What's new
The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

~Tolkien Trivia Game~

Belthil

Reaction score
In the book it's vaitya
But how I can see have the names chabged a bit
Maybe this is an explanation:

Vaiya or vaia (from earlier waiya, waia) means "fold, envelope".[4] It derives from the root WAY- 'enfold'.[5]

In the earlier Book of Lost Tales, the early Qenya forms Vai and Vatya are derived from the root vaya- "enfold".[4] From that root are derived the Gnomishforms Bai and Baithon "the outer airs".[6]

Before the writing of the Lord of the Rings, Waiya > Vaiya was the name of the Tengwa that would appear as Vala in Appendix E.[7]

Miguel

Reaction score
Maybe this is an explanation:

Vaiya or vaia (from earlier waiya, waia) means "fold, envelope".[4] It derives from the root WAY- 'enfold'.[5]

In the earlier Book of Lost Tales, the early Qenya forms Vai and Vatya are derived from the root vaya- "enfold".[4] From that root are derived the Gnomishforms Bai and Baithon "the outer airs".[6]

Before the writing of the Lord of the Rings, Waiya > Vaiya was the name of the Tengwa that would appear as Vala in Appendix E.[7]
Curiously enough, the word "Valla" means "fence/hurdle" in Castilian.

Belthil

Reaction score
The place is Cirith Thoronath and the good brave fellow is Laurefindil!.
I agree! :)

It was at that time that a balrog and a contingent of orcs ambushed their company. Glorfindel there accomplished his greatest deed, for he saved the lives of Tuor, Idril, and all the company when he defied the balrog. They fought long. According to The Fall of Gondolin Glorfindel stabbed it in the belly, but as the balrog fell it reached out and grabbed his long golden hair, pulling him back down over the edge of the cliff. He perished in the fall, but his body was borne up by Thorondor, and buried him with a mound of stones in the pass. On that mound grew yellow flowers (possibly celandine), despite its remote location.

Romendacil I

Reaction score
The place is Cirith Thoronath and the good brave fellow is Laurefindil!.
I agree! :)

It was at that time that a balrog and a contingent of orcs ambushed their company. Glorfindel there accomplished his greatest deed, for he saved the lives of Tuor, Idril, and all the company when he defied the balrog. They fought long. According to The Fall of Gondolin Glorfindel stabbed it in the belly, but as the balrog fell it reached out and grabbed his long golden hair, pulling him back down over the edge of the cliff. He perished in the fall, but his body was borne up by Thorondor, and buried him with a mound of stones in the pass. On that mound grew yellow flowers (possibly celandine), despite its remote location.
Yes that's it!:)

Belthil

Reaction score
A new one :)

"I was the last, numer seven, guarding,
six to begin with, they were learning…

I saw Gold and Silver to my back,
precious metals I lack…

After me there it lay,
but for eternity it was not to stay…

Some suggest the betrayer was my maker sore,
ah, never mind, it does not matter any more…"