🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Unfinished Tales... it's place

Thomas Baggins

Aravorn Blacksword
Reaction score
Hmm interesting Gaurdian Ranger I read UT first and I'm reading The Sil right now. How did you like the Sil, I recomend it highly it is an excelent book no matter when you read it, but you probobly should after The Sil.

GuardianRanger

Calmindon
Reaction score
Absolutely love it! As I've said in other posts.....I liked it much more than I thought I would. Yes, it was tough to digest; and I know I'll read it again. But I learned a lot, enjoyed the stories, and was awakened to some of the back stories to Lord Of The Rings. I'm looking forward to Unfinished Tales.

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
I thought the Sil was better than LoTR. It seemed when i read it like Tolkien was writing what he really wanted to, whereas the LoTr, while a fantastic book, just didn't feel like he had the same enthusiasm for what he was writing.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Lindil, the link provided does not seem to work...can you amend it?

lindil

Reaction score
Ancalagon, thnaks for the notice on the link, which has for the moment [at least from my computer] been fixed.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
As it has on mine..was it always working? Like your avatar btw;)

lindil

Reaction score
Thanks, A it took a lot of searching and tinkering to get working.

As for the link, it was working for me when I first posted it. But when i checked it before editing it was not. As it was the same link, but would not work if 'nested'.

I have edited the thread not in 'enhanced mode, now that I think about it, I just noticed that option.

Anyway, enjoy while the link works!

Olorgando

Reaction score
I’m not going near any “real-life chronology” speculation as my feeling is even Christopher Tolkien was baffled often enough.

I’d like to point out (taking the risk of getting into “chestnut” territory) that UT, or at least the First Age parts, have “natural companions” in the poems in “The Lays of Beleriand”, volume 3 of HoMe. The Silmarillion that JRRT himself might have published (some may groan at my (excessively elsewhere stated) comment “had he been given the life-span of Elros”) would look quite a bit different from the published work. JRRT’s Sil would never have resembled LoTR, it would always have been a book “compiling” (and condensing) lore. “Narn” and “Tuor” in UT, “Children of Húrin” and “Leithian” in Lays would have been extended prose and poetry versions of chapter summaries contained in the Silmarillion. And here I mean the Quenta Silmarillion of the published Sil. All First Age stuff. The “Númenor / Atlantis” arc seems to be a rather late addition, like the Second Age itself. So, the “Akallabeth” of the published Sil might not have been in a JRRT-published Sil. I concede I might be wildly wrong here. UT does have some stuff on the Second Age. But it also has some considerable writing on the Third Age – and all of this can only be post-LoTR. As is the relatively short section on the Third age in the published Sil.

The Sil dealing with the First Age is a no-brainer. Second Age – guesswork as far as I can tell, perhaps yes. But there would very likely have been nothing about the Third Age in it. Solution? Publish additional appendices to LoTR. That wouldn’t challenge Harry Potter”, but I can imagine quite a few serious nerds lining up for it.

(Is it likely that Squint-eyed Southerner is going to miss this post and spare me his "Dol Guldur" comment? But then, would I care?) 🤔

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
I’m not going near any “real-life chronology” speculation as my feeling is even Christopher Tolkien was baffled often enough.

I’d like to point out (taking the risk of getting into “chestnut” territory) that UT, or at least the First Age parts, have “natural companions” in the poems in “The Lays of Beleriand”, volume 3 of HoMe. The Silmarillion that JRRT himself might have published (some may groan at my (excessively elsewhere stated) comment “had he been given the life-span of Elros”) would look quite a bit different from the published work. JRRT’s Sil would never have resembled LoTR, it would always have been a book “compiling” (and condensing) lore. “Narn” and “Tuor” in UT, “Children of Húrin” and “Leithian” in Lays would have been extended prose and poetry versions of chapter summaries contained in the Silmarillion. And here I mean the Quenta Silmarillion of the published Sil. All First Age stuff. The “Númenor / Atlantis” arc seems to be a rather late addition, like the Second Age itself. So, the “Akallabeth” of the published Sil might not have been in a JRRT-published Sil. I concede I might be wildly wrong here. UT does have some stuff on the Second Age. But it also has some considerable writing on the Third Age – and all of this can only be post-LoTR. As is the relatively short section on the Third age in the published Sil.

The Sil dealing with the First Age is a no-brainer. Second Age – guesswork as far as I can tell, perhaps yes. But there would very likely have been nothing about the Third Age in it. Solution? Publish additional appendices to LoTR. That wouldn’t challenge Harry Potter”, but I can imagine quite a few serious nerds lining up for it.

(Is it likely that Squint-eyed Southerner is going to miss this post and spare me his "Dol Guldur" comment? But then, would I care?) 🤔
Wow!! I concur with pretty much everything you said. :)

Galin

Reaction score
About the inclusion of Akallabeth and "OTROP", Christopher Tolkien explained:

"The book, though entitled as it must be The Silmarillion, contains not only the Quenta Silmarillion, or Silmarillion proper, but also four other short works. The Ainulindale and Valaquenta, which are given at the beginning, are indeed closely associated with The Silmarillion; but the Akallabeth and Of The Rings Of Power, which appear in the end, are (it must be emphasized) wholly separate and independent. They are included according to my father's explicit intention; and by their inclusion the entire history is set forth from the Music of the Ainur in which the world began to the passing of the Ringbearers from the Havens of Mithlond at the end of the Third Age."

CJRT, Foreword, The Silmarillion

I think Tolkien "intended" to include The Drowning of Anadûne as well.

I don't have explicit evidence to that, however.

Thread suggestions