🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Two more unrelated Unfinished Tales questions

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Reaction score
(can you tell I'm in the middle of Unfinished Tales....?)

1. In A Description Of Numenor there is the following quote:
...King's Archers used bows made of hollow steel, with black-feathered arrows a full ell long from point to notch.
What's an ell? Or, how long is it?

2. In the same tale, it talks of Eagles at Meneltarma. Are these eagles the same as the ones in Middle Earth, related, or just coincidence? Just wondering.

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
Webster's defines an "ell" as a unit of measurement 45 in. long. (That's a big arrow.)

As far as the eagles are concerned, I've alway thought of them as the same race as the ones described in The Silmarillion, LOTR and The Hobbit. As you may recall, the eagles are special servants of Manwe.

Feanorian

Reaction score
As far as the eagles are concerned, I've alway thought of them as the same race as the ones described in The Silmarillion, LOTR and The Hobbit. As you may recall, the eagles are special servants of Manwe.
Very close Baragund my friend but not exactly , they were descendants of those Eagles, the first age ealges were most likely Maiar themselves and that those of the third age were still powerful but not to the same level as their forefathers. The Eagles in the first age had very close relations with Manwe but it seems that those of the third were more at the service of those brought to Middle Earth from the West such as Gandalf.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Feanorian
The Eagles in the first age had very close relations with Manwe but it seems that those of the third were more at the service of those brought to Middle Earth from the West such as Gandalf.
The Eagles of all the ages had a very close relationship with the Elder King. They are his servants, messengers, and his 'eyes' so to speak.

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer on an ell. I never thought to look it up in the dictionary, I thought it was a made-up unit of measure. And without the History series of books I didn't think I would find the answer. That's some serious sized arrow. Just a bit smaller then the telephone poles Lurtz was shooting in Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring.

I guess I just assumed the Eagles were all related. I wasn't expecting Eagles to be mentioned in the story of Numenor.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mahal

Reaction score
I don't think the eagels were maiar...I think they came with the music of manwe wich has become a reality. Just like the onodrim of Yavanna...I think the same of dragons from Morgoth. If they were maiar were are they in LOTR because maiar are immortal.

Thread suggestions