🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The "WHAT IF...?" game-Archive

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
Well i will start.Well i will cange a bit the story line.Everything is happing exactly as in the book and my story will begin when Frodo and Sam are in Emyn Muil.So here i go

Frodo was lieing on a rock,taking a breath from the tiring walking on the rocks.Everything around them was hidden in the fog that was so dense that Frodo couldnt see where was Sam
"Sam,where are you Sam?"
"Mr.Frodo!?" said Sam beHind the hobbit.Frodo looked back and say his friends standing on a rock with his tremulous look.Always looking around for any danger.What could happened in a place like this.Forgetten from everyone.Frodo stand up and looked around as well,suddnely,he saw something in the fog,something that looked small like a worm.
"We are not alone" said the hobbit to Sam and moved foward, trying not to be seen from the creature.In this moment from the sky a sound that was more dangerous thAn death shooe even the montain.Above their heads,in the sky,something big was flying.Something worse than the death....

Last edited:

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Guys, please, the new suggestions as topics should be posted in the "What if?"- work book.
But ...AM I PLEASED AND OVEJOYED!!! Thanks dr_jekil! :D
Let's continue the game!

.........for death seems merciful and tender if compared to the power of a wraith ..... as it was a wraith flying over the two hobbits.
Mounted on a terrifying flying beast with mighty wings, the Nazgul ripped up the skies above and that seemed to provide him with some wicked exultation for in his dark and horrifying delight and glory he gave out his powerful blood-freezing cry.

He was flying high yet Frodo and Sam felt as if life was streaming out of their bodies! They couldn't move, they couldn't breath, their eyes were fixed to that black horror in the skies as if it did not let them free.... Oh, yes! The Nazgul were the merciless thieves of mortal and immortal souls! They were ever hungry for a new one!

The Nazgul, however did not see them. He had some other urgent errand to do and flew away.

Still the hobbits lay motionless, breathless, almost senseless....

........The worm..... crept quietly into Frodo's pocket and....grinned!
Yes! It did! On a crooked small face, a crooked ugly grin under two small wicked fiery eyes.....
***It worked! Once more!*** - came a quiet hiss through the crooked teeth of the ....worm....
***Am I not the true and most skillful Master of disguise!!!*** - thought then the crooked creature and started looking for a way to get out of that pocket.... up ... up the body of the silly hobbit....up ... up to his chest ... where the most precious...the most wanted...the most desired thing hang.....

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
.....its long and slimy fingers, like snails in resemblace, but much more hideous and quicker in movement, were still moving up... up to their final destination... Frodo wasn't aware of that, still laying as one stricken by a lightning, his blood ran cold...
***My Preciousss... it'ss ourss it isss... we wantss it...*** muttered the worm with its usual hiss.
Finally the "snails" stopped, hissing ceased for a moment and... two tiny green lights sparkled dimly, as a lighthouse's light through a thick mist, on the crooked face distorted by a horrible grin of success. It found IT... it grasped its treasure...
In this very moment hobbits began to feel life in their bodies again. Though they still felt a little dizzy or 'thunderstruck', they saw a strange shadowy shape creeping off from the spot where they were laying. It was moving slowly... very slowly... till it finally disappeared.........

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
Frodo moved his hand to make sure that the Ring is OK.In this very moment he realised what nad happend.
"The Ring is gone!" cried loud Frodo and in Sam's eyes a flame of anger and sadness began to burn.
"It was this damned worm"-said Sam.
They were now standind there,in the middle of nowhere,wondering what to do next or what would happenEd next.The Ring of power was once again in the hands of his creator.Once again the shadow was going to fall but this time it would be forever.The eye found what it nad been searching all the time.The fate of the world was going soon to be decided....

Last edited:

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Frodo sprang to his feet and beside him - Sam.
The mist of the coming evening was getting thicker and although they were wildly trying to pierce it with eyes they could not see much.
Master, cried Sam, the phial! The phial of Galadriel! Use it!

Frodo took out the small bottle and uttered a prayer in his mind: O! Mighty Queen of Light, help us!

And then a strong and steady beam bursted out from his hand where the delicate phial was. And that light illuminated all the place around - far and high. And it fought the falling darkness and the hobbits felt hope and strength ...

