What's new
The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Time of Balins death and Moria

Foolofatook420

Reaction score
When do you think moria was taken over?Could it have been happening at the end of the hobbit?

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Gandalf first met up with Bilbo in 2941 T.A. In 2989, Balin lead the dwarves to try and reclaim Moria. It was successful at first, killing a ton of orcs but they were finally defeated by the orcs again in 2994. So it was around 48 years after the events of the Hobbit that the Balin campaign began. Welcome to TTF!

Foolofatook420

Reaction score
Who’s the narrator

Gandalf first met up with Bilbo in 2941 T.A. In 2989, Balin lead the dwarves to try and reclaim Moria. It was successful at first, killing a ton of orcs but they were finally defeated by the orcs again in 2994. So it was around 48 years after the events of the Hobbit that the Balin campaign began. Welcome to TTF!
Are you a Tolkien scholar?

They should have a movie about dwarves

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Who’s the narrator

Are you a Tolkien scholar?

They should have a movie about dwarves
Definitely not a scholar, just an avid fan. We do have quite a few members who are much more knowledgeable than me. LOTR and The Hobbit come from the Red Book of Westmarch, which was written by Bilbo and later Frodo.

Foolofatook420

Reaction score
Just got to the end of moria. And I like how they start lothlorien with Aragorn remarking that he EXPLICITY told Gandalf that he did not want to go through Moria. I think this is a great example of Gandalf making executive decisions that do more harm than good. The other ones I cite are seeking saurmons council instead of traveling with the hobbits. And overall that he is convinced that he has the power to resist the one ring. Which he definitely acknowledges he doesn’t. He knows he would be corrupted. But he is afforded too much influence over what will ultimately become of the ring. All the while making errors in judgment. Maybe it’s interesting to think if Saurmon were the one who visits the shire and decides the ring should be destroyed he would have had more effective strategies.

Bad judgment by Gandalf here. No debating that. “Did I not say to you...if you pass the doors of Moria beware?”

I’m just sayin...Gandalf. Where ya at

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
As I understand it, if you look into the Mirrormere at the right time, you will see your reflection along with a reflection of stars making it look like you are wearing a crown.

Miguel

Reaction score
What do you mean with this picture a random view??? :)
17 Valian years before Almaren's destruction. Trying new shapes and forms before infiltrating Almaren. It's not in the books but i often wonder about those early days in Arda.

Last edited:

Belthil

Reaction score
17 Valian years before Almaren's destruction. Trying new shapes and forms before infiltrating Almaren. It's not in the books but i often wonder about those early days in Arda.
ah ok I see, like I do... :)