🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Threads should not be erased.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
But if they threads contain personal attacks on someone, or the thread is based on something that the forum would not look good with, then they should be deleted.

Imagine if you owned a shop and someone spray-painted on your window, "John Smith is stupid," you would erase it, right? You wouldn't want it to look like you support that statement, it would make you lose customers.

So, if visitors are offended by something that is said, then we'll lose visitors or members.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
The number of replies on a particular thread certainly affects how that thread will be dealt with, but if the thread has A) no point B) offensive content or C) degenerated into nothing but personal/belief attacks; it will be considered (and most likely) deleted.

The administration and its representative reserve the right to enforce the policies of the administration, of whom this site is the sole property of.

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
But there are some threads that are really old and haven't been active since this forum started the new version.

So that should be destroy
I agree with Beorn and Cir

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
Is it not possible to close threads to new replys and delete any unsavoury posts within that thread? That would be good for threads that at least started out with a serious point and contain many interesting posts. :confused:

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is, if a mod wants to delete a bunch of posts, they've gotta do it one at a time. The click the Edit button, Check Delete, Click Delete, and reload the page. Then they goto the next one....

King E: I think Gnashar was talking about threads that are active...

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
There is a way of deleting any number of posts on a thread of one time, but it is tricky, and if you aren't paying close attention, you may delete the wrong ones accidentally.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Ciryaher
The number of replies on a particular thread certainly affects how that thread will be dealt with, but if the thread has A) no point B) offensive content or C) degenerated into nothing but personal/belief attacks; it will be considered (and most likely) deleted.

The administration and its representative reserve the right to enforce the policies of the administration, of whom this site is the sole property of.

That is the way is should be.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Threads are deleted for a reason, usually because they are out-of-date, pointless, or offensive in content. As a moderator, I don't seek anyone's approval to remove a thread if it has no place in the forum. Therefore, concentrate on the ones that are active and forget those that have been removed. It's simple really.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Thank-you my dearest Daisy; once again you light up my day with your flattery. It is a known fact that Dragons crave flattery, I am no different.

daisy

Reaction score
Ever read The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch? - it could be about US!!!!:p

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
REPLY TO BEORN

BEORN: I understand completely what you are saying here but:
This is no shop. We are not paying anything to be here. I think that gives us a right to express any personal opinion. HOWEVER: I do agree that when there are personal attacks and vulgar expressions something has to be done. BUT: There is absolutely NO NEED for a whole thread to be erased. The moderators, I'm sure, could just erase the abusive message.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, you don't have any rights whatsoever.

The owner of this forum, Mr. A-P, and the head mod, RW, control entirely what you can and cannot do on this forum. Because of the fact that it is privately owned, WM and RW can set up their own rules, enforce their own rules, set themselves outside of the rules, or even delete something because they feel like it.

Even though they don't do the last two, they do set up their own rules, which means that if they feel that some rules are being violated, they can solve the problem in any way they feel like.

Because we don't pay for services, we don't need to be given the ability to help in the creation of rules, the ability to enforce them, or the ability to fight against them.

In essence, this could be a forum where we're not allowed to speak outside of the opinions of everyone else. But, it's not like that because then there would be next to no people here!

Anduril

Nil desperandum!
Reaction score
I think that we can shape things in two ways...doing this as a crucible of ideas and opinions, or a market with a lot of nonsense themes or topics...
If we're referring to the definition of "Forum" (as this site is called):

Forum \Fo"rum\, n.; pl. E. Forums, L. Fora. [L.; akin to
foris, foras, out of doors. See Foreign.]
1. A market place or public place in Rome, where causes were
judicially tried, and orations delivered to the people.

2. A tribunal; a court; an assembly empowered to hear and
decide causes.

He [Lord Camden] was . . . more eminent in the
senate than in the forum.

Or even better:

forum
n 1: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
2: a public place to meet for open discussion [syn: assembly,
meeting place]
3: a place of assembly for the people in ancient Greece [syn: agora,
public square]

I liked the last two...

I attached this site to my browser with the spirit of learning about a great common theme: Tolkien (I have to recognize that I'm not a native speaker, so, "forgive my occasional lapsus in french", but I also recognize that we must hear different opinions based in different experiences and cultures, that's why managing a site like this is complicated (the mods have to equilibrate wisdom and tolerance); I think that we must appeal our good sense and taste of things, because every decsion taken here, affect the most of us.
I support the points expressed for Beorn...

;)

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Thank you Anduril for your insightful post. I haven't jumped into the fray on this thread because I wanted to see where it would go first. After a little development, Mike B er I mean Beorn has pointed out the most important thing, this website is a free offering to the public by the WebMaster. The Moderators are volunteers who take time out of their own lives to help this forum be what it is. That is a place where people who love Tolkien may go and learn and commune with others of like minds.

If anyone thinks that a moderator simply deletes a very long thread without thought, then they are wrong. We have many tools that the forum public doesn't know about at our disposal to handle problem posts and problem threads. We may quarantine the thread and "clean it up" as has been suggested, we may make other changes or we may simply make it disappear. We don't ask for a vote, sometimes we don't even consult with the other moderators, sometimes we just delete it. It you feel a thread is deleted without reason, your recourse is to PM either WebMaster or ReadWryt and complain to them.

I, like Ancalagon, do not seek anyone's approval to take corrective action in a thread. My job is to see that rules are enforced and the forum runs smoothly and that is what I will do.

Anduril

Nil desperandum!
Reaction score
Hey..thanks Grond for reading my "little" text...

I think, like others here, that your labor is very important for the good performance of a site like this...even if you're a "nebulous" entities outside the web...

Thanks for keeping in touch, wherever you are...

:D

daisy

Reaction score
Stating the obvious

But Grond actually IS Mr. Big Man, so what's your point?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Treebeard
So, Grond, I bet having the power to delete whatever you want makes you feel llike Mr. Big Man...just kidding, I don't care.
Treebeard, you will not likely find a more amicable person than the Grondster. I don't really like conflict but have strong convictions. The measure of character is knowing when and how to use power. Having a button to delete a post doesn't rate very high on the power index.

Actually, since being appointed a moderator, I have deleted one whole thread and it was a thread that was accidentally started. Someone hit the New Thread button instead of the Quote button. I advised them of their error and directed them to copy the post to the correct thread before I deleted it.

I do not see this as a big issue. We rarely delete threads unless they are three or four months old and haven't been posted to in a few months. Mass deletions of this nature are done by Webmaster and ReadWryt so us lowly Moderators are not really involved in those descisions. Primarily, our job is to make sure the forum runs smoothly. My quote about deleting posts simply reflects that I will do whatever I feel necessary to keep the forum running smoothly and conflict free.

Thread suggestions