But at that moment, not too far from them, a dark cloud arose. It whirled and spinned and grew higher and higher. ... It was not going away from them! It was coming even closer!

Frodo held out and up the phial of light. What his eyes saw made his heart sink and once again fear caught his mind.
For out of the dark cloud came out a mighty figure that towered over them....Yet it could not put out the light and the hobbits saw the Dark Lord in his full power and stature.

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
He was standing there as a rock. His mighty body was covered with a black armor .On his right hand with fire signs was putted the Ring. The Ring of power with which he was going to took over Middle-earth. The hobbits couldn’t do anything. Their hands and legs were stuck and didn’t want to move. Not a single step. The Dark Lord raised his hand in which he was holding a sword with a black blade.
“It’s time”-said Sauron with his teasing voice.
In this very moment like from nowhere a big bird came from the sky. A wizard was standing on it. A white wizard, holding his staff up and going straight to the Dark Lord
“Saruman!?”-said Frodo looking in to the sky…..

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Tall as a tower stood the mighty Dark Lord and his sword raised high and because of its deadly-red glow the whole sky seemed bathed into blood. And within that red glow, on that black hand holding the sword, sparkled the One! Red and gold mingled and the sight was enchanting and powerful.
The Hobbits' eyes were fixed to that sparkle, to that hand...not even being able to understand that that hand held the sword that was about to bring death to them!

At that moment Saruman descended from the skies. He swiftly whirled around the raised sword keeping however away on a safe distance; he then swooped and when the Ring was but within a hand-reach he held forward his wand, a blinding white light bursted out of it and ... Lo!!!
The Ring now glowed on the wizard's hand.

Manveru

(former)blue angel of GoT
Reaction score
A little "turn of the tide"...

Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a 'lightning shoots from under a dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

Great anger stirred in the Black One's heart, forever cursed, knowing no longer any other feeling save hatred... All his attempts went in vain. That "gleaming" Elda seemed too fast for him, far too agile. Though wounded, he didn't pay attention to that then. He waited. Putting all his might into every blow he made. All went amiss. Felt weary, but didn't want to show it. How could he? Felt... fear? Yes... he was the only Vala to ever know this feeling... That was it. The King was waiting for this little, seemed like a tiny moment of hesitation. He swirlled beneath that huge mountain of iron, Ringil flashed like a little lightning and...
And there could be heard a huge rumble, the whole earth, "all rent and pitted", trembled... Black Heart gave a terrible cry. The cry that pierced the air, the mountains. Everyone that could hear it then, must have shivered from a feeling of anxiety that was carried with it... The black and smoking blood rushed from the iron-cladded wrist... And then... for a second... it was silence. The two, that stood there silent, unmoved, were gazing at each other... their eyes were burning with one and the same desire... to end it...

"Pick it up, Morgoth!" uttered the King...

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
... Morgoth, despite his rage, his malice, and his hate, hesitated. Not for any stroke of luck had he expected this, his hate was previously focused on the Elves, but now, his evil was hazed. A dark blindness had set upon him, and the once mighty Ainur was at this time no more powerful than his Eldar foe. And then, for Morgoth, the cloud in his mind cleared, and he looked upon the glow of white, Fingolfin, and knew how it must end.
Fingolfin looked into the dark eyes of Morgoth, and saw no rage now, no anger this time to provide a miscalculation. All he saw was the Hate that was eternal, the Malice that had long plagued the First Born. And Morgoth, with his eyes fixed on those of his foe, picked up the mighty hammer of the underworld, and smote Fingolfin.
The glow of white that had surrounded Fingolfin began to fade, and as Morgoth, with cruel pleasure, looked into the eyes of the vanquished elf, he saw his own demise. And the mightiest of the Ainur, most beloved of Iluvatar, felt fear. The fear drove him back to Thangorodrim, and there, it consumed him.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
“What if Manwe and Eru did not punish the Numenoreans of Ar-Pharazon for coming to Am

And when the Numenoreans grew strong and had ships and riches even greater than the Elves of Eresea, some said:

'Why do the Lords of the West sit there in peace unending, while we must die and go we know not whither, leaving our home and all that we have made? And the Eldar die not, even those that rebelled against the Lords. And since we have mastered all seas, and no water is so wild or so wide that our ships cannot overcome it, why should we not go to Avallónë and greet there our friends?'

