🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Two Towers trailer DESCRIPTION HERE !

Arwen

Reaction score
This came from a guy who works at the movie site www.aint-it-cool.com

It runs at nearly four minutes and all I can say is the scale of this one makes Fellowship look like a trip to Austin, (no offense - but the landscape don't change there buddy) Having said that it starts small on a shot of Aragorn picking up I think it is the leaf Merry drops ... but then it gets racing!

This is from memory and one viewing so I can only give impressions. Gandalf the White is in!!!! I was worried they'd try and hide the fact that he returns but oh my God - what a transformation. Except for the eyes McKellen looks nothing like Gandalf the Grey even his voice is changed (they use some dialogue which I don't know if it's in the books or not but is setting up the Two Towers title). I recognized some of the music from Fellowship but I think some of it may be new! They show all the new characters and the one that most impressed me was Bernard Hill (again huge relief because Theoden son of Thengel has to be the greatest character as yet unseen). They use a poem from him over a collection of shots that gave me the chills.

You see Uruks that look like they're at the start of the Helms Deep battle, and at least 3 shots of the real battle. It looks just as I imagined from the book, but the shots I saw had unfinished FX, but should be incredible. Arwen is seen. And Eowyn, who does some mean swings with a sword. There was a quick shot of Pippin on a tree that I think was Treebeard or some other Ent, but the shot was unfinished again.

Lots of shots of Viggo as they seem to be setting up the whole King thing and not so many of Frodo and Sam but what is there looks incredible. Elijah Wood has aged which is impossible to believe but true, he looks like he's disintegrating before your eyes.

I know everyone will want to know about Gollum and I don't want to give the ending away because it is so cool but let me just say have faith. What I saw look to be unfinished footage but I have faith that Weta is not about to drop the ball on this one and the voice -- the voice does it for me every time "the thieves, the filthy little thieves!!!!!" This is it! I watched it and I can't believe it is happening. It ain't over. PJ ****ing rocks!!!!!

ARWEN:I think this trailer will giv me a heart attack when i see it, Eowy will be interesting to see as well, i cant imagine Miranda Otto with a sword.

salva

Reaction score
Any news at all? When will it be in the cinemas? Any place where we can download it? Any ideas? :) I really want to see the Ents.

I think that TTT will be a non-stop film (battling, battling and more battling :))

Salva

Arwen

Reaction score
All i know so far about the trailer is that it's getting attached to FOTR after the Oscars....i dont even know if thats 100%, and if it does get attached to FOTR it will be played after the movie.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Arwen AND Eowyn at Helm's Deep?? Good Lord help us! It just keeps getting better and better doesn't it??

Here let me help you all hoist PJ on our shoulders for staying so true to the book....

And before you all call me a NPW, think about the whole Eowyn situation and the message Tolkien was sending, and why she ended up sneaking to go to Minas Tirith, then tell me that PJ isn't distorting the story...

Though I'm sure that the trailer is exciting (as the first one was and boy was the rest a let down) I still say my phrase I started in October...Down with PJ! :mad:

Gerda Westerhof

Reaction score
Why oh why isn't it out yet?? Now that I know you have already seen it, I cannot wait for the trailer! I'm so curious to see Theoden, Eomer and Eowyn!

I have read more messages about Arwen in Helm's Deep. It seems a bit weird to me that she appears at this moment. Does this mean that Elladan and Elrohir won't play a part in TTT? I hope not, even though they do not play a big role in the book, but it would be interesting to "meet" them.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Oooo! That makes me want to see it NOW!! I can't wait! I think we are in for something really good, by the descriptions above. Goody goody!! :)

PRH

Reaction score
Moriarty from AICN saw the trailer and had this to say:

