🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Thranduil Meets His Match

Galin

Reaction score
Pace pronounces síla more correctly than Stephen.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Olorgando

Reaction score
As a German native speaker, let me make one thing perfectly clear (ouch! I'm channeling Richard Nixon!):
ä, ö and ü are regular umlauts. The Scandinavian languages do other strange things with their vowels (Turkish has quite a few umlauts, too).
But (MS character map to the rescue) "ë" looks like an extraterrestrial in any German sentence.

Galin

Reaction score
Aule does not need a diaeresis. SeS probably wanted one here to indicate that the final e isn't silent, considering the topic was about pronunciation.

(it's not really an umlaut in the sense of changing the sound of the vowel)

Olorgando

Reaction score
Aule does not need a diaeresis. SeS probably wanted one here to indicate that the final e isn't silent, considering the topic was about pronunciation.

(it's not really an umlaut in the sense of changing the sound of the vowel)
Correct. I thought Tolkien used one, but I appear to be mistaken.
Quick check in my copy of the Sil: clearly Aulë, and even in capitals AULË in the chapter title of chapter 2 of the Quenta Silmarillion.

I don't recall having ever seen ë or Ë anywhere except in JRRT's writings. In which language is this special letter used?
Is ë analog to é or è or ê in French?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
IIRC he said he used it to indicate that the letter was to be pronounced. Final E is usually silent in modern English. He also used it to show where two vowels were to be pronounced separately, rather than as as a diphthong.

Hmm. So it appears I was right after all.

Galin

Reaction score
Correct. I thought Tolkien used one, but I appear to be mistaken.
What I mean is that the diaeresis is not needed 'cause Aule sounds the same as Aulë. And there is no "diaeresis" in the Elvish writing systems.
With a word like síla however, it is proper to include the acute accent to mark the long vowel.

Of course, the pronunciation is "altered" if one doesn't pronounce final -e, so that's why I thought you wanted it above. Tolkien used the diaeresis often enough, as we know (Eärendil, Aulë), but not wholly consistently.

In any case I think it helps some readers, and confuses others.

Galin

Reaction score
I don't recall having ever seen ë or Ë anywhere except in JRRT's writings. In which language is this special letter used? Is ë analog to é or è or ê in French
In Tolkien's orthography the diaeresis marks a vowel "unsilent" (like final e in Aule), or marks vowels in "hiatus", like in the word coöperate.

So you don't say cooperate . . . unless talking to chickens while trying to cut out a syllable ;)

Last edited:

Thread suggestions