And some there were who said:

'Why should we not go even to Aman, and taste there, were it but for a day, the bliss of the Powers? Have we not become mighty among the people of Arda?'

The Eldar reported these words to the Valar.
And Manwe heard of them and thought deep thoughts about them. And then he turned to Varda:

“Oh, Queen of the Valar, tidings were brought to me about the younger children of Illuvatar. They trouble me and I have come to seek your wisdom.

Immortal Men wish to be, just like their brothers – the Eldar. But has not Eru the Creator, our Father, thus it ordered?! He once made me the King to rule this troubled world and I feel now the time has come for me to take a decision that is to bring either joy and light or sorrow and darkness. Hard it is to make up my mind alone upon such matters! I need your counsel! What say you?”

And Varda listened and in a while she answered:

“Hard it is, indeed, My Lord! But here is what I say – let us first talk to Men. Let us understand their worries. For I too pity them for their fate. I have watched them grow and I see them now in their full might and splendour. Have they not aided both us – their Gods and the Eldar – their brothers in the darkest times of yore? Have they not lost many a lives in the wars against the Evil Lord?! Have they not deserved a better fate than to live and grow weary soon and die and pass to worlds even we, the Valar do not know about?!
I tell you, High King, send messengers to the isle of Elenna. Let them speak to Men and when they come back, summon the Valar at the Ring of Doom and let us speak these matters over.
This is my counsel for you.”

But Manwë was troubled, seeing a cloud gather on the noontide of Númenor. Yet he listened to the Queen of the Stars and sent messengers to the Dúnedain, who spoke earnestly to the King.

your turn :)

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
"Al-Pharazon, King!" Elendil and his sons bowed before the proud king of Numenor. "I have with me a message from Manwe himself, to give into your hands." Elendil took the scroll and held it out. Manwe's seal showed uppermost, glowing faintly still with the light of Valinor. A dark shape hissed from the shadows, and it was said that Elendil and his sons felt the presence of evil in that place, though none of the courtiers seemed troubled.

Al-Pharazon broke the seal and began to read. After a while he laughed loudly and announced; "The Valar would parley with us!" His words were greeted with dutiful laughter, though none would have been able to give a reason for his mirth. The king's face took on solemnity, and the court quickly followed as he explained; "We are given to understand that twenty men and women of Numenor will be allowed passage to Valinor, so that they may better understand the mortal condition. If those men and women age not nor die not during their sojourn in that blessed land, then mankind is vindicated in its desire to sail there in force of numbers. However, if the twenty begin to age and die, then it is deemed that there would be no advantage to mankind in such a sailing; indeed it would be the darkest of punishments for the perishing to dwell with the undying, and likewise for the undying to observe the withering of man's strength and youth through to death." With that, he rolled the scroll and his eyes surveyed the silent throng for two full minutes, then he broke his silence. "What say you?"

The courtiers looked at one another, then back at their king. No-one spoke. Then, from the shadows again, a hiss of laughter. Elendil caught the gleam of a bright ring as the tall shadow slowly moved forwards and took shape.

Morgoth

Bauglir
Reaction score
The shadow began to take shape, and settled behind Ar-Pharazon. Sauron The Deciever, it was clear, held sway over the court of Numenor now. "Tell me, Elf-friend" he said "Do your beloved Valar wish this for the benefit of Numenor? Nay, they are too cunning for this, they are masters of trickery, and that is how they enslaved Melkor. They now wish to add Ar-Pharazon to their collection, as they know he sees the truth, and is enlightened. They would have you send yourself and your family to their realm, and entrap you there. They are ever seeking ways to smother the truth, Ar-Pharazon king, and they will seize any opportunity they are given"
And Ar-Pharazon took the counsel of Sauron and addressed Elendil. "Elendil, we will send your host of twenty. But the twenty will not be those who still worship the Lord Melkor, but the Elf-friends, whom I no longer desire to see in Numenor.
However Elendil, you and your kin will not be among the host of twenty, save Anarion. You will lose your son to Valinor, and never again will you see him. Your fate, and that of the remaining faithful now lies in the East, in Middle Earth."
And Elendil despaired, for he had to bid farewell to his son. And as the ship departed into the west, Elendil shed tears for the son he lost.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Gentle was the wind and gently it played in the sails of the Numenorean ship now sailing to the shores of Aman. The night was quiet and the stars of Varda shone above as countless Silmarils. The sea was calm and the ship swiftly glided upon its dark glassy surface....
Away...away ... The homeland of the beautiful Elenna was left so far away...

