🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The World Has Changed...

H

Harad

Was this an invention of PJ (and team)?

If it was, did you like it? I thought it was great intro to the story, and showed how "new" was not necessarily "bad."

PRH

Reaction score
Treebeard (ROTK, Many Partings)(to Celeborn and Galadriel):
"For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air"
Not an invention.

H

Harad

Good find PRH.

Certainly a major repackaging. Taking it from Treebeard and giving it to Galadriel. Taking it from ROTK and making it the intro to LOTR.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic. And mixing it with the Elvish as well was a stroke of genius. Both voices (is it Cate repeating it in Elvish as well?) are so rich that it sends shivers down my spine and has entered my list of best film starts of all time. It sets the scene so well, imho, and brings you right into the very core of what the film is about. Even just thinking of it now makes me want to go back and see the film, it has had that much of a powerful effect on me.

PRH

Reaction score
I agree it was very very good. Excellent in fact. However, it seems that it would've been more appropriate to start the film with the "one ring to rule them all" poem somehow.

I'm guessing it was tried and rejected...it seems so obvious.

H

Harad

I might have started with the One Ring poem too. Thats why I am posting here instead of making the big bucks like PJ.

The One Ring poem is very apt...too apt. It is an internal connection to the story, great for Tolkien afficianados. For everybody coming new to the story, "The world has changed..." draws you into the new world, and you dont have to know anything about it.

Bunsie,
I agree with you. I wanna go right now.

PRH

Reaction score
Just some thoughts on the poem...

The short version of the poem (as incribed on the Ring) just sounds so cool. It's so intriguing. It's basically the first thing I ever knew about Lord of the Rings - that short version of the poem. It made me hunger to know the whole story.

The long version really gives a big picture, but it doesn't sound quite as cool (especially since "in the land of Mordor, where the shadows lie" is repeated). The long version makes the short version make sense, as it speaks of the other rings, but PJ seems to have downplayed the other rings. They were mentioned at the very beginning, and then later Strider explained that the Nazgul were once men and were given rings of power. Other than that, only the One Ring is mentioned. The loss of the 3 rings subplot is really too bad, but some (PJ/FW/PB) probably think it's too complicated for a film (technically, Galadriel does say "your coming here is as the footsteps of doom" but that really doesn't do it). Therefore, the long version of the poem is not really germain to the filmed story.

So the short version is the one to use and speaking technically again, I suppose it did make it into the prologue as we see the firey letters upon the first closeup of the Ring.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Get this my friend thought when she saw the film and heard the short version of the poem, that there was three rings...'right so there's one ring to rule them then there's another to find them and then another bring them into darkness... so Frodo's got the ring that brings them to darkness? right?.'

Hahaha

bless

GGG

PRH

Reaction score
It brings them into darkness and binds them of course!

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Harad, i agree with you up there regarding the One Ring poem.

Rereading the poem, it just does not have the same oomph and ability to draw you in as "the world has changed" does. Simply taking this as a new person coming to see the story; if you start talking about rings and Elves and all such things so immediately, you're already starting to confused your audience somewhat. There is quite a lot of information in that poem, and to take it all in straight away would be difficult - it's better to play it on a gentler note, to draw your audience in. You don't want to alienate them.

PRH, i totally agree with your sentiments on the poem! The short version is really snappy and really grasps your attention. I suppose that works better when Gandalf comes and tells Frodo what the ring is, in the film. You wouldn't want to have that as a repetion from earlier, it's seen as new information and since you've already given your audience some background to then come out and grab them, and bring them deeper into the story with those excellent few lines fits in very well, imo. Those lines are so powerful that they had to come in at the right moment so their effect wouldn't be lost, or dampened, but augmented.

Hmm, i'm not sure if the subplot of all the other rings is really shown that badly though. Of course, you don't hear so much about them and their power, but you do get a glimpse of who all the rings are given to near the start and then of course Strider mentions them later on and that seems enough to know that they are there.. but hmm.. yeah, sorry, the 3 rings don't get much of a say. That is a shame. Maybe they will turn up with more force later on? I suppose it's quite difficult to fit them in and have it make sense.

Oh dear, it's 1am and really too late for me to be thinking rationally about such things. ;)

EDIT: That was a really long post for me! *pats herself on the back*

H

Harad

This must be "agreement" week as many threads show everybody being agreeable. I agree.

The Ring poem is used to good effect in the Bag End scene. While in a book, repetition of that sort is no big deal, its a little harder to get away with in the film.

The 3 Rings theme takes some doing to include more fully (except for the GGG version). Bakshi added a wee bit more by having Galadriel show off hers, something not in the PJ theatrical release, I thinks. Was there any hint of Gandalf's in Moria or Elrond's in Rivendell? Again I dont think so.

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
galadriel does indeed show off her ring, but only frodo saw it. sam thought he saw a star on her finger

thats how pj decides to have galadriel go "xray"

PRH

Reaction score
Rereading the poem, it just does not have the same oomph and ability to draw you in as "the world has changed" does.
"The world has changed..." draws you into the new world, and you dont have to know anything about it.
True. It was a good opening.

Did anyone else think the font that "Lord of the Rings" was written in right at the beginning kinda bit?

H

Harad

No problem with the LOTR font...

But did you see the trailer for "Signs" which plays when I see LOTR?

This had a great font for all the "g"s including the title (SiGns), the star (Mel Gibson), the direcor (M NiGht...)

The "g" is a large circle above a small circle with a sweeping hour hand moving in the large circle and reaching 6 oclock in the small circle.

That's a font!

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Oh, now we're talking! The font - i didn't have a problem with it, but i thought it was a bit strange to have all the advertising and such in one font but then to open the film and have it look entirely different. I suppose the different font just adds a little more character to it. *shrug*

Ooh, i haven't seen anything about SiGns, Harad, but i'll have to look out for that. I like fonts, i do. :D

lilhobo, so Sam sees a star on her finger in the film? I vaguely recollect it, oh well, guess i'll just have to go again and sort that unknown out. ;) I don't remember seeing anything that would lead us to believe Gandalf & Elrond had their rings, i wonder if there is something small put in there to hint at that. I certainly haven't noticed anything of the kind yet.

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
I think that if we were given a hint that Elrond and Gandalf had rings, then this would be a departure from the book. Not necessarily a bad thing, and certainly not without precedent, but it would surprise me if PJ deviated on that point. In the beginning of the film Gil-galad and Cirdan have the respective rings of Elrond and Gandalf- so we don't get any clue there. In the books we don't learn who has the other two rings until the return journey from Gondor to the Shire.

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
In PJ's movie Galadriel waves from the bank, and I think that you can see her ring gleaming then. Not sure if that was what lilhobo was talking about with the star.
Also, there's a picture in the Gallery section at www.lordoftherings.net which seems to show Galadriel with a large ring on her right middle finger. Here's the thumbnail, I can't seem to get the photo, though.

Attachments

Thread suggestions