🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

TTF T-Shirts, Et Cetera

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Historical? I'm talking about terminology today. ;)
Ermyes, but you did refer to Hollywood depictions above. The last three films I can with any certainty say I've seen in a film theater were "Fellowship" in early 2002, "Two Towers" in early 2003, and RoTK in early 2004, all during our nine-year stay in the Frankfurt (Hesse) region. Browsing Wiki for films from 1990 to just past RoTK does not net a large haul of visits to the cinema.
1582653354119.png
Now in some of them there may have been scenes with men (only) wearing undies topside. I find that whether they were wearing t-shits or sleeveless wasn't among the memorable moments to me in any of the probably brief scenes in which such things were to be seen. Maybe the "gals" in the audience have more retentive memories for such things.

Anyway, as we're talking about at least 15 years ago that I was last in a cinema, this would seem to me to be almost ancient history by Hollywood standards.
I mean, we may be nearing the threshold where they start thinking of remakes! 🤮

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Oh, yeah? Then don't wear undershirts. Or do.
See what I mean? No escape! o_O
Oh, I do, and I don't, as I please. But I've certainly run out of tees, if I ever had any in Germany (as underwear). Even for hot summer weather, they've been relegated, if any still exist, to the bottom of inscrutable piles in my wardrobe, as I have found the v-necked (and having a couple of buttons) polo shirts much more to my liking than the round-necked tees. 😝

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
So we're into our personal preferences now?

OK, in that case, I like henleys. I'm sure everyone finds that a matter of great interest! :p

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Well, in the over 44 years that I've basically lived in Germany I had a certain indifferent vacillation between "Schiesser" and "Jockey" (oh - the latter seems to be a US company which branched out into Germany in 1951 - interesting) for quite a while. But in the last well over ten years I have been firmly in the "Trigema" camp. Their stuff takes my abuse much more resiliently.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
Anyway, as we're talking about at least 15 years ago that I was last in a cinema, this would seem to me to be almost ancient history by Hollywood standards.
You reminded me of an interview I saw with one of my favorite actors, Rod Steiger. In the 70's, he underwent two heart surgeries, which led to a stretch of clinical depression (a not unusual side-effect).

When he finally received treatment, he started auditioning again. He described one encounter with an assistant casting director -- "some kid" -- at the end of which he was asked "Oh, by the way -- can you do a Southern accent?".

Thread suggestions