The same stars still shone over Numenor, the same gentle wind ... the same quietness embraced the island...
On a low sandy beach stood a solitary figure. A well-built athletic body of a man ...He stood motionless gazing at the sea, his eyes as if piercing the darkness ahead, trying to find the trace of a ship that had sailed but a couple of hours ago....That ship took away some of his dearest friends. His heart was heavy with sadness. No! Tonight he will not join the feast at the Royal Halls! And... No! He will not even return to his large mansion either. The home comfort seemed to him now meaningless and unnecessary....even frustrating!...Not even the kind voice of Erendis - his beautiful wife, can silence the grief burning his mind... No peace will Aldarion find tonight!

And there he stood on the beach, still, quiet, sad and .... confused.
What was to befall on Numenor?! He feared at the thought of the future of his once proud people.
" Ar-Pharazon has lost his mind! That Counsellor! That snake!!!! Why have they listened to his cunning words!
Ha! Immortality they wished! What for?! They seemed to have completely forgotten the lore of old!! Immortality!!!...
Flowers are we in this world... We grow up, we blossom and then wither ...
Yet... souls we have. And the ancient lore says this spirit is powerful within us and ... immortal! But they don't believe it! They have fogotten what the Elves taught the fathers of our fathers... They have forgotten the grace of the Lords of the West... Now they dare call themselves with this high title! "

Aldarion shook his head, trying to chase away the anger that slowly had started to overcome the grief in his mind. He sighed... It seemd to him as if he had fallen into a trap. His mighty Guild he managed well and the King was delighted. But Aldarion was not blind! Well he knew that some of his mariners sailed to the Outer Lands without his permission or even that of their captains. Heard he had too of what they were doing in those lands. How they drew swords on the wild Men out there and were no more friendly and kind , but brutal and ruthless if those people dared to oppose them. Their own power the Numenoreans knew too well! And Numenor was not enough for them! Nor even all the wide territories that they had voyaged to and had claimed as theirs, as Numenorean... Countless were the treasures on the island brought from those new colonies! But... there were men that wanted more! Middle-earth, they said, was their rightfull home and there they wished to return and rule over the savages...But the King... The King wanted ever more! Not satisfied he was with all the wealth Aldarion's ships had brought to him. Now the King wanted immortality!

... "What will befall on Numenor!"
With a troubled head and a heavy heart Aldarion left the beach, whistled quietly and heard the rhythmic sound of the hoofs of his horse. The gorgeous black stallion approached his master almost dancing, stopped and lowered his head towards the man's face.
"No, my friend. " - said Aldarion and carssed the silky skin. " We are not going home. Tonight the stars of Elbereth will be our roof and the wind that Ulmo the Great sends from the sea will be our guide. "
Then with a skilled quick jump Aldarion mounted the horse and ... the night threw its velvet veil over them and hid them from the world.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
It was Glorfindel, slayer of balrogs who was on the shores of Valinor looking out towards Numenor as dawn broke on that day. Visible it was, to those with Elf-sight across the unbended sea, though men saw not that blessed realm.

Glorfindel was alone, and had bade farewell to each of the starry host of Elbereth as dawn broke. He was taking his leave of Ulmo's realm; standing in the sparkling waters of the falas he gave a gracious bow. And as he looked up he espied across the wide sea the great ship Aglaredain "Glory of Man" rounding the last cape of Numenor, and his heart leapt within him. He answered his heart with a great leap upon the rocks, and his voice sang as the voice of doom "They are come, the Edain of Numenor."

