The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

This is very strange...

whos actually read this book?

• Total voters

Master of maps

Reaction score
Why hasn't anybody actually started a thread in this section yet???
has anybody even read the book yet?
if you havent, you should probibly get round to it soon, its pretty good. Nevertheless, im going to start a poll to find oout who's read the book, and maybe get some threads going in this section....

Gordis

Lady of the Ulairi
Reaction score
I have read the "Return of the Shadow" and not once. HOME 6-8 are my favorites, because they explain lots of things in LoTR, that otherwise are hard to grasp. The countless versions of the "Long-expected party" are, however, a bit boring.;)

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason there are no threads here is that the existing few that would fit in here have not been moved. All these sub-forums have been created fairly recently (relative to the existence of the forum as a whole); Personally, I never really saw the need for having a separate board for each of the HoME volumes.

As for the question at hand, I have read only parts of this book. I remember once setting out to read the whole thing from cover to cover, but lost interest precisely because of the numerous versions (which hardly contain any differences) of some chapters, such as the one mentioned by Gordis.

So I can't vote. :)

Barliman Butterbur

Worthy Keeper/Bree Roué
Reaction score
Why hasn't anybody actually started a thread in this section yet???
has anybody even read the book yet?
if you havent, you should probibly get round to it soon, its pretty good. Nevertheless, im going to start a poll to find oout who's read the book, and maybe get some threads going in this section....
??? Never heard of it...I think. What's it about? Oh. Never mind, I went on to Amazon and read some of the reviews. Now I see what it is; more stuff that Christopher's been fooling with, gathering it all into chronological order. I might buy a copy, but I'm not into reading drafts any more; I'd rather read what Tolkien chose as final.

This appears to be a book for Tolkien academics, researchers, and historians, yes (and those whose appetites for more and more juicy Tolkien nuggets and tidbits can never be slaked)? I used to be that way: rummaging around through old faded mansucripts in dim corners of library stacks, hoping to unearth heretofore-hidden primary sources! I understand the desire: I used to love to study the early drafts of music written by the greats to see and follow the creative process. Alas, there comes a time when one's time is limited and one must re-prioritize. I now leave all such to the still-frisky young bucks of academe... ;) :p

Barley

Last edited:

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
I've read it - but Trotter really freaked me out. I was half expecting him to drive to Rivendell in a yellow three-wheeled van...:eek:

Môrroch

Horse-lord of Rohan
Reaction score
I recently got a new (with slightly scuffed and torn plastic wrapping) "The History of The Lord of the Rings" set from Amazon at a very good price, and I'm about a third of the way through book 1 now.

I too, tend to skip over many of CT's notes and focus on the story fragments. The way the copy is formatted, with CT's notes in smaller type and JRRT's bits in larger type make it easier to pick through it.
So far, I find it interesting seeing how the story and characters were developed. Also, seeing the original names of the Hobbit characters is quite amusing (Bingo, Marmaduke, Drogo, etc.).
Like much of the writings resurrected by CT, it's not for the casual reader, but offers something for those who wish to delve deeper into the concept and development of the story.
It continues to amaze me, what an imagination Mr. Tolkien had! With all the things going on in his real life, he had time to dream up a complete new fantasy world.

Thread suggestions