🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Thranduil in the movies - did he meet your expectations?

Olorgando

Reaction score
Amazon's doing Second Age, so the Tolkien Trust seems to be keeping a firm thumb on the Sil - and CoH, B&L and FoG now carry new copyrights of 2007, 2017 and 2018.
But I just had this thought: how did Lee Pace manage to sneak this performance past PJ's knack for messing things up? Like I said about Gandalf by Sir Ian McKellen elsewhere, spot-on performance often despite PJ.

Miguel

Reaction score
Where this elves supposed to be wearing that kind of armor?. I thought they wore lighter ones, though maybe dwarves helped with that?. Anyway, yeah, i liked his performance very much but i did not have expectations since i haven't finnished TH yet. His ways seemed more Elda than Sinda at times, or overall.

thattolkienlady

Reaction score
I absolutely loved Lee Pace as Thranduil. The moment he was on screen I fell in love with him. He's cool, smooth-speaking, and really does embody what a 'real' elf should look like!
I agree-the LOTR and Hobbit movies are my favorites. Admittedly I have some pretty big "beefs" with some things that were done, BUT the casting and scenery was the finest I've seen. Thranduil was beautiful, as an elf should be!

Ithilethiel

Reaction score
I actually didn't like his portrayal. He was easy to look at but in the literature he isn't written as so heartless and cold. He led the elves in the The Battle of Five Armies being the first to charge the enemy, allied with the dwarves and Men of Dale against the Easterlings and had a sincere devotion to his people. I detested the way he was made to appear greedy and self-serving in the movie.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I actually didn't like his portrayal. He was easy to look at but in the literature he isn't written as so heartless and cold. He led the elves in the The Battle of Five Armies being the first to charge the enemy, allied with the dwarves and Men of Dale against the Easterlings and had a sincere devotion to his people. I detested the way he was made to appear greedy and self-serving in the movie.
Very very very true! And he made Bilbo Elf-Friend!

CL

Olorgando

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, maybe PJ was silently using stuff (or taking hints) from early depictions of the Elven King of the First Age with an underground royal abode, Lúthien's dad Elu Thingol (Finrod Felagund had Menegroth "The Thosand Caves" as a template to copy when he decided to found Nargothrond, as Menegroth had already been built - excavated - long before the rebellious Noldor returned to Middle-earth). Thingol gained in nobility immensely in the decades of writing from the Books of Lost Tales, though the greed factor, aggravated by the Silmaril of Beren and Lúthien set in the Nauglamir, is an early development. PJ loves to dump on the good side, as he has shown often enough ...

Last edited:

Phantom718

Reaction score
The Hobbit films had their issues, but I thought Thranduil was one of the bright spots. The casting of Lee Pace in that role was absolutely PERFECT and he truly owned it. He was very charismatic and mysterious and really had a strong presence on screen. He seemed cold and cruel but mostly because his heart was shattered and never healed after his wife's death. Knowing that, I thought Pace pulled that off brilliantly.

Olorgando

Reaction score
I could have taken him more seriously, if not for the "mount" PJ foisted on him. For me, it was "Here comes Thranduil, riding in on his -- oh, good grief!". It was down there with the "armored rhinos" in "300". :rolleyes:
Just took a look at Thranduil's entry into Dale (just after the people of Lake Town have taken shelter there). Erm, it seems to be an overly large reindeer (caribou in North America) with a bull moose's antlers. A bit low in the shoulder / back for a moose. As per Wikipedia (about the largest ones, the Alaskan subspecies): "The largest confirmed size for this species was a bull shot at the Yukon River in September 1897 that weighed 820 kg (1,808 lb) and measured 2.33 m (7.6 ft) high at the shoulder." Getting into the saddle of such a one would involve Legolas's jumping-on-the-horse-in full-gallop stunt from TTT. But on the serious side, such a brute (up there with the biggest shire horses and their relatives for weight) could be a serious war machine. Attacks by big bulls in Alaska / Canada have caused cancellation of commercial flights until the damage done by the antler thrust (the moose in question trotted away after having made his "point") could be repaired - often a matter of days rather hours.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Yeah yeah -- and traveling through Nova Scotia by rail as a boy, I learned that trains stopped for moose crossings. PJ wouldn't have let that stop him, as we can see from the resulting train wreck. I'm not even going to bring up the Dwarves and their -- but I said I wouldn't bring them up. 😣

