🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

This book makes you smarter

C

Curufinwe

Does anyone else here feelt hat this book makes you abit smarter than you were before you read it?

Dengen-Goroth

Dark Lord of Arda
Reaction score
I have to admit, I liked the book a great deal, and now reading Unfinished Tales I grow more andmore fond of it. Of course I felt smarter, I feel smarter after every book I read, but especially this one.

Atticus

Reaction score
In my opinion, this book, as all of Tolkien's epic works, makes a true fan feel as if he is a hold of something no one else, or few else have. Wiser, smarter, or just in hold of a great treasure. That is why I think so many of us had a hard time letting go when the movies were made; Lord of the Rings, and anything else of Tolkien's work they might put out into the wide media world, is a hard gift to pass on, especially to the cruel public world and the media. We, a large number of us in fact, have kept hold of a widely known, but well-kept secret all these years, and now it is sent, almost against our wills, to the entire world.
What was something that people saw us sitting alone somewhere on a bus, a store, a restaurant, or wherever reading is no longer really a mystery to them. And now they have the chance to bask in this great knowledge that is truly in the books, and it has us rethinking quite a few things.

Well, I went overboard with that post, enough has been said, and the subject went way off.

C

Curufinwe

In agreeance

I would have to agree though, these people who watch the movie will never understand the true values that were in the book . I like the way you used wiser, that is a much better word to use.

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
I certainly agree with u lot there.
As a person i've changed for the better and i am going to contradict my self.
I hope they never make a film of the silmarrillion!!!!
Why? because P.J has taken the The Lord of the Rings and as an adaptation he has raped it.
The events in the Silmarillion are all that is left of middle earth that is untouched by the medias fingers.

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
We don't need a second rape of the Silmarills..

I'm curently re-reading the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales..
A friend of mine said I ought to do that, so I'm doing it..

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
this book is so freakin sad!!!! there are no good endings!!!

much like Dallas and the rest of the Mills and Boons Soapies :D

C

Curufinwe

WHAT

They are good endings it just they usually dont end happily.

Atticus

Reaction score
The endings were not always, if ever, happy. I think the reason this was done is because of the fact that sacrifices must be made to ensure the future. They done whatever they had to do to at least make life tolerable, much less a paradise. Things worked out the way they had to so everything else would fall into place. It's like Frodo with the ring; the quest damaged him in ways that were hardly curable. He was hit from all angles during his journey, and remained sick even after the destruction of the ring.
That is what these stories have always been about, self-sacrifice for the greater good.

Lorien

Registered
Reaction score
knowing that the movie has released and millions of people who haven't actually read the book will be watching it makes me feel like i've lost a deep secret and that i'll probably have to spend my time now correcting idiots who think they know about the middle-earth and want to flaunt it.....and oh yeah i feel really smart too....:D

Atticus

Reaction score
One of my friends asked me which parts of the movie were incorrect...I told him I didn't have that long to explain.

The movie is God's gift to cinema, although not being the best adaptation. Still perfect enough though. But yes, our secrets have been exposed to the world, but at least they now have a small understanding of what has kept us enthralled now for so long.

C

Curufinwe

Here here.
But I do believe there will be alot of ignorant peole who think they know it all now.

Lorien

Registered
Reaction score
i'm hoping that these people who know a bit about "our secret" don't think the movies all there is to it and then just leave the whole thing until the next movie cos then its just going to be ignorant half-baked ideas running around....

Atticus

Reaction score
Actually, that was my first fear. People being know-it-alls just because they saw the movie. And it will happen.

BluestEye

Reaction score
I don't know... I haven't heard from anyone untill now saying that he thinks he "knows it all" just by seeing the movie. What I heard was: "Wow! This is how it ENDS? But what happened next? A movie can't end like this!" from the line before me in the cinema. People didn't know it was only the first movie of a trillogy! Other people said it was a great movie, and some said that if this is only a movie - the book must be much better.
What I am truly curious is how people that haven't read the book felt when they saw the movie. Did it got this fantasy-feeling into their hearts like Tolkien knew how to do?

BluestEye

C

Curufinwe

But don't fporget al you have to do to teach these people that they don't know much is mention stuff that they will not have reference too like tom bombadil or silomarillion.

Lorien

Registered
Reaction score
i tried that but the idiots just wont quit....:D
i mentioned all stuff about olorin and the istari but they thought that it was all a lie!!!!! and they thought that the only thing tolkien had ever written was the lotr.....:mad:

C

Curufinwe

We'll then beat em up and put fear in there hearts. Thats what I do. They said it was a three part but now they know, ohh yes now they know its a six part.

Thread suggestions