🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

TTF Debate Tournament - UNOFFICIAL Rules Draft

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by ithrynluin
Not at the expense of tiring the debators and the judges with needless and countless little rules and restrictions.
Yes,you are right in a way.It shouldn't be at the expense of tiring the debators and the judges with too much little rules,but we still need them.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
There already is a sufficient outline and some bigger changes to the rules have already been implemented.

Confusticated

Reaction score
Originally posted by ithrynluin
Not at the expense of tiring the debators and the judges with needless and countless little rules and restrictions.
Right!

No matter what or where - the less rules the better!

I mean, now all the sudden it is against the rule to post your opinion of a debate before all judges post?

Because why!?

I already said that 4 out of 5 judges will end up posting after another opinion has been posted (one of them after 4! can you believe?), so what does it matter if the opinions of non-judges have been posted as well?

Because doing so may look like an attempt to sway the judges? If you think they can be swayed then you do not trust their abilities to judge... even putting up a thousand rules would not change the judges ability, or your trust in them..

Why make things so complicated.

People get rule-hungry and it never stops... more and more rules that really don't do any good!

Don't do any good because cheating can be done if someone really wants to do it... and minor problems will arise no matter what, and situations unforeseen come up regardless of rules.

One the one hand, we have to trust, or least agree to abide by the decisions of others in this thing, and yet tons of rules be made to supposedly lessen the chances of dishonesty?

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
I think that the Rules as they are now are fine.

no one has stepped over the line so far and I hope that we never have to deal with penilties and such

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Exactly... the rules only give the Host the maneuver room to punish someone if this someone, in fact, steps over the line. Without the rules, what can one do when it happens? Shrug, only. Cry foul. But without penalties, it is moot.

I was not thinking about "cheating", I was thinking about "undesirable attitudes" when I wrote that. Believe me, we have seen them. I, for one, think that if these rules were in effect both the GoT and the Periaur would have been penalized in their debate, though no one "cheated".

And I think that if the rules were in effect we would have seen less of these undesirable attitudes, or even not see them at all.

The rules are supposed to be never used. We all hope for that.

Confusticated

Reaction score
Eriol the rule stands now as this:
c) No posts in the debating thread shall be made in an attempt to influence the judges, either by the debating members or by other members of any Guild; the Judging thread shall be a place in which opinions are set out as simply as possible, and only the Judges shall expound on their reasons for a vote;

That means that only judges can give their reasons for their choice of who won. This means no one else can post their reasons. That is wrong.

If I give my opinion on the Manwe and the Finrod/Turgon debate, even after the judges have posted, I would be breaking the rule as it stands now.

Elendil3119

Reaction score
I agree with Nóm. Independant observers should be able not only to say who they thought won, but also to expound on their "vote", in the Judging thread. What is the point of someone being able to state their opinion without being able to expound on it?!

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nóm
If I give my opinion on the Manwe and the Finrod/Turgon debate, even after the judges have posted, I would be breaking the rule as it stands now.
Er... that's obviously a stupid rule. You're right, at least after the debate is over it should be allowed to voice a considered opinion.

As for opinions before it is over, once again, I have no strong opinion.

(I never used the word "opinion" so many times in a post :D).

Can the other Guilds voice something about it? I'll open a thread to deal specifically with it, so that the Guilds will have to actually say something!

Chymaera

Doorwarden
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with non-judge judgements.

We are going to have rookie judges along with rookie debaters.
(NOT that I am some kind of pro;))

People learn from experience and example.

So give them examples

----

The host shouldn't open the judging thread before the end of the debate.

Sometimes this is unavoidable and then courtesy comes into force.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
After the end of Round 3, and before the beginning of Round 4, I will post the Official Rules to the Schedule/Scoring thread. This thread will hopefully be sent to the Archives.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Bored? Me?

I'm very hard to bore...

:D

I'll just keep on minding my own business. Or did you think I was elected to this job? Hopefully that Appeals Committee will get into action.

:rolleyes:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
You never answered my other question. Anyways, no, I'm stupid enough to think that you were elected for this thing. You came up with it yourself. Which is why I wondered if you'd get bored now that this job is mostly over. oh well. I would hope that we wouldn't need to have that Appeals Committee thing, but I guess it would be good to be ready for the worst. How many people have cared to volunteer for that?

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Originally posted by YayGollum
You never answered my other question. Anyways, no, I'm stupid enough to think that you were elected for this thing. You came up with it yourself. Which is why I wondered if you'd get bored now that this job is mostly over. oh well. I would hope that we wouldn't need to have that Appeals Committee thing, but I guess it would be good to be ready for the worst. How many people have cared to volunteer for that?
That thread probably has nothing to do with the rules, but Aulë asked me to do it in that way.

And the Appeals Committee will be mostly formed by people appointed by the Guilds. So the Guilds have to choose their representatives.

Thanks for worrying about me getting bored, by the way ;).

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Well, I was bored. :rolleyes: Anyways, you missed another question. How many people have already volunteered for that Committee thing? Or are all of the people in charge of guildses expected to start ranting at people to take the job? I'd volunteer to help out for the guild of Outcasts. So I won't be bored.

Eriol

Estel
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't get mad at you for doing it ;). And I'd wish you good luck. Some of them answered, some didn't...

If you are bored, go ahead.

Thread suggestions