So I looked again, and I saw the last shot of the film fade to black, and the first of the end titles came up...
... only it didn't. It wasn't the first of the end titles. The screen said "Coming this Christmas," and a sudden electric shock ran down my spine as I realized what Gandalf was showing me. "The journey continues" came up, then gave way to a shot of a pin lying in the grass, shaped like a leaf. Someone leaned in, picked it up, and the camera TILTS UP to the face of Aragorn.
And as soon as you see those shots of Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas on the hunt for Merry and Pippin, you know that everything you liked about FELLOWSHIP is going to be back this time around. Andrew Lesnie's Academy-Award winning cinematography is just as grand and sweeping this time out. The first few images show us the search for Merry and Pippin, but quickly, we are reintroduced to Gandalf The White in an image that should give you some idea of what I encountered here in the Labs tonight, a powerful wizard, bristling with barely restrained might. This is not the frail old man of the first film; not at all.
The dialogue flew past, and I wasn't prepared to write it all down. "So... Gandalf Grayhaven believes he has found the Lost King Of Gondor," muses Saruman, even as Gandalf speaks directly to Isildur's conflicted heir. "Sauron is not yet so powerful that he is without fear. He fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become." There are shots here hinting at the future of Aragorn, at the destiny that is his to claim, and the trailer just keeps ramping up, building steam.
We see Sam and Frodo in the Dead Marshes. "The Ring..." says Frodo. "It grows heavier." Galadriel speaks to someone, pain on her face: "Frodo will not survive this task."
And then it's just one shot right after another, and we're getting our first looks at the characters. We're seeing Theoden and Grima Wormtongue (dear god, Brad Dourif looks perfect) and Faramir and Eowyn, and then two particularly striking shots of Arwen laid out as if dead, and at this point, the images just race by, and we're seeing landscapes and that glorious Howard Shore score just keeps building, and every single frame of Helm's Deep is intense, foreboding, with a couple of battle shots that will make your jaw drop (the ladders being thrown up against the wall and knocked away just as fast while sheets of arrows volley back and forth), and then, HOLY **** WAS THAT TREEBEARD?! And even more shots flash by, and wait a minute, was that four minutes? How can that already be four minutes? I WANT MORE!! I WANT MORE!! I WANT...
... and then those last few shots creep up on you, Gollum creeping down the side of the mountain towards the sleeping Sam and Frodo, hissing under his breath about "the cursed hobbitsesss... cursed thievessssss..." and just as he's reaching out for the Ring, Frodo opens his eyes, and...
... Gandalf snatched the Palantir away from me. I cried out and reached for it, but he shook his head. "Greedy boy, I have others to show this to, and far to travel still tonight."
"Just one more time," I begged, but this only made him laugh, and then I could see the old Gandalf in there, behind those kind eyes.
"It will be in theaters on Friday," he said, "in over 40 different international markets. It will be the same trailer worldwide, all four minutes of it, and New Line is working some magic of their own just to have it ready. It will be there on March 29, and you can see it to your heart's content then. In the meantime, maybe Harry or Quint can fill in some details you missed."
I wanted to ask him if he was on his way to Austin, or if he'd already been, but by that point he was gone, and I found myself here, typing frantically. I hope Gandalf appears for these other guys tonight, because I'm on sensory overload trying to describe what I saw. Maybe they can tell you what Theoden says. Hell, I think the scene in the trailer is the scene Harry was there to watch them film with Bernard Hill. All I know is, as a LOTR fan, I was very pleased by what I saw and heard. Fans around the world are getting a love letter this Friday, cut by Jackson himself, and it doesn't feel like any normal trailer. It feels like a promise: "In December, we're going to do it again."
And ya know what?
I believe him.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRH
Moriarty from AICN saw the trailer and had this to say:

The dialogue flew past, and I wasn't prepared to write it all down. "So... Gandalf Grayhaven believes he has found the Lost King Of Gondor," muses Saruman, even as Gandalf speaks directly to Isildur's conflicted heir. "Sauron is not yet so powerful that he is without fear. He fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become." There are shots here hinting at the future of Aragorn, at the destiny that is his to claim, and the trailer just keeps ramping up, building steam.
We see Sam and Frodo in the Dead Marshes. "The Ring..." says Frodo. "It grows heavier." Galadriel speaks to someone, pain on her face: "Frodo will not survive this task."

