🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Town on the Isen

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
on the borderline of insanity and madness
All the elves have left Middle-Earth. Almost all dwarves have died out. Hobbits mainly keep to themselves. The dominion of Men has arrived. A well-known civilisation called the Rohirrim are looking at building a new town along the banks of the river Isen. But first, they must ask permission from Gondor to use Isengard and the tower of Orthanc. This new town will provide defense on the Gap of Rohan, and act as a semi-customs, in that visitors must clear themselves before proceeding. A government must be chosen for this new town, who will choose a name for the new town, how the buildings are made and decisions affecting how the town is run. They must also constantly communicate with the King of Rohan. These few people will also have to travel to Gondor for the Keys to Isengard.
The elections are yet to take place. Nominations have only just opened, but close in a few weeks' time.
____________________________________________________________​
To start with, characters will go for election, then the story will unravel. Any questions, just PM me, and lets begin...

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
Greolman walked up the stairs of Meduseld, and was permitted to enter by the door guard. Continuing his walk, Greolman knelt before King Leomund and said, "your majesty, I wish to nominate myself for one of the governmental positions. I have skills in building, and believe I could do a decent job."
"And you will apply yourself to any job I ask of you?" the King asked.
"Yes."
"Then I accept your nomination. Now you must prepare, in case you are chosen. You will be leaving in 14 days for Gondor if all goes well." King Leomund concluded.
Rising, Greolman stood up and bowed low, before turning and striding out of the Golden Hall. He then continued on to his shack, where he started collecting up his few possessions.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Majimaune was waiting for Greolman to come ou t from seeing the king. He was egar for him to get to go to Gondor because that meant that Majimaune did to, as a guard of some sort.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
After several days' ride, Lingar has come to see the king, hoping to take the place of military commander of the new town. He leaves his horse in the stable, and proceeds on to Meduseld, entering quickly. He strides up to King Leomund, and kneels down.
"I suppose you wish to be a part of this new town?" King Leomund asked.
"Yes. I was hoping to run for military advisor," Lingar responded.
"Well your father is a fine fighter. Hopefully it carries through the family. I accept your nomination," the king concluded.
Lingar walked out, and looked around at the hills of Rohan. Staggering down a nearby hill was a familiar shape. Lingar ran down and continued on, to find he was right and that it was Frynyir. She was gasping for breath, and could hardly talk. Lingar told her to save her energy, and picked her up. He carried his love back into Edoras, and took her straight to a healer. The healer said the only thing needed was water and some food.
Frynyir recieved the water and food well, and immediately sat up. "Lingar," she said. "I knew I could make it. I followed you each day and night, on foot. I was hoping to apply for a position at the new town.
"Well why didn't you ask me to take you?" Lingar asked. "I would only have been too happy."
"Because I was afraid of your father, and what he would do if he found out you had brought me."
"I think it's time I spoke to him about you. He is here you know, right in this city."
"Let me see the king first. That way, he may be happier for us to wed," Frynyir said.
"As you wish. Now, I will take you back in the morning, so I suggest you seek councel with King Leomund first thing in the morning." With that, the pair walked out, Frynyir heading to the nearest inn to find a room, Lingar off to his father's house.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Mappalif was trying to find Lingar to find out if he would be going to the new town as well. Majimaune his father was going as a military personel and that meant that he would go as well. Although some 10 years or more younger then Lingar they had a strong friendship and when he met Frynyir he was more then happy to support them into getting married.

Majimaune waited for days with Greolman for the decision to be made whether they would go to Gondor to ask for the keys to Orthank.

Last edited:

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Mappalif found Lingar and Frynyir together. They where talking quietly and Mappalif deemed it importent so he went away. He thought about going to see the King's son Leoman and talk to him. when he found him they went riding. While they rode the talked about plans of what could happen and who would govern the new town.
"Greolman will get to lead the town," said Leoman.
"Are you so sure? I thought of Amana but he is sometimes cruel and might not lead too well."
"Aye and for Military advisor, who do you think."
"Not my father because he doesnt want it. But I'm not sure."

Sangahyando

descendant of Castamir
Reaction score
Ocato accompanied his father Martin down to the marbled house. The clouds licked the blue skies and Ocato resumed his current work. A rose-gold lock for his home's front mahogany door. The Matius household was built from white marble and set in a depression just south of the turn off of the Isen river.

"Difficult business this," Ocato mumbled before looking aroung the workshop.

"Father, who do you suppose will run for town governor? I think that I may run as representative to the Dunedain king."

Martin scrambled down into the doorframe and looked into Ocato's eyes. "Personally, I think my friend, Savlian might run for that post, he lives up at Edoras and may like the idea of being in charge."