For one brief moment there was stillness and silence in Valinor as Glorfindel's news sank into the hearts of the Valar and the Elves, and indeed into rock and blade of the soil of Valinor itself. Then many ran to the sea's edge to see this thing for themselves. Foreboding was in the heart of some, but for many this sailing would bring to them their first sight of the secondborn of Iluvatar and their hearts were glad.

An urge, like a summons overtook Glorfindel. He ran to the great peak Taniquetil, to Ilmarin that was and is still the abode of Manwe Sulimo. There he found the great Vala deep in thought, and troubled. "Well met, Glorfindel!" Glorfindel bowed low.

"I answer the summons of my heart, Lord Manwe." he answered.

Manwe rose from his seat and walked with Glorfindel. "Your heart does not deceive you, for I did summon you. I want you to return to Middle Earth, to the House of Elrond Halfelven."

"Turgon's heir!" cried Glorfindel. "Long have I desired to meet him, though perhaps in happier times than in the rise of Morgoth's Lieutenant."

"Yet that is why you must go, my friend." answered Manwe."For this foe's strength is waxing. He would rule over all of middle earth with a sceptre of despair and death. He has bewitched the king of Numenor, and it would take the destruction of that island to overpower him now; a calamity that I am loath to ask of the One."

"What must I do?" asked Glorfindel.

Manwe put his great hand on Glorfindel's shoulder. "Do what your heart tells you, for you have not swallowed the lies of Melkor Morgoth and your heart is true, for even if this foe is destroyed, he is of the Maiar and will rise again. Yet there is hope. He has bestowed the greater part of his strength on the Ring of Power, which is on his finger. If Sauron is slain and the Ring destroyed, then Middle Earth will be freed forever from his clutches."

"You wish me to destroy this Ring?"

"That task may fall to another" answered Manwe, "and all hopes may prove vain in the end; yet hopes they are, and we must grasp them."

"Can the Valar not chain him, as they did the Great Foe?"

"Melkor was the mightiest of the Valar, and none but the Valar could chain him, at great cost. Middle Earth is for the Elves, and the Men who came after them, to subdue and to rule; it is not right or just for the Valar to impose our will upon it, no matter how great the cost of withholding our arm. Yet, Sauron is Maia, and Maiar we will send when the time is right." Manwe returned to his seat. "Now go. A bark awaits that one man can sail; it lies in the next cove to where you awaited my summons. Osse will not trouble you, for the grace of the Valar is upon you."

Glorfindel bowed once more and went quickly to the small cove. There Turos, shipwright of Valinor, waited with Mirgaer 'Jewel of the Sea', a seafaring bark of Elven grey. As he cast the mooring rope, he counselled, "You are not to harbour at Umbar, but sail straight to Anduin, to Lothlorien where the Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel dwell. there you will learn of all that has come to pass in Middle Earth since your departure. Fare well, friend, though I see the grace of the Valar is upon you. Osse may trouble you, but he cannot waylay you."

Glorfindel took the bark and set sail for Middle Earth. He passed within 180 miles of the Numenorean ship bound for Valinor, but they saw him not; and with the eyes of Valinor, he saw that not all on board were there of their own free choice.

Lhunithiliel

Fëanorean
Reaction score
Sorry, Helcaraxe, but I will continue with the present story. :)

Before that, I must admit that I got carried away with this episode. I started it with other intention, but... here what came out from it...
============================================
They galloped for about half an hour through the green fields of Eldanna – the fairest region in Andustar. Swift was Eldon and strong, and he bore his rider for his free will. No other rider could mount him but Aldarion – his Master.

Eldon was brought to Numenor from the Isle of the Elves that lay westward of the Isle of Men. The Elves loved horses and bred them carefully, trying to preserve, as much as it was possible with the flight of the ages, that magnificent race of Orome’s mearas from Valinor’s wide fields. Eldon was taken from one of the elite herds in Tol Eressea and brought to Numenor as a wedding gift for the Great Captain of Numenor and friend to the Elves – Aldarion the Sea-Endeavourer.
Amazed they surely were when they watched the first meeting between the proud man and the proud animal (if the descendants of the mearas could ever be called animals at all! For they were believed to be, too, spirits from beyond the world that once came to Arda accompanying the Great Vala Orome). There came the Great Captain to receive his gift from Tol Eressea and the horse was brought before him. The gorgeous black stallion was dancing around and the Elf that was leading him watched him with a smile and respect. Then he let the horse lose and approached Aldarion. He bowed.