Oh, Lord...More incredible dialogue...."Frodo will not survive this task"??? Give me a HUGE break!!!! Do I even need to point out the problems with Galadriel making such a foolish statement?
Once more, we can see a break from intent and meaning with such fantastic dialogue. And once again, Saruman is continually going to be shoved into the spotlight with 90 percent created dialogue....Cinematically, I can imagine the "lustful" feeling this guy is experiencing....However, I'm sure we can expect a further and further moving away from the meaning, symbolism and character intent then what we experienced in the first movie.

:rolleyes:

PRH

Reaction score
"Frodo will not survive this task" is probably followed by something more to the effect of "unless such and such happens."

I had absolutely no problem with all the invented dialog for Saruman in FOTR. They did a good job with his words (his characterization is another matter).

However, I agree that we will probably be seeing more departures from the book as we go along. They're already on celluoid, let's just hope they're few and good.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Will we be able to get the trailer on TV or off the Internet? I don't think I want to admit to my friends that I am obsessive enough to go and see the film AGAIN just to see this trailer!

PRH

Reaction score
just show up at the end!

I'm sure it'll get out on the internet though...it will if I can help it.

ANB614

Reaction score
I will see it again :) I've only seen it twice... but it's not out in ttheaters anymore here :(

Mlangley

Reaction score
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D HERE IN MY COUNTRE IS RE-SHOW THEY WILL PUT THE MOVIE ANGAI IN THE THEATHER, BECAUSE THEY ARE GOING TO SHOW THE SECOND TRIALER!!!!!!!!!! FRIDAY 29 LOL I WILL GO NUTS WHEN i SEE IT:D :D :D

PRH

Reaction score
JUST SAW THE NEW PREVIEW!

I ducked out of work for about 45 minutes and just caught the last few minutes of FOTR. Right after Frodo and Sam descend down the rocks and it fades to black there it was - the glorious 3 1/2 minute preview.

Let me quell some fears:

-There were 4 brief shots of Arwen none of them in any sort of fighting posture.

-Eowyn did not appear at Helm's Deep (that I could see). She does swing a sword at Aragorn (not sure what this was about).

-Gandalf the White looks pretty damn awesome. The robes were quite white, not cream. Gandalf on Shadowfax was just this glorious white thing to behold and it always contrasted everyone else in the shot. He really looks basically like Saruman though (although the robes were completely white).

-Galadriel does not say the quest will fail, she say 'There is nothing we can do to help Frodo, the quest will claim his life.' - which is true in a sense.

Other stuff:

-Helm's Deep looks pretty freakin' awesome. They showed a little fighting and a lot of tense standoff scenes (like the fighting was about to begin). It had a good deal of the feeling from the Last Alliance battle.

-We see the orcs marching M&P (although I couldn't actually see M&P in the crowd.

-Aragorn finds the leaf brooch.

-Gandalf the White seems to appear in Fangorn basically like the book.

-I don't think Faramir looked too cool.

-Eomer had just one very brief shot. It almost looked like he was wearing a suit of armour. It was pretty quick though.

-All you see of the ents is Pippin seeming climbing a tree when an eye suddenly opens. Not really a full picture by any means.

PRH

Reaction score
oh...and Gollum: You see his whole body climbing down a rock (not the face). He looked pretty good. In this shot he really looked like Gollum from Bashki's LOTR (just the body).

Strider97

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing guys- It is not here yet but I can't wait to see the trailer- Damn 9 months to go to the real thing.

PRH

Reaction score
Here's something that's really cool, in the TT preview Theoden says:

Where now the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
This is of course part of the poem about Eorl the Young that Aragorn recites just before he, Gandalf, Legolas and Gimli reach Edoras:
Where now the horse and the rider?
Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?
What a great inclusion of some of the history in LOTR!

Thread suggestions