🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Translation

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Hello How are you, I was wondering if someone can translate or say to me what
"A Elbereth Giltoniel" (I know the second is not right sorry!!;) ) means, it is a place, is someone, ??? In the Fellowship, Bilbo makes a poem about Earendel, and there he says something about Elbereth as a person or a beeing, it seams to have a great power over the evildoers (nazgul, spiders) but I havent read the Silmarilion may there I willd find out, but I would like to know now :D
Thanks

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Hullo. A Elbereth Gilthoniel means "O Elbereth Starkindler" (past tense "having kindled").

Elbereth is a Sindarin name for Varda, a revered being you'll find more about later :) It means "Starqueen, Star-lady" (bereth meant "spouse", used of the spouse of a King, thus "Queen")

Diabless

Reaction score
Cian,
I am very curious on how you learned Sindarin and Quenya. You obviously read The Silmalarion and LOTR. Did you study it on purpose from a book or the web. Did someone personally teach you. Did you take a class. Have you been to Middle Earth or spent some time there. Are you one of the Men of Gondor's descandents?

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
Thanks Cian I was reading the Fellowship last night (again) and There I found in Galadriel good bye song to the Fellowship that Elbereth was Varda, but gilthoniel was a mistery for me thanks a lot

V

vivi

go to Ardalambion! It helps a lot! There is a full anylysis of the chant to the Star-queen. Each word is extensively analysed and explained!

Anar kaluva tyelianna!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
OK, let's see (I can't find my Quenya-English dictionary):
[the] Sun will shine --gift. What is tyeli?? Silver, perhaps? No..
Ah well. :)
I use a book called An Introduction to Elvish, check it out.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
That's spelled wrong by vivi, Ponti ~ tielyanna rather.

elenya

the crazy one
Reaction score
Maybe you guys could help me! What's 'mithro' mean? It's apparently the root word for my elven name and I would quite like to know what it means.

Thanks!

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I'm not all that earned in the Elvish languages, but I know that mith means 'grey' in Sindarin. Cf. 'Mithrandir', 'Grey Wanderer'.
-wen means 'woman' or 'lady'. -iel is a female name suffix, as opposed to -ion, the male name suffix.
Right Cian? :D

Thread suggestions