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
All citizens that lived there had been called to the town of Edoras for a meeting. Similar meetings were taking place all over the region. King Leomund was making an address concerning the Town.
"The time has almost come for you to choose who should be in charge at this new town. We need a military advisor, town advisor, buildings advisor and supplies advisor. The militarian will live in the town and be in charge of the defenses, and will need to make constant reports to Edoras. The town advisor will constantly come and go between here and there, asking for advice and will be my personal assistant to the town. The buildings advisor will be in charge of establishing the new site, and although they may not be needed for long, they will have the largest job to begin with. Finally, the supplies advisor will have to ensure there is enough food and water being supplied to the citizens.
"There are just 3 days left for anyone wishing to nominate. On the fourth day, you will vote for one person for each role. That will be discussed further on the day." After this, the king walked back into his Golden Hall, and the People began muttering amongst themselves, as to whether or not they should apply, or if someone they knew closely was running for a position.
Frynyir waited until everyone had left before walking up the stairs and entering Meduseld. She continued on all the way up to the throne, and knelt down. She opened her mouth and said, "Your majesty, I wish to be the supply advisor."
King Leomund said, "I accept your nomination."
Frynyir stood up and walked off to find Lingar to tell him the news.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
OOC: Guys just a thing here Majimaune has already been made cheif guard (call it what you will) but is not military advisor. He is the only person who actully knows who he is in this new town. And whats the town going to be called.
Key: Mappalif= White Hermana= Blue Majimaune= Green

IC: Three more days. That was all the talk in Edoras, Then they would find out who would be leading all the people to the new town. Mappalif was spending as much time with his friends that where not going to the new town as possible. It was good because it got him out of his mothers way while she was getting everything ready for the journey.

Hermana was Majimaune's wife. She was very busy with this going to the new town thing. They had been living in Edoras their whole life and so had their ancestors, in the same house as well. There where a lot of this to take and she wasnt sure if they had enough horses.

Majimaune was leaving the company of the third marshell of the Mark and going to the new town. His last ride with them was to be against some raiding orks that had ventured to close to Fangorn Forest.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
"Only one day remains, my love," Lingar said. "As far as I know only me and you have gone for a position."

Frynyir thought for a moment. "In that case, we will almost certainly go together. Perhaps then your father will let us marry, for I will be more respectable."

"Well he is growing older. When he realises that I am growing old too and have not looked for anyone else, maybe he will decide that we were right," Lingar said.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Mappalif went into Meduseld. " I have come to apply for Town Advisor," he said. "You are a bit young but your nomination is accepted."

Mappalif went back home.

Majimaune was back from fighting with the orks. It was a short fight and no lives where lost on the part of the Rohirim.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
With nominations closed, the King was making an announcement.

"As only one person has nominated themselves for each position, there is no need for voting. So I now ask the following to come and stand up here next to me. Lingar son of Louger, Marshal of the Third Mark is military advisor. Mappalif son of Majimaune is Town Advisor. Greolman is the building advisor and Frynyir is Supplies Advisor. I now ask each of them to repeat after me and be sworn in.

I swear, by the witnesses here before me today, that I will fulfill my duties and act responsibly. I am responsible for my actions, and will bear full punishment for any misbehaviour. I understand that this job is an honour and a privilege, yet not a right, and that at any time I can be removed from the position."

Everyone repeated the oath, and the townsfolk cheered, then began to file out of the doors of Meduseld. The King and four advisors stayed behind, as they had much to discuss.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Mappalif was amazed that they only people who had nominated themselves. He was a bit hesitant to say the vow. As he was the youngest there and yet as most people saw it, the one with the most power. He hoped his father would help him lots.

Majimaune couldnt believe it when his son had Town Advisor. He was only 25. He wasnt sure if he could handle it. But then again his son had always been selfles and could be a good leader.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
King Leomund was looking at each of the people in front of him. Yes, he thought. This group will work well. I am positive they won't let me down.

"Well, congratulations to you all," the king said, "if I do say so myself. Although you were not voted in, I am sure everyone believes you will do a good job. Now, we have a bit of time before you leave, so I will brief you on what will happen, first as a group then as individuals.

"Now, tomorrow morning you will leave for Minas Tirith, so you must say your goodbyes tonight, as you will be rising early and coming straight here to Meduseld. I will be sending someone to come and wake you when you are needed, so do not stress over that.

"First of all, I have this scroll, which bears my favour and stamp, which you can use to show to the Gondorian king, King Eltaraion. Then, if all goes well, he will give you the keys to Orthanc. The first person to speak must be Mappalif, then anyone who the king addresses. Now, Mappalif, take this scroll. I entrust it to your safe-keeping. It has to safely arrive at Minas Tirith, and I believe you will keep it secure?"

"Yes, your majesty," Mappalif answered.

"Good, good. Now, once you have the keys to Orthanc or something that will allow us to enter, bring it straight back here and we will discuss what will happen next.

"I think that is all, for now, save for two small things. As the founders of this new town, I believe it shall fall upon you to decide on a name for this new dwelling. Not now, but in the time you have journeying to Gondor and back. Now finally, I have horses prepared for you, but if you wish to ride your own, then you will need to go by the stables and have your things transferred to your horse. I think that is all, so quickly decide in which order I will speak to you."