Olorgando

Reaction score
Had something rattling about in dim dungeons of my memory, so I dropped in my cinematic version of BoFA - but there was only Dáin Ironfoot on his boar - and one from domesticated stock at that, not the wild tuskers that would be more formidable fighters (ask the odd wolf hanging around the Halls of Mandos, looking rather worse for wear) - though some domesticated breeds might be seriously heavier, their ability to move has probably been reduced to a slow waddle. And, before Elves and Dwarves have a go at each other, the were-worms and then the Orcs (and monstrous Trolls) appear. Slight confusion.
But then I remembered the EE, and that in TH, it was almost 100% PJ indulging in his little fantasies in the EEs, contrary to the LoTR ones, where he did give nods to the book nerds, though less and less with each film.
In went the EE DVD and presto! The Elves and Dwarves do have a go at each other, the Dwarven cavalry riding on - eh? - bighorn sheep, I would guess, without consulting my numerous books (multi-book lexicons) on critters. Billy goats would have been what they wanted if expecting Trolls - but against those Trolls that do show up would have needed Mûmakil-sized ones, at least "Great-Beast"-sized ones, to be believably effective. And then those utterly ridiculous "arrow-scatterers" that the Dwarves fire off to block the Elven arrow volleys, and even do some damage when hitting the ground. Even if my high school physics are very rusty, dating from 1971/1972, alarm bells went of shrilly and a big PA-system loudspeaker blared "snowball's chance in Angband that that would ever have worked!!!". A short check on Wikipedia confirms that those Dwarven weapons "only" violate Newton's three laws of motion, and also the three laws of thermodynamics (which have a longer history and more authors). We're not talking about the relativity theories or quantum theory of any kind. I think any figure skater of moderate skill would have had an 🤣 🤣 🤣 attack looking at those contraptions.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
You forget -- physics works "differently" in the PJ universe. Though to be fair, the same is true in cinema generally -- witness "leaping away from explosions", for instance.

Re BoFA: much hilarity ensued on game forums I frequent at the "leaping over the shieldwall" scene -- what was the point of that? You're taking away the very purpose of the formation. The only people likely to do something so suicidal were the half-mythical "berserkers", and it's doubtful they lived long.

That said, I knew a guy who actually had such an experience, of a sort. He was an Iron Age reenactor, and he and his little band once decided to go all-in on authenticity for a shieldwall event, by painting themselves with woad, which, besides looking cool, also acts as an antiseptic, and (unknown to them) anesthetic and stimulant (and possibly mild hallucinogen). He realized all this only later; at the time, he knew only that he was encumbered by his shield, so he threw it away, thinking "I'll just get one over here!" as he jumped over the opposing shieldwall, and stared whaling away with his quarterstaff. Needless to say, the "enemies" weren't having that.

"The next day, I was Robert the Bruise, but at the time, I didn't feel a thing. Had a great time, in fact".

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
You forget -- physics works "differently" in the PJ universe. Though to be fair, the same is true in cinema generally -- witness "leaping away from explosions", for instance.
One of my absolutely favorite shows in the early phase of my retirement was "MythBusters", hosted etc. by Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. Boy, did they shred tons of Hollywood Baloney Slices! This was in the time that, after my wife had gone to bed, I binge-watched one or the other documentary show on the smaller private TV channels in Germany. The binge watching was partially a necessity, as they binge-programmed! Several episodes at a time, not necessarily in the order of the originals - which could then get confusing. But filming documentaries can not be done on the daily soap schedule by any stretch of the imagination, so on the rare occasions I scroll through our TV's internal TV guide currently I almost always get a "seen that" feeling. The show originally titled "Medical Detectives", as it continues to be titled in the German TV channels airing it faithfully after midnight every day of the week, was another favorite (even my wife watched it when she had trouble falling asleep, even at times when I had finally gone to bed); it seems to now to be named "Forensic Files" in secondary, tertiary or whatever recycling.

Thread suggestions