🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

TTF T-Shirts, Et Cetera

dapence

Reaction score
Well, CafePress told me ... not get this ... I'm violating MY trademark by putting MY artwork on THEIR site. That's just crazy.

When I complained, they then told me that the name Tolkien was trademarked ... which it's not ... you can't trademark or copyright a personal name. They also don't seem to understand just what my relationship with the Tolkien family is to begin with, even when it was proved to them.

At any rate, I'll need to find a better place to offer these T-shirts.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Well, CafePress told me ... not get this ... I'm violating MY trademark by putting MY artwork on THEIR site. That's just crazy.

When I complained, they then told me that the name Tolkien was trademarked ... which it's not ... you can't trademark or copyright a personal name. They also don't seem to understand just what my relationship with the Tolkien family is to begin with, even when it was proved to them.

At any rate, I'll need to find a better place to offer these T-shirts.
I was curious if this ever happened?

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
I seem to have lost my shirt somehow. Elora still has hers as she was wearing it the other day.
Can you post a pic?
It's somewhere in the laundry cycle so I will when it makes a re-appearance. :)
... and here it is...

Egad -- a tank top? I'd be afraid to be seen in public. :oops:
Of course, your physique may differ from mine! :p
And never mind the difference between your physique and Elora's ... :rolleyes:

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Interesting, so that's a called a tank top.
As far as I know, that is by far the most common form of "undershirt" ("Unterhemd") for men (and women) in Germany (and perhaps much of - Continental? - Europe).
Same with underpants, which might be referred to a "briefs" - right, as per Wiki they are, and the tank tops are also called sleeveless shirts or singlets - rather than the more popular boxer shorts (or boxer briefs) in the US.
Egad -- a tank top? I'd be afraid to be seen in public. :oops:
I can second that, for sure! I have, at most, worn one of mine (usually with one of my various sports shorts - NOT only with one of the briefs!) when sitting on our loggia - a balcony indented into the building rather than protruding from it, kind of a "room" with the outer wall missing - on hot days during the last few (especially last two) summers. Usually, though, I'd be wearing a polo shirt and Bermuda shorts during the heat waves - these then outside of our apartment, too.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Hmm.... I always equated 'briefs' as tighty-whiteys and 'Boxers' as loose shorts.
'Tank' is an American thing I believe. the white undershirt of this type is commonly called a 'wife-beater' due to all the Hollywood depictions of sweaty unkempt brutes, etc... Its commonly called a 'singlet' here in Oz

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
'Tank' is an American thing I believe. the white undershirt of this type is commonly called a 'wife-beater' due to all the Hollywood depictions of sweaty unkempt brutes, etc... Its commonly called a 'singlet' here in Oz
Now I would certainly not consider Hollywood a reliable source of anything historical. My fading memory of films of the early-to-mid 1970s is those white undershirts being worn by what the respective film considered underprivileged recent immigrants into slums - basically Italians and Irish, both belonging to the, by WASP standards, despicable or at least doubtful "papists". The young Marlon Brando in the film "A Streetcar named Desire" certainly wore one in the iconic scene where he screams "Stella!", a scene stuck in my mind (I never saw the film itself) by the endless repetition of it in later decades.

Last edited:

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
"Streetcar" was credited with the resurgence in sales of both wife-beaters:
Marlon Brando’s slobby couture in A Streetcar Named Desire caused a national upsurge in under...jpeg
And T's:
A-Streetcar-named-Desire-marlon-brando-30586022-1500-2106.jpg

This must have come as a relief to underwear makers, whose sales plunged after Gable's lack of any undershirt in "It Happened One Night":
images (8).jpeg

And of course the T's popularity only grew, after its adoption by another Rebel:
james-dean-t-shirt1.jpg

Sorry, Olorgando -- there's no escape from Hollywood! :p

Last edited:

Thread suggestions