🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Toughest girl on the block

Who is the strongest female of Middle Earth...

• Luthien

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Arwen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galadriel

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Eowyn

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
I had started a poll earlier asking who was the most beautiful woman or elf maiden in ME history. I got some messages attacking it for being sexist, so I decided to ask this question of all of you. Who of all the following is the toughest nut to crack among the females of Middle earth. Who is the greatest threat to Morgoth/Sauron. Or who is the most skilled in the deadly arts, or who would win if they all got into one large messy catfight. Interpret it as you want. This is also partially in response to those who say that Tolkien downplays the role of women.

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
Its has to be Luthien!
Why?
Eowyn's a great woman but has a an infactuation for Aragorn and confuses it with love, and although she punch up the witch king of Angmar she herself got punch up i.e. her arm was broken.
But i got lots a love for Eowyn

Galadriel is probably one of the strongest in magic and mind of elvish race during the third age due to the fact that she dewelt in Valinor during the time of the trees and the light of them can probably can be seen in her eyes.
but she only just resisted the temptation of the ring of Sauron and she herself with Celeborn and shadowfax could not attack Mordor and punch up Sauron straight on nor even attack Uttumno and punch up Melkor!

Arwen, well all we know is that she is a decendant of Luthien and she sifts between Lothlorien and Rivendell looking pretty. I dont think Arwen and Aragorn with shadow fax could punch up Sauron let alone Melkor!

Now Luthien now escapes from her Fathers kingdom and rescues her lover Beren from the pits of Melkor and punches Melkor so hard he drops to the ground in just round one (well she does it in her own way!).
Luthien is half Maia and half Elf, i mean what more could one want, she has almost the best of both worlds and in my personal opinon she has to the greatest female ever to grace Arda and all the rest are just unintentional mockeries of her in the most possitive way possible!
Just her dancing can leave ur mind in a trance like her mothers.
What do u think Hama?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
There were only two males who ever stood before Melkor in direct conflict and neither took him off his feet. One was Beren and the other Fingolfin.

There was only one female who ever stood before Melkor in direct conflict and she caused him to slump to the floor. Her name was Luthien. :)

menchu

Reaction score
I am hesitating between Lúthien and Eowyn, cause I consider both used "what they had" in the best way they found. I mean, Lúthien being half Maia, half Elf, knew how to get the right "answer" from her magic powers, her dancing skills and her mind; while Eowyn, being a woman and having "less power", also did her utmost from her physical strength, her mind (she wasn't recognized when dressed as a rider) and her resolution.

So... I suppose I won't vote if it can be double. :)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Eowyn. The other three are elves.:D

If referring to female character, I'd say Luthien. The trouble she went through......

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by DGoeij
Eowyn. The other three are elves.:D

If referring to female character, I'd say Luthien. The trouble she went through......

Luthein followed closely by Galadriel
I think it said in powerfullness behind feanor it was galadriel?? And Luthein was half maia i think that is a little unfair since maia are sort of like semi-gods. But galadriel was the most ppowerful elf during 2nd, 3rd and after fingolfin fell in those ages. Although luthein sort of cancels out elf-maia????

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Luthien .. no doubt I liked what Grond said she was the only (except Tulkas of course :) ) that stood before melkor and defeat him..
She was very brave!!!

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Camille
Luthien .. no doubt I liked what Grond said she was the only (except Tulkas of course :) ) that stood before melkor and defeat him..
She was very brave!!!

yes what she did with beren and huan was a great acheivement and should be praised but she was half maia even though she had the most power my vote goes to Galadriel.

baraka

Elven Craftsmen
Reaction score
Definitely Luthien. She in a way defeated Melkor. Grond you were there what happened?:confused:

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
After much consideration, I would have to conclude that the argument clearly goes in Luthien's favor. She goes to show that one's capability in arms is not always a measure of strenght. Galadriel would be second. After all she is ranked second after Feanor among the Noldor. Eowyn, although not elven, I would rank third over Arwen. After all, Arwen plays no active role in the war, but is more of a supporter. Eowyn did kill the nazgul lord. I wonder, if things had ever come to a head between Arwen and Eowyn over Aragorn, if anything would have happened. I think Arwen beat Eowyn head-to-head. She had a lot of potential power like her grandmother but never was able to show it. She would show that mortal woman who she was. So perhaps I would place them tied.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hama
After much consideration, I would have to conclude that the argument clearly goes in Luthien's favor. She goes to show that one's capability in arms is not always a measure of strenght. Galadriel would be second. After all she is ranked second after Feanor among the Noldor. Eowyn, although not elven, I would rank third over Arwen. After all, Arwen plays no active role in the war, but is more of a supporter. Eowyn did kill the nazgul lord. I wonder, if things had ever come to a head between Arwen and Eowyn over Aragorn, if anything would have happened. I think Arwen beat Eowyn head-to-head. She had a lot of potential power like her grandmother but never was able to show it. She would show that mortal woman who she was. So perhaps I would place them tied.

This is what i would have

1 Luthien
2 Galadriel
3 Arwen (she is elven and comes from the race of luthien)(half elven)
4 Eowyn had a go at the nazgulk but nearly lost her life.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
Thought about adding her...did I was thinking more about the enemies of Melkor.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Varda is the best of all, again not listed. She made all of the stars, very underrated.

Luthien is absolutely amazing. She makes Morgoth and basically everything in hell go to sleep. She makes Mandos get all emotional. She is arguably the greatest being in all of JRRT's works.

I agree with the power that Eowyn had, she did a great job, and was very brave.

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
If Ungoliant is in there, then shouldn't Melian be in there as well? I mean, she did held Morgoth out of Doriath with her girdle. Isn't that slightly impressive. What about Varda, Yavanna, etc. for that matter. They were all strong female characters that Tolkien wrote about. Not to mention Haleth from the Silmarillion, the leader of an entire race of men, and a strong independent woman along the line of Janet Reno.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
I did not include the races of the Valar and Maiar - only elvenmaidens and women, and those who played reasonably active roles in the wars against the dark powers. Which is why you do not see Ungoliant, Varda, Yavanna or Melian. Imagine Eowyn taking on Ungoliant? Or even Varda taking on Arwen? You cannot compare the two.

Thread suggestions