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
They sorted it out among themselves who would go first and everybody thought Mappalif should so he went in to speek to the king by himself.
"You have taken on a great burden by taking up this possition in the town" said the king.
"I know. It was... well I'm not sure what made me do it," said Mappalif.
"You will lead the people well, I know it. By taking on this burden you have made it yours and your heirs job to govern this town. In drought or time of war you must rule well and not be greedy. That will be your downfall."

Majimaune was ready to go to Gondor with the people of the new town but first he must talk to King Leomund. When all the "leaders" of the new town had finished talking with Leomund he went into the Golden Hall. He bowed before the king and said "Do you think that they will get the key of Orthank?" The king replied but sounded unsure.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
King Leomund looked at Majimaune. "Majimaune, I know how attatched you are to your son, but times are not as dangerous as they once were. I do not think you need to go. Louger may have need of you soon, so I think you should return back and await his new orders. The Third Mark has an important job coming up, and I don't think you are going to want to miss out. So say goodbye to Mappalif, and return to your post."

Majimaune looked at the king, and nodded. "Do you want me to send the next one in, your majesty?"

"If you don't mind," King Leomund replied.

Majimaune walked out, and told Lingar to go in.

Lingar walked in and walked up to the king. "Your highness," he said.

"Lingar, as military advisor, I expect you to demonstrate strong fighting ability. That includes defending the four of you on your journey to Gondor."

"As you wish," Lingar said. "Is that all?"

"Yes. And can you send whoever's next in please?"

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
Frynyir was next, and she walked up to the king, who invited her to sit down. She sat, and stared at her surroundings. This is...kingly she thought. Fit for a king.

"Frynyir, isn't it? You are supplies advisor, so you will not have much to do on this journey, but when you return, you will find yourself having much to do. We will speak more when you return, but for now, I just want you to bond with the others and manage your own supplies. If you can't even do that, then I fail to see how you can organise a whole village's worth. Now, as I said, I will expand more on your return, and that is it for now. Congratulations on your success, and you can go, so long as you send in Greolman," King Leomund said.

"Yes your highness," Frynyir replied, before walking out. Now I just have to find Lingar...

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
Strolling up to King Leomund, Greolman was looking at the design of Meduseld. I suppose this is a good chance for me to form my own ideas on building structure. I'll get to have a look at Minas Tirith too, which will be useful.

"Greolman, you have nothing to do until you return except for one small task. Start your own plan for this new town, and when you are back here in Edoras, I will ask you to draw it up. So just enjoy the experience of going to Gondor for now, and start imagining. Well done, on your appointment, too," King Leomund said. "Now you were the last one, so go and find the others. I expect you have much to discuss with them."

"Yes, sire," Greolman said. He turned, exited through the doors and walked off towards the stables, as he supposed that was a good place to begin his search.

Noldor_returned

Reaction score
Lingar had briefly gone to the stables to arrange for his own horse to be used, and once that was sorted, he went to see Louger, his father. He arrived at the room which was set aside for the Marshal of the Third Mark, and knocked twice before entering. Louger was packing his travelling gear, and turned to look at Lingar.

"My son," he began. "Splendidly done. You are keeping up the family name."

"Thankyou, father. I came to talk to you about Frynyir."

Louger stiffened. "Hmmm. You already know my views of that cow-herder."

"And I told you I love her, and there will be no one else ever for me. And you said until she made something of herself, you forbade me to wed her. Well now she is supplies advisor for a whole town. I would say that's something, wouldn't you!" Lingar yelled.

"Well if you want to disgrace yourself, fine! I don't know why you like her so much, but if you marry her, then I will refuse to recognise you as my son!"

"Then that is your choice, and not mine, father," Lingar said. "Farewell," he finished, walking out, only to find Frynyir kneeling and sobbing. "How much did you hear?"

Frynyir looked up. "All of it. I'm sorry to have come between you and Louger like this," she said.

"Forget it. He just doesn't know you like I do. Foolish old man, that he is. Now come, and we must seek Mappalif."

Together, the two walked around, calling out for Mappalif, and found him with his father Majimaune.

"Greetings," Majimaune said. "Do you know where your father is Lingar? I wish to speak with him."

"Louger is in his room," Lingar answered.

"Thankyou," Majimaune said, and walked off.

"Mappalif, I am glad you made it as well. I guess we better try to find Greolman, and get to know him before we go," Lingar suggested. Together, the trio walked off, looking for Greolman.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
When the trio of friends walked past the stables Mappalif muttered something about wanting to ride his own horse to Gondor, so they went in. Mappalif's horse was called Steltrum (OOC it you want to know where I got that name from its Latin. A couple of words together) IC: She was a great horse, all black but with a white star on her forehead. When in the sun she was a aray of colours (and no thats not a typo for you american folks). He aranged for her to be saddled for the ride to Gondor. Then they went to find Greolman again

Majimaune went into Luonger's house. He wanted to know what had come up.

Thread suggestions