“Congratulations on the happy event, Lord! I bring you a gift, worthy of you, Great Captain of Men!”

Aldarion smiled and bowed too.

“No Man is worthy enough even the smallest gift from the Eldar, my friend Eressean! And I see you have brought to me a real jewel! The fame of the Eressean horses is great and I am deeply honoured to be graced by one.”

He paused, watching the horse. Then he smiled.

“ Let’s see now whether the “gift” would consent to be granted to me.”

The Elf smiled back and stepped away. Now, within the fenced circle were left only the two of them – the man and the horse. For a while they walked in circles, always away from each other. Then Aldarion stopped for an instant and looked steadily at the horse. All of a sudden the animal stopped too. Then slowly and with an amazing grace he made a few steps towards the man. Aldarion returned the favour back and walked slowly to meet the stallion. When the horse was but a few steps away from the man, he all of a sudden rose in full stature and gave a sharp loud neighing. It sounded though not menacing but rather as a greeting. Aldarion moved not. The horse then turned sharply and made two full circles around, running in full speed. It seemed as if he was showing his might and beauty. The man only followed the wild run with his eyes but still moved not. Then the horse approached again – slowly and his head proudly up, shaking his silky long mane and still neighing loudly. Then he stopped right in front of the man and approaching his head very closely, he looked right into the human eyes. Aldarion lifted his hand to reach the animal’s graceful neck and caressed him gently.

“Hail, horse!” and he smiled at the horse.

“I give you the name Eldon. I am honoured to have you. Will you have me as your friend?”

The horse stood calm – his large black eye fixed to Aldarion’s eyes.
Then he stretched his neck and gently put his head upon Aldarion’s shoulder.
Aldarion smiled.

“Alow me to ride you, Eldon and I will show you the beauty of my island!” – he said.

With one swift and light movement, Aldarion jumped upon the back of the horse, holding only the thin elven rope as a rein. Then he leaned forward to the horse’s year, whispered some words very quietly and the horse sprang forward, jumped over the fence, never allowing to lose the rider on his back, and in a few instants they both disappeared in the distance.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
And so it was that as Glorfindel alighted on the shores of Middle Earth and struck inland for Lothlorien, Aldarion and Eldon explored together the furthest reaches of Numenor. And anyone who might have chanced upon them would think not that it was a man and his horse, but from Aldarion's words would think that two friends were together, one being shown around by the other, and the visitor listening, but taking in the sights in awe-filled silence.

Aldarion's sea-longing was quiet, having recently been sated on a voyage of great import and long; so he loved Numenor's rolling fields and thick forests with the great mountain peak towering over all, and Eldon loved it also. Yet a stirring there was in Aldarion's heart. He knew that he would set sail again ere long, and the journey would be a terrible one.

And so it was that, as Aldarion and Eldon looked out from a high cliff over the sea, the drum of the hooves of a lesser horse was carried on the wind and through the springy turf of the cliff top. As the rider approached, Aldarion recognised the livery of the palace. A messenger was come, with a message bearing the King's seal. Aldarion broke the seal as the messenger stood and watched. As he read, ice gripped his heart but he knew not why. After a long pause he explained the message to Eldon, "It seems the prisoner Sauron has fashioned a gift for the King. A ceremony of great pomp is being prepared for the giving of the gift. I do not understand this, and my heart misgives. Too much freedom has this prisoner been given, and now he bestows a gift - a trifling ring - and we are all summoned."

Aldarion looked up and laughed. The messenger, thinking that the Lord Aldarion was addressing him, was embarassed by his candid words and did not know how to answer. Aldarion reassured him, "Tell the king I will be there. This ring must be a ring indeed, to require such a ceremony, and I will see it." The messenger bowed low and left, but the ice around Aldarion's heart remained. Something was wrong, terribly wrong.

Thread suggestions