to read all the questions but this really look interesting.I have a question as well its for The Lord of the Rings i see from ehat i have red that most of the questions are for the Silmarillion but here is something diffrent.

What if Sauron have got the Ring fro Frodo?
Lets talk about that(i hope not again)

